Author Topic: Going Down around Noon  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Going Down around Noon
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:17 AM »
I'm moving the database server. I'll put it in maintenance just before the move.

As it says, we are going down at about noon. I will put the forum into maintenance mode just before the switch. We'll go offline for hopefully no more than 10 minutes.

CarlosLordofTacos

Re: Minor downtime
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
What does this mean, exactly and when are you doing this? I`m not a technical kind of person. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Going Down around Noon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
What does this mean, exactly and when are you doing this? I`m not a technical kind of person. :P

It means you won't be able to access the Forum during that time. You'll reach a page that says the Forum is in Maintenance Mode that only Admins can log in from.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

CarlosLordofTacos

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
I love how Carl always edits his posts to answer my questions and I look even dumber. You sneak, you! ::)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Upgrade Successful
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
Well I am happy that it took me less than 15 minutes. It felt like much longer.

Since you asked, Carlos, I'll explain exactly what went on. I was just looking for a reason ;)

Our database is now hosted on a cloud, and I can back it up with a single click. Since the database is what holds all our posts and statistics, it's very important. Clouds are a cool new concept for the web. There are many virtual servers in a cloud, and I can expand the capabilities of our piece of that real-estate by adding more memory any time I need it. Because data is stored across multiple systems, it would take a whole lot of failures at once to put the data at risk.  It's very, very cool technology.

For now it's just the database. The upcoming January is the next downtime I have planned, when I will move the rest of this to the cloud.

Edit:  Oh yeah, you should use this little tag so people don't think others are crazy. I'll keep that in mind for you Carlos. Lol. Seriously, I guess I was a little caught up in the moment when I did that :D

Leto85

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
I love how Carl always edits his posts to answer my questions and I look even dumber. You sneak, you! ::)

Whahaha, that really made me laugh. But I'm glad you've explained this now Carlos. Now we all know you're in fact pretty intelligent. :P

CarlosLordofTacos

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
I can`t edit or delete my posts because I am stuck on mobile web due to running out of data on my dongle.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything