Author Topic: Tips before uploading a house to the swap shop  (Read 13362 times)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Tips before uploading a house to the swap shop
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:34:27 AM »
I've been looking at some of the houses available here and I think there are a few things people could do before they upload houses.
I know sometimes we are excited about building a house and sharing it, which is good, and we want to upload it as soon as we can. Maybe it's for a contest and you want to get your entry in quick, maybe you just want to share a house that you are proud of. Whatever the circumstances, I think we can all benefit from taking the time to do a few things before we upload.

When you are finished your house, take a good look in every room to make sure you haven't forgotten anything. If all seems right, then share the build.
Once the file is in the export folder, move a sim into the house (this is of course presuming you built without occupants) and have them walk through the house and do things. By this I mean everything.. have them use every toilet, shower and bath. Have them sleep or at least relax on every bed and every side of double beds. Make them enter every room and use every door. Have them use every appliance. Make a mess in the kitchen and have them clean up.. is there a garbage close by or do they have to walk all the way to the garbage by the front gate?
Take particular note where you have things close together or have used moveobjects  to place things, can appliances still be used, can sims get where they want to go?
As you do this, make notes on things that need to be fixed, and believe me, you will be surprised at what you find that you thought was fine.
Once you have done this, move the sim out and bulldoze the house. Import your shared house into the game and then delete that share file. Go back in and fix everything and re-share the house. This may be time consuming, but the end result will be a better build that people will appreciate more when they move their sim in.

Edit: Another important thing to check is how the house preforms if you have used cheats (mainly the constrainfloorelevation cheat) while building. Because the game can do some strange things because of this cheat, it is really important to not only test the house as it was built, but to demolish that house and install it again from the share file. A perfectly good looking house can have some major problems when it is installed from the share file. See this topic for an example of what can happen.

Please don't be upset by my comments, but I have seen some wonderful builds that were really let down by the fact that they were not tested before sharing.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
Re: Tips before uploading a house to the swap shop.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Point well made.  I never thought of doing that. If I had the railings around the top of the stairs in my octagonal tower house would have been deleted before uploading.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Very good point, I need to keep this one mind.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Twinmum.  I hope this will improve the experience of the Swap Shop.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »
I think you've made some excellent points, Norma and explained really well.  I have to admit to not checking every single thing when I play test any house I build, I will do in future, as I agree, it's disappointing to download something and then have to move things around because it doesn't work properly.  Thank you.

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
indeed this is a good tip, I have recently started messing around with moveobjects on, and I find it necessary to test before uploading, I also have seen some Items switching levels (landscaping when placed on other then the ground level, making sure everything was play tested gives the down loader a better feeling about the house, and also leaving enough room for routing, but that is a whole other story ;D

maybe I would suggest sticking this in the house and lots sub forum instead? it would get more attention there, and it deserves it :)
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
I've just updated the original post to include my latest lesson using CFE lol
Maybe it probably would be better in the houses and lots sub forum. I'll have to ask a mod to do that.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
Ok so i've been living in this house for more than a whole sim week trouble free. Upload time... Except I don't know what to do. I can't find it in search because my browser has some sort of aversion to the search function on this forum. Could someone provide me a link to the Read First topic? It will mean so much to me.
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Ok so i've been living in this house for more than a whole sim week trouble free. Upload time... Except I don't know what to do. I can't find it in search because my browser has some sort of aversion to the search function on this forum. Could someone provide me a link to the Read First topic? It will mean so much to me.

Do you mean instructions on how to upload to the forum?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline donatello

• Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:20:13 PM »
Yes please Tom, that's what I meant. This will (quite obviously, I think) be my first share ever. I feel a bit helpless.
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
You can find the how to guide here but another way to look for it would have been to go to the Swap Shop main area and it's one of the stickied threads on the main board.  That is also where you will find the rules & the instructions/guidelines on what information needs to be in your post.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline donatello

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
Thank you so much!