Author Topic: Question on Saddles  (Read 7853 times)

Dellena

Question on Saddles
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:20:54 AM »
I'm hoping someone out there with more practical knowledge can answer this for me (you know who you are  ;) ).

I would like to be as accurate as possible on which saddles I should use for racing and jumping.  There are several to choose from but I'm not sure which is better for racing and jumping.  I know they have no effect on the game, just visually.  But I'd like to be accurate.

MaryMarsh

Re: Question on Saddles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:24 AM »
Use racing saddles for racing; jumping saddles for jumping .... LOL

If you really want to be correct, use the smallest, flattest saddle for racing -- it looks like a minimalist English saddle. Western saddles (the ones with a horn and elevated pommel and cantle) are not used in conventional horse racing or jumping. Contrariwise, you may be roleplaying that "racing" equates to barrel racing, in which case you would use a Western saddle.

For show jumping, use an English style saddle only. In universal terms, there are four types of English saddle - pleasure, jumpseat, dressage, and cutback. Pleasure, dressage and jumpseat English saddles appear similar; however, jumping saddles will usually have a sueded pad at the front of the jockey flap, which allows the rider better grip with their knees while taking jumps. Pleasure, cutback, and dressage saddles generally will not have a padded jockey flap. Some advanced dressage saddles may have a somewhat elevated cantle and padded jockey flap, which assists the rider's purch during such movements as the levade or capriole. Cutback saddles often have a pommel that is "cut back" and will have jockey flaps that appear square. Cutback saddles are usually worn by American Saddlebreds and Tennesee Walking horses, never for jumping.

Cross country events get a little more prickly, as they can include:

Competitive trail riding
Orienteering and hacking
Cross Country Jumping
Fox hunting (now outlawed in many countries, including Great Britain)
Steeplechase (this is what I think EA had in mind for Sims)
Hunter Pacing

Generally, all these events are done with a jumpseat saddle; though, I have seen quite a few riders using Western saddles for competitive trail riding.

This is really a huge question, so please forgive my oversimplification.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks Mary!  That helped a lot for me to better identify the saddles in CAS.  And I hadn't considered 'racing' with the western saddles till you mention barrel racing.  Gives me ideas for down the road if I do a more western type ranch.

Later, I'll post a list of the saddles in CAS and see if I ID them correctly. :D

MaryMarsh

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
I didn't want to obfuscate my response further, but there are even more types of Western saddle (I've never been a big user of Western saddles, so it's not my forte). Notwithstanding, there are Western saddles designed specifically for roping, barrel racing, training, endurance, trailriding, and all around. In the briefest terms, these are deliniated by the tree (framework upon which the saddle is built), ruggedness of the horn, height of the cantle, weight, and turnout of the jockey flap and fender. Somewhere along the way, I even saw a Western saddle with no horn at all -- I think it was used in bronc riding (in rodeo), probably to help prevent the male competitor from exiting said event with a soprano voice.

I could go even deeper into this fascinating subject because not all horses/breeds are created equal. For instance, Arabian horses have one less vertebrae in their backs than other breeds, making them shorter coupled and often necessitating saddles that are built on modified trees. Typically, saddle trees are constructed of wood and wrapped in thin wet rawhide, which dries as a very tough membrane around the wooden tree. Other parts of the saddle are then attached -- skirt, seat, pommel, cantle, jockey flaps, fender, stirrups, etc.

Sims 3 Pets seems to make no distinction among saddles, except vanilla English saddle, jumpseat English saddle, racing saddle (flat, very small English saddle), and a rather ubiquitous Western saddle.

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
So, let me see if I get this right.

Saddles in CAS from the top down:

1.  Jumpseat English
2.  Western
3.  Western
4.  English
5.  Racing
6.  English
7.  Western

If I'm correct, what's the difference between #4 and #6?  Or do they serve the same purpose?  My guess is the #4 is a general purpose saddle while #6 could be more for cross country?

Thanks!

MaryMarsh

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »
I think the distinction is largely esoteric. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in it. Battery about drained, so must log.

BTW ... there are options for bridle types ... these appear to be snaffle (English) and curb (Western). This can get pretty involved too, but happily EA has restricted our choices. Use only the snaffle bridle (does not have side extensions) for jumping and conventional racing.

And then there are breastplates (under accessories) ... but my battery is gone  ;D

Enjoy.