Author Topic: Babble Thread Blues  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Babble Thread Blues
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
The Babble Thread is getting so fast and active that it is hard for anyone to keep up. I have received concerns from multiple folks here on the forum that it has changed so much that it's almost unusable for its original purpose. It's for babble, yes, but so often there is not much of a real topic there. Its name is almost deceiving, I suppose. You can change the topic freely but it is all too fast. That is not only because of the growth of the forum but because the thread itself seems to have an identity crisis. People bring up interesting things in their lives and they get ignored by the rapid pace. There is way too much back and forth.

One thing that shouldn't really be talked about there is Sims. Yep, that's off topic and it makes sense. Every other board and topic in the forum is about Sims. I need you all to try harder to make meaningful posts and watch making multiple one-line responses back and forth. Folks who used to frequent the Babble Thread have all but stopped and that is distressing to me.  We have people here who have been around over a year and are dedicated to this place, have made friendships with other members, and are interested in each other's lives. That conversation is getting lost in a swarm of the wrong kind of babble.

Things are shifting so fast that the viability of the thread for the future is in question. Will I have a babble thread in this state at 2-300 people active per day? No. It takes up space and bandwidth, and for the most part people chatting back and forth can use the PM system or social networking. At traffic levels that high so much information would be packed into the babble thread that moderators would have a hard time policing it, at that!

Facebook groups, adding each other to instant messengers, and using our PM system all are options for folks who like to frequently talk back and forth to one another. Stop by the babble thread to share with the whole community when you have something to talk about in your life, or want to talk about some hobby, show you like, etc. I do not want the conversation to stop but I need it to be cleaned up a bit to make it accessible to all our members.

Sportsfan

Re: Babble Thread Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
Sorry Carl. I know that I was one of the people doing that a lot. So, I'm sorry.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Well I was not out to single anyone out. It is not just you at all. I find it really admirable that you would say so publicly in the announcement thread. Thank you so much for that and I'm sure anyone concerned will feel the same as I do :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
I know that you didn't mean to single anyone out, but I know for a fact that I'm guilty in doing so, too. My sincere apologies.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Thanks Chronic. I'm not annoyed with anyone at all. In order for people to know my feelings on something, I have to express them. This was the first time I'd said anything. Again it's brave to jump in and say you think it's you. To anyone else who feels that way just follow their example and try to keep it clean. :)

Unfortunately it is a warning call to the forumers who want to keep that thread alive. I don't want to have to ask mods to police it heavily after I lay down some rule. So it's either in or out, and I would really like to keep it as it is an avenue through which the community can get to know one another better.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
Gosh, this was me too. I'm sorry, Carl. :(

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
Thanks Fez. You're nice for posting here too. I think that things will be so much better now that people are aware of how we intend the Babble Thread to be used. I am glad that I could get my point out to you all.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
Yikes. I, as a legendary member who have been here for almost 2 years, am also guilty of this.  :-[ Sorry Carl.

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
Even though I have been here with this account for a fraction of that time, I probably acquired my posting status from doing the exact thing. I know you didn't mean to single anyone out, and you didn't. This is just me apologizing for that and saying that I will keep in mind your suggestions for what to put on the Babble Thread. Thanks. :)
Check out my new story here!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
I had stopped reading the babble thread recently because I was overwhelmed with how much to read to catch up. But the more I put it off, the bigger it got. I thought this was a problem with myself, but maybe this will make it better.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
I second what Pally said, about avoiding the Babble Thread, it had become too exclusive and ... I can't find a word that I think wouldn't offend someone ... teen babble, can I say that? No offense to the preteens and teens meant but I agree with Carl - if you want to chat amongst yourselves about everything and anything feel free to do so but leave the Babble Thread conversation open for everyone to participate in, please.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Natsuko

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
I also, began ignoring the babble thread. I know that it's fun to chat and talk...but it seemed to get to exclusive, and very random. I left for ten minutes, and four pages of the babble thread came up. It's becoming impossible to catch up. I hope that people take Carl's post into consideration. The babble thread is fun, but maybe to frivolous.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
There's been a thing about post count lately.  Some members are trying to push their post count numbers up and were using the Babble Thread for this purpose, just posting as much as possible no matter how irrelevant it was.  I'd like to say that driving up post counts like that is pointless and even annoying.  What good is it to have 500 posts if 75% of them are useless babble posts?  Your post count is supposed to reflect your experience status on the Forum.  We have always tried to provide high quality information here and filling even the Babble Thread with all of this silliness really isn't good for our reputation.  I hope everyone will take this to heart and remember it while visiting the Forum.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »
Sorry, Pam and Carl. Of course I'll take this to heart, it is "Carl and Pam's Forum" to begin with. Plus I respect all the administrators and moderators and would take into account anything they said. I hope you will realize that this is a sincere apology, and (I consider) one of my more useful posts on the forum. :)
Check out my new story here!

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
I can definitely relate to this. It does get annoying when the Babble Thread grows very quickly. I remember looking at someone profile who joined a few months ago and had already reached Legendary Member status. (I won't name them.) Lets hope some of the biggest posters read this.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

anything