Author Topic: Male sims on maternity leave?  (Read 11810 times)

Offline TheGoat

• Townie
Male sims on maternity leave?
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »
I'm not sure if I got a message about this or not, because I tend to X-out messages without reading them, but...

...My male sim, who just married and impregnated the love of his life, isn't due to go to work for 2 and a half weeks (he's an astronaut).  I figured it was some weird glitch, but on Tuesday morning at 1 am (the end of a normal cosmonaut's shift) he received almost 7 grand for "personal time off."  Did my male sim just get maternity leave?  Anyone else have this happen?

If so, I suspect it's a glitch, but I think it's awesome my sims live in such a progressive society that both parents get PAID time off to tend to their children!!! (and since the mom's lifetime wish is surrounded by family, there will be a LOT of maternity leave to go around!)

goat

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
Re: Male sims on maternity leave?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:35:14 AM »
No bug, no glitch this time. It's a new feature from Generations. There is now maternity leave for fathers, and I think that siblings too receive some days off from school.
Newlyweds also have some days off from work.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:13:19 AM »
No bug, no glitch this time. It's a new feature from Generations. There is now maternity leave for fathers, and I think that siblings too receive some days off from school.
Newlyweds also have some days off from work.

I heard about it, but really had no idea that even existed in-game. Kinda weird, you know. o_O
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
Oh Boy this thread just made my day! I always thought it was unfaire that only moms get to leave, dads too take care of children you know...
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Not exactly the same situation, but if two men adopt a baby together, the one who made the call will get time off, too.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 11:57:54 PM »
Men get maternity leave in my country (we don't call it maternity leave though, that might be silly), but I had no idea Sims could too. Do they get the same time off as the mother?

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:21:43 AM »
Do they get the same time off as the mother?
No I think it's shorter, 1 or 2 days maybe.

I still liked the Sims 2 system better, at least for the mother. She would receive some days off, but those were not forced on her. So, if it was some kind of legacy home with grandparents, or if the father could stay at home after the birth, the mom could get back to work if she wanted.

Sims 3 looks a bit more "old fashioned" sometimes.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
Sims 3 looks a bit more "old fashioned" sometimes.

Well, it is said to be set 50 or more years before the second series, so for a reason, that is. ;)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline folcon

• Immortal
Re: Male Sims on maternity leave?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
This is just me nitpicking, but wouldn't male Sims get Paternity leave instead of Maternity leave?

CarlosLordofTacos

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:58:02 AM »
Alliteration over accuracy. ;)

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »
When there is no woman in the couple, the man receives the same days a mother would.  I would be curious to know if a male/female couple adopted and the man made the call, if he would get the days off.  Might have to try that out today.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
Well, it is said to be set 50 or more years before the second series, so for a reason, that is. ;)

This is only said by players.  EA has never implied that there was a Sims timeline as far as I'm aware. 

The technology level in the games offers a different opinion, however.  Wall mounted televisions, for example, did not exist before console models.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
This is only said by players.  EA has never implied that there was a Sims timeline as far as I'm aware. 

But it does make sense.  In Original Sims, Bella and Mortimer were all grown up and married.  In Sims 3 they're still children, so obviously Sims 3 is set in an earlier time period than the first game.  Sims 2 - I can't remember, as I only ever played a town I populated with all my own characters.  But wasn't Bella missing and living in Strangetown, or some such thing?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
But it does make sense.  In Original Sims, Bella and Mortimer were all grown up and married.  In Sims 3 they're still children, so obviously Sims 3 is set in an earlier time period than the first game.  Sims 2 - I can't remember, as I only ever played a town I populated with all my own characters.  But wasn't Bella missing and living in Strangetown, or some such thing?

Bella was meant to have been abducted by aliens, and I think her and Morty had a child..

Offline folcon

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
Aren't we getting a little off topic here?