Author Topic: Sparring woes  (Read 3514 times)

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
Sparring woes
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
As soon as i got world adventures i started a new sim, athletic, lucky, brave and disciplined, with martial arts, trained my lvl 10 athletics sim to the max, broke countless space rocks.... then he was beaten 8 times in a row by his teen sister that had no athletics, was a couch potato and only had lvl 1 martial arts.
I later found that this wasn't just bad luck due to the sadorandom number generator, this was an incredibly common occurrence; it didn't mattered that i had 783 wins under the belt, J.R. Nobody with lvl 1 martial arts and all the possible bad moodlets and bad traits still had decent chances to beat my guy.
A check to MATY forums and pescado confirms it, the equation used to check this is very similar in form to the one that caused this:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new spearman beats tank.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Sparring woes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
Ha ha! An old time Civ player!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
I loved the Civilization games! I got the third when my friend told me about it and the fourth recently when I realized that they had the complete edition for a very cheap price. I love your reference!
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
Yes, it SURE brought back unpleasant memories.

Tanks and warships against their peers, gentlemen war and all, but natives with sticks? Heck no, nuke them before they kill my armored cavalry.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »
I've also noticed that! Really, how easy is it to beat a martial arts champion?

PS. Don't mock the spearman vs tank strategy, it's an insult to all those poor spearmen who walked 20 miles from Berlin bearing spears in the 19th century to Tenochtitlan that had jet fighters since America was discovered and won with microscopic deaths thanks to pure skill (and maybe a tad of luck)! :D
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
The main problem with spearman vs tank is that it happened BEFORE 300 was filmed.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
More like "5.3 - the movie"
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:21 AM »
I think all that factors into sparring is...mood, experience, disciplined, and rank. Athletics maybe, i'm not sure on that one. I didn't notice lucky having any impact on the results of a spar.

I've never had an issue with being beaten by lesser ranked opponents...unless my sim hadn't sparred very much.

I did have one funny though...one of my sims was disciplined but only white belt and managed to beat a rank 7 sim in a spar.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:04 AM »
I did have one funny though...one of my sims was disciplined but only white belt and managed to beat a rank 7 sim in a spar.

Wow!   :o
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."