Author Topic: Listing what EP's and SP's we use in uploads  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Listing what EP's and SP's we use in uploads
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
When we upload a house or lot to the Swap Shop, we list any Expansion and Stuff packs used, but I have just realized a potential problem.
Instead of actually listing all the EP's and SP's, people are just saying all. This is fine at the moment, but what happens later on when there has been more EP's and SP's released? Someone looking to download a particular lot might be discouraged because they don't have the latest EP, and the lot they want says it uses content from all the expansion packs.

Maybe we should take the little extra time to list them all instead of just saying all. It's not that hard to do as we build. items are marked if they are from an EP or SP, so if you use something, just write down which one. You only need to keep track untill you have used something from each one (you only have to list each one once)

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Listing what EP's and SP's we use in uploads
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
Agreed.  Another great idea.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Sportsfan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
This is a great idea!

If I could add on, if you only use a couple of lights or a door or a window from and EP or SP, it's nice to know for the people that don't have the EP/SP and are hoping to download it without major things being changed.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Yes, some things can easily be substituted with other items, but of course some things like the spiral stairs have no substitute. Then there are items that involve interactions that were introduced in that EP. Maybe we could just make a note whether substitutions would be possible.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Sportsfan

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Yes, some things can easily be substituted with other items, but of course some things like the spiral stairs have no substitute. Then there are items that involve interactions that were introduced in that EP. Maybe we could just make a note whether substitutions would be possible.
I wasn't thinking of that so much as just saying if there is a lot of things from that EP/SP, or just a few.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
That's a very good idea. I just changed one of my uploads from "all EPs and SPs" to "all EPs and SPs before Pets." I never would have thought about this if you hadn't brought it up! Thanks!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
I have been thinking of changing saying "WA, AMB, LN, GEN, PETS, HELS, FLS" to "All EP's up to and including Pets, HELS, and FLS". I now will make sure if I do that to say that, not "all".

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
I agree too, very good idea.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure if the patterns show which expansion pack they come from however as EA has (wonderfully) designed it so that items will be replaced by an equivalent if the downloader does not have the expansion pack, I suppose that it doesn't really matter...?

Just thought, I heard that patterns get downloaded with houses (even if there are sometimes problems), I wonder if that goes for EA created patterns too?

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
I believe new expansion patterns show up in game when you install a patch. I know the world adventures patterns still show up in my game even though I uninstalled it due to all the annoying bugs.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Fellly

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »
That would be useful.
But I think that it's more important to specify the latest patch we had when we built the lot.
I know that I have tried to install many lots unsuccesfully, because I didn't have the same patch as the builder, although it required only the Base Game..

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
That's interesting Felly. I had asked in a different thread about houses that I build being compatible with player with just the base game (assuming I have only used base game items) and the answer was yes they were compatible. I guess that we just assume that even base game players have the latest patch, where this might not be the case.
It was a concern of mine because in TS2, it was very much a case of you needing the same expansions as the builder to be able to use their houses.
I guess the only way we could get around it is to mention either what patch we had at the time or just point out that if a house doesn't 'work' then maybe the person needs to update their game to the latest patch.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:08 AM »
Actually that's a really good point about the patches. I know from personal experience that, when downloading Sims, in order for them to show up in your game then you must be patched to at least the same level as the person that created them (if you are not patched to the same level or higher then the Sim will not appear in your Sim Bin).  Must admit that I didn't realise that it also applied to houses.

Offline DLSpurlock

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
Is there a way to get a listing of what Expansion and Stuff Packs an object came from? Or do I need to check each item individually?

Also, do you allow EA store items here?

I do not use CC and am very careful not to install it. So I know my designs are clear of that. But I am thinking about sharing some of my designs and want to know the easiest way to get the needed information.

Thanks.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
Store items are absolutely fine to use. It's best to list them in the thread, but they're allowed.

As for listing where items came from, I don't know of an easy way to do it. I myself make a mental note each time I use an EP-specific item.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Is there a way to get a listing of what Expansion and Stuff Packs an object came from? Or do I need to check each item individually?

Also, do you allow EA store items here?

I do not use CC and am very careful not to install it. So I know my designs are clear of that. But I am thinking about sharing some of my designs and want to know the easiest way to get the needed information.

Thanks.

If you have a look at the entries for the stuff packs on the Expansions Guide you will see what came in each (they are not all there at the moment, but should be completed some time soon. As for the expansions, you will have to check the items. What I do when I'm building, is make a note when I add something that is not from the base game (it's easy because everything has an icon for where it's from). It's a lot easier than going through a build at the end.
Yes we allow store content in things in the Swap Shop, but not if it's an entry in a building contest. If you include store content, please list items that are used with a link to them at the store.

anything