Author Topic: Sims 3 - Factory Reset: Fix Your Game with 1/4 the Time of a Reinstall  (Read 171474 times)

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
Re: Factory Reset: Fix Your Game with 1/4 the Time of a Reinstall
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
I have a question about limited edition content.

If I do a reset will the content show up again or do I have to download it again just as I would would store content?

If I have to download it again won't it say that the code has already been used?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Limited edition content works like store content. If you go to "purchase history," you'll see the limited edition content like the other store stuff.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TumblrAddict

• Nooboo
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
Hi Moonsareblue. I was wondering if by adding my saves to my new folder, my families will be there in my new game. I want to start fresh. Without those saved families  :o
Please help!

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
I'm not Moons, but if you don't want your old families, just do the factory reset and don't transfer your saves.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Hi Moonsareblue. I was wondering if by adding my saves to my new folder, my families will be there in my new game. I want to start fresh. Without those saved families  :o
Please help!

If you don't want to have the saved games in your new folder, just don't copy them there.
Of course if you don't like your current save, you can always just start a new game in a world and make a new save file. No need for a complete factory reset for just that.
If you mean families that are in your library, that's a different thing. But you can always delete them from your library while playing. Hope you got the info you needed :)
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

Offline armstras06

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
Mine has been crashing since Supernatural. I bought a new computer in August to play it and when I installed Supernatural it began crashing in create a sim mode after 30mins. I turned the DEP on for the file still nothing. Seasons is doing it to.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 02:53:18 AM »
Mine has been crashing since Supernatural. I bought a new computer in August to play it and when I installed Supernatural it began crashing in create a sim mode after 30mins. I turned the DEP on for the file still nothing. Seasons is doing it to.

[Game Crashing? Here's what to do] - this is probably the thread you want. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Serena Darrin

• Immortal
  • Back to School
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
I knew there was a way to do this without re-installing, and when looked around on the web, I found your post.

Thank you!

This has fixed my game after installing patch 1.42.

Offline KrisVicious

• Llama Wrangler
  • KrisVicious
    • KrisVicious Sims Stories
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:44 AM »
This didnt work for me.. I may have a bad save like was mentioned...  :'( My game still wont load... any ideas? Help please.... lol

Offline Daemo

• Nooboo
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
Hello,

Maybe you could move the showtime warning to the top of the first post instead of after the instructions of how to do the factory reset.  For those who do as they read...the warning comes a little too late **bursts out laughing**

Offline LadyMacGuffin

• Nooboo
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »
Having had to do this a couple of times now, I've made myself a little handy list of the files to be copied from the old Sims folder to the new one, so as to avoid having to reinstall everything, avoid losing saved Sims, etc.  I just wanted to share it where it might be found by people looking for this kind of information. :)  (BTW, I've been reading these forums for ages, since long before I even signed up for an account, IIRC. This is just the first time I've got anything to say that I thought was worth sharing ;)).

Folders:

Saves (this is your saved games; sometimes when doing this, I only copy the most recent games, knowing I can restore older backups later if I need to)

Mods (assuming you have mods, and as this is often a source of difficulty, you might want to reinstall selectively if you're trouble-shooting, etc.)

SavedSims (sims you've downloaded or created and saved to the bin)

InstalledWorlds (includes store worlds and custom content worlds; EP worlds are stored with the actual game install)

DCBackup (the ONLY thing in here you actually need is the ccmerged.package; everything else can go if you need to save the space or just don't want to copy it over)

DCCache (this appears to be where the game stores all the information on your installed content, so if you copy this over, you don't have to reinstall it all)

Library (saved or downloaded lots, households, etc.)

Individual files (all found in the main root of The Sims 3 folder):

Options.ini (all your saved options such as volume, game options, windowed mode, etc. etc.)

userPresets.package (all your saved patterns, styles, and other such data)

As far as I can tell, and based on my own experimentation and stuff I've read around the web, that should restore all your content, saves, etc., and it still does generate the "factory reset" as far as I'm able to tell (even the install information, which surprised me).

I hope this is helpful. I seem to spend more time fixing things than I do playing the game.... *sigh*

Offline ssaff

• Nooboo
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »
Thanks to MoonsAreBlue for starting this thread.
I would "never" have thought of FactoryReset involving human intervention (*chuckles*).
You have generated a plethora of Helpful Hints - too-numerous-to-read (At The Moment [ATM]); too fabulous to not bookmark.
Thanks to EveryOne who has responded to MoonsAreBlue - I'm looking forward to revisiting 'Bookmarks' and getting to know you better.
:D

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
I would like to point out that while keeping some of the things that Lady MacGuffin pointed are does help in saving time from reinstalling.   Moving over those files can negate the effects of doing the factory reset.   Something in one of those folders could be exactly why you're having the problem in the first place.   Always put back folders with caution.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
I'm having a problem with not being able to place community lots even when I change the correct size to the right type.  Could a factory reset fix this?

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
Hey Moons, I've done this alot and it's always fixed my problems. Until yesterday. I was playing in Starlight Shores and the lag got so awful I saved and quit. I than renamed the folder, started the launcher got a brand new folder, I just added a couple store items, and my save file I was playing. Started the game back up and it's still so laggy, getting through 1 sim day takes about half an hour. Is it Starlight Shores? I know Bridgeport is laggy, but I hadn't heard that about SS. Any ideas?