Author Topic: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - COMPLETE  (Read 33329 times)

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 28
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Chapter 28 - Adulthood

First, mine and Jack's birthdays. He aged up having just left the bathroom, which is always classy. At least it wasn't in the bathroom.

Then me. I got to the cake in time for mine. We both look identical to before, and both had a midlife crisis.

Gwenlyn was very excited. I assumed it was about us aging up.

Turns out it was more likely to be about this...

I can't exactly tell her off. At her age I was doing the same with Jack.

Most of the rest of the time she's working on her logic. She's given up on the chemistry set for a little while and is now using her telescope.

And she finally took my advice to try chess. Here she is beating JC Naylor and Daniel Donelley. Maybe we've finally discovered the significance of the gloves, too, for playing chess with an ice chess set.

Amelia keeps cooking for us. She's dead, but that doesn't stop her honing her skills.

And in other news, I supermaxed athletic with my 60th hour of strength workout. That's why I look a World's Strongest Woman contestant in my birthday pictures.

Grandma Eleri keeps getting weird things in the post. She always runs out to the mailbox before anyone else can, sifts out the blue envelope that arrives every day, and then reads it. I don't know what the letters are about, but she always looks worried afterwards. Which obviously makes the rest of us worried. For all the weirdness in my family, we don't do secrets.

QUESTION: I'm trying to decide on a future career for Gwenlyn: ghostbuster or private investigator? I've never done either. Which one is more fun to play?

Eleri Afon - 1st Generation: IMMORTAL

Rhiannon Afon - 2nd Generation - IMMORTAL

Anwen Afon - 3rd Generation - IMMORTAL

Megan Afon - 4th Generation

LTW: Become a Superstar Athlete
Career: Professional Sports (6/10)
SuperMax Skill: Athletics (done!)
Building: Llama Memorial Stadium
Property: Riverview Gymnasium (currently level 2)
Lifetime Rewards: Food Replicator, Long-Distance Friend, Office Hero
Best Friends: Jack Afon, Brandie Pressley, Gwenlyn Afon
Opportunities: Don't Sweat, When to Riot, The Complete Circuit, Always the Difficult Ones, Bounce the Crowd, Kicking the Cramps
Paintings: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA, Adult
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA, Adult

Gwenlyn Afon - 5th Generation
LTW: Chess Legend
Career:
SuperMax Skill: Logic (9/10)
Building: County Care General Hospital
Property: Cemetery
Lifetime Rewards:
Best Friends: Megan Afon, Ollie Afon
Opportunities:
Paintings: Toddler, Child, Teen
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 26
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
Personally, I like the Ghost Hunter profession quite a bit, and the Private Investigator not quite so much. Maybe you could start a quick test game and give each of them a try for a sim day or two?

Whichever one you pick, don't let her Logic skill get too high before you join up! Both of them, you get Profession Experience for raising your Logic skill - if you have logic at a high level  at the start you'll have to do a lot more jobs to max out the career.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 28: Adulthood
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
Oops, her logic has been at level 10 from about halfway through her teen years. Still, she's got plenty of time, and plenty of grandmas to look after any nooboo! I think I'm going with ghostbuster, that seems the most fun from my (very quick) testing.

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »
Chapter 29: Family Meeting

"Rhi, Anwen, Megan, Gwenlyn. I need to tell you something."

Nobody ever suspects it's going to be anything good when someone says they need to tell you something. It wasn't when Grandma Eleri said this, either.

"You know I've been recieving those letters?" Everyone nodded. "They're from my sister, Ifanna. She says she knows how to stop us now, and if we go any further with our aims she won't hesitate to enact it."

Rhiannon nodded, stone-faced. Anwen gasped. Gwenlyn gripped the arm of the bench tightly.

"When?" asked Rhiannon.

"I think it's either going to be Gwenlyn's young adult birthday or Megan's first ambrosia. Gwenlyn's birthday's only a few days away, and Megan's elder one isn't far behind. She should be eating ambrosia straight after Anwen's done her painting and sculpture."

"Megan's ambrosia would be the natural halfway point," said Anwen. "If I was her, I'd probably try then."

"Maybe that's what she wants us to think," Rhiannon said. "If I was her, I'd probably try and trick us somehow. I certainly wouldn't do anything I thought we'd suspect."

"Whichever it is, we need to be ready. I'm not sure what she has planned, but like Rhiannon said I doubt it'll be anything we'd suspect."

"What can she even do?" I asked. "You always say her powers are useless here, because yours are. I don't think she's any threat. I can't see why you even need to worry."

We sat silence for a little while. Eleri seemed to be deep in thought, and next to her Gwenlyn shuffled nervously.

"And why aren't we asking Jack and Ollie? They're in just as much danger as the rest of us!"

"They're not ever going to be immortals. They're not in anywhere near as much danger. My sister, for all her flaws, would only ever target those she thought to be a direct threat. As they're not related to us by blood, they don't even have a shred of the power that they'd need to ever be a threat to Ifanna and her rule." Eleri looked almost desperate for me to believe her and go along.

"I'm not doing this anymore. I don't know why I ever agreed in the first place. If we stopped, there'd be no more danger, right? And do you even need to go home? You've lived here for centuries now, it's not like you can't survive without the place!"

I stood up and left. Nobody said anything, not for a long while afterwards.

"Well," I heard Rhiannon say through the window. "I guess we'll have to wait until it happens, then."

"I believe you, Grandma Eleri", said Gwenlyn.

I can understand my daughter believing this stuff. She's mad, and a teenager. But all the rest of them? I'm not abandoning Jack, whatever they say.

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Oooh, suspense! Great update.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0.

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »
Chapter 30: Madness and Gwenlyn

After the family meeting, everyone except Gwenlyn and Jack seemed to be avoiding me. That's fine with me. I'm not in the house much anyway, as I'm busy chasing the last promotion to top my career.

Gwenlyn is becoming more and more mental. She ran into the house yesterday declaring that there was a regiment of green penguins invading the garden. I looked, and Jack looked, even Grandma Anwen looked, but nobody else could see them. Gwenlyn's only response to this was "well, they've probably set up a base camp in the Clevenger's garden." I'm not sure what to do with her.

Maybe now she's a Young Adult she'll calm down.

And, of course, it's Ollie's birthday too.

They both signed up for the career of their choice as soon as we'd shared the cake. Gwenlyn decided to become a ghost hunter. I'm not sure that's a positive sign for getting rid of her insanity. Ollie muttered something about working at a warehouse. A much more sensible job.

And then, they disappeared for three hours. I think they were trying to be sneaky, but what Gwenlyn doesn't realise is that Jack and I snuck off the day we became Young Adults, too. So, when this happened, I wasn't at all surprised...

She looked quite sheepish when she came and told me that she'd snuck off to get married and pregnant. I pretended to be shocked. It was about the only rebellious thing she's ever done, so I thought I'd at least pretend to be fooled by it.

No sign of the mysterious Ifanna. The Grandmas all think that this means she'll come when I eat my ambrosia. I think different.

Career: Professional Sports (9/10)
SuperMax Skill: Athletics
Property: Riverview Gymnasium
Best Friends: Jack Afon, Brandie Pressley, Gwenlyn Afon, Karri, Warren Pressley
Opportunities: Don't Sweat, When to Riot, The Complete Circuit, Always the Difficult Ones, Bounce the Crowd, Kicking the Cramps

Career: Ghost Hunter
SuperMax Skill: Logic (10/10 + 1 challenge)
Property: Cemetary
Lifetime Rewards: Opportunistic
Opportunities:
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child, Teen

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 31: Meet Adlais
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
Chapter 31: Meet Adlais

I'm a grandmother now! But I think I need to reverse a little, before I introduce you to my granddaughter. Here's Gwenlyn on finding out she was pregnant. She doesn't look impressed. Or maybe she just thinks the penguins are after us again.

She's still working on her logic requirements, which include tutoring children. You'd think she'd tutor children she actually knew, not random ones outside the grocery store.

Which is where she went into labour. Just like I did with her. Nobody was any help and she drove herself to the hospital, where Ollie and Grandma Eleri went to meet her.

Meet Adlais. She's good and a virtuoso.

Ollie keeps stealing her lollipops. I thought fathers were supposed to give their kids sweets, not steal them.

Her baby years went fast, what with five elders and both parents wanting to cuddle her all the time. When it was time for her birthday, I carried her to the cake.

And here she is as a toddler. We're not sure where the ginger came from, as the only ginger we know of in the family tree is Jack's dad Roland. But still, she's gorgeous.

And so musical, already.

In other family news, I've reached the top of my career. The Grandmas are always trying to come up with new entertainments, so they've bought some SimLife Goggles and a Gnubb set. There's talk of a mixology bar, too.

Adlais' name is pronounced Ad-liss, if anyone wanted to know. I'm using Welsh names for each of the eight immortals. I'm also going to be posting fairly quickly over the next few days - I'm up to Adlais' teen years in my game and I don't want to get too far ahead of what I'm writing. So apologies in advance for any double/triple posting that occurs.

Career: Professional Sports (10/10)
Best Friends: Jack Afon, Brandie Pressley, Gwenlyn Afon, Karri, Warren Pressley

SuperMax Skill: Logic (10/10 + 2 challenge)
Lifetime Rewards: Opportunistic
Opportunities: Fixing the Celestial Stump, Tutor Me Please, Taking Down Sinclair
Paintings: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA

Adlais Afon - 6th Generation
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax Skill:
Building:
Property:
Lifetime Rewards:
Best Friends:
Opportunities:
Paintings: Toddler
Ice Sculptures: Toddler

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 31: Meet Adlais
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
Chapter 32: Megan's Birthday

My Elder birthday. Not something I can say I was looking forward to.

Nobody tells you how much your bones creak when you get older. I might have to change my workout regime.

It was Jack's birthday too.

I think we both aged rather well. The grey hair is going, mind.

Grandma Eleri shepharded me off to go and pose for Grandma Anwen and her paintings and sculptures. I think she took my doing it as a sign of compliance with her immortality plans. It was more an unconcious act. I've done it every birthday, so it never really occured to me not to.

Then I went down to the gym. My plan, simple as it seems, was to avoid everyone until I could get near enough the food replicator to give Jack ambrosia too. I've read the rules in Grandma Eleri's book, and I know that if anyone not from the bloodline eats the ambrosia, it's over. We'll retain the ability to become immortal, but our power to do anything beyond that is gone. And this suited me just fine, because I'll have Jack with me too. We could move out, and live a life where there isn't six generations of a weirdo family under one roof.

I was on the exercise machine when I realised someone was standing over me.

"Hello," she said. "Are you Megan Afon?"

"Yeah," I replied. It wasn't unusual that she knew who I was. We were somewhat famous around town for being "long-lived", as the townspeople put it.

"I used to know your... well... she must be your Great-Grandma, Eleri Afon. I heard she's still living round here. Where could I find her, do you know?" she asked.

"She's gone out collecting seeds," I replied. Getting her distracted by an old friend would only help me get to the replicator, so this was a stroke of luck. "Do you want me to give you her mobile number?"

"Ah, no, there's no need. Could you give her this?" She handed me a box, simply wrapped with a ribbon. "Oh, and don't look. It's not exactly safe for just anyone."

Figuring it couldn't be that dangerous, I took it.

"What did you say your name was again?" I asked, as she turned to leave,

"Oh... erm... Jane. Jane Doe."

I left the gym too, and decided to head towards the military base to meet Jack. He was late, as always. I reached into my bag for my phone, to send him a text, and realised that the ribbon had come untied on the box. The object had fallen out. Rummaging in my bag, I pulled out a book that I knew hadn't been in there before. It must have been the gift.

"Weird," I muttered to myself. "How is a book 'not exactly safe' for anyone but Grandma Eleri?"

I flipped it open, without really thinking of the consequences.

This was the most stupid thing I have ever done in my life.

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Chapter 33 - What Could Be

Noticing that one page was bookmarked, I turned the pages until I reached that one. Instead of words, it contained only a black square. Gradually, a picture began to form in the square, of the woman who'd given me the book travelling across Riverview.

I saw her walking up to Grandma Eleri. Eleri stared at her, and then started to shout at her.

I couldn't hear what was said, just a scream and a thump. And then a laugh. And then I knew who the woman was, and I realised that my family had been right.

I tried to drop the book, to warn the rest of my family, but I couldn't. The book's screen panned away from Eleri, and followed Ifanna up the hill towards the road again. There was little I could do but watch as she drove to the salon where I knew Mum had taken Grandma Rhiannon for a new formal dress.

Ifanna walked up to them as she had Grandma Eleri, and just like before the shock on their faces registered who she was instantly. If I'd believed their fears about Ifanna, maybe I'd have known too? I watched as Mum argued with Ifanna, and went over in a swirl of stars just as Grandma Eleri had. I watched as Grandma Rhiannon ran out of the salon and away.

Again I tried to throw the book away from me. It felt as though it was stuck to my hand. On the screen, Ifanna turned and began to make her way towards the town centre. Towards where I was.

The screen went dark for a moment, and realigned itself to where Grandma Rhiannon was running up the road to our house. All that was left was a field. The house, the garden, the family cemetary, any sign of habitation was gone. The houses surrounding it remained unchanged.

It was then that the book disappeared from my hands. I flew sideways, my head hit the wooden deck of the pavillion, and I blacked out

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Chapter 34 - Halfway There

I opened my eyes. Jack's face was next to mine, staring intently at me. Behind him, I could see Gwenlyn carrying Adlais and all three elders.

"She's awake," Jack said.

"What happened?" asked Grandma Eleri, pale-faced. I explained, about the woman in the gym, the book, and what I'd seen.

"What do you think...?" said Grandma Rhiannon, looking shaken.

"It was definitely Ifanna," said Grandma Eleri. "It's a sort of magic I know little about but that my sister was gifted at. If you cast it right, you can make someone see what you wish them to, and if you are strong enough you can force it to happen. It, however, involves harnessing the power of your victim's mind, and you have to tailor your magic to their mind. That book would have been tailored to me, not Megan, and it couldn't get enough of a hold."

I sat in silence while everyone around me began to discuss the events. I had clearly been wrong. I should have listened. And now I'd very nearly put the whole family in danger. I felt stupid.

Jack motioned to me to follow him into Anwen's studio.

"Megan," he said. "I don't care if you become immortal. I know you don't want to live forever and for me to die, but I'd rather that than everyone die. If Eleri's sister can do this, she'll only try again. I've been talking with Gwenlyn, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to see me again when you've done this task."

I collapsed onto his shoulder in a flood of tears. I didn't want to lose him. But I had to do this. We talked for a while, and then I worked up the nerve to go and talk to the other elders.

Grandma Eleri seemed to know my decision already, and as we left the studio she was laying plates of Ambrosia out on the table. I opened my mouth to apologise and explain myself, but she held up her hand to silence me.

"I know. Don't worry. And, thank you."

I sat down with Grandma Eleri, Grandma Rhiannon and Mum. They looked on in silent encouragement as I took the first bites of the dish. Behind me, I could sense Jack watching too.

For the second time that day, I felt posessed. But this time the force was soft, deathly bitter and cloyingly sweet at the same time. I was immortal.

Megan Afon - 4th Generation - IMMORTAL

Career: Professional Sports
Best Friends: Jack Afon, Brandie Pressley, Gwenlyn Afon, Karri Allford, Warren Pressley, Margaret Westfall
Paintings: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA, Adult, Elder
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA, Adult, Elder

Lifetime Rewards: Opportunistic, Professional Simolean Booster
Opportunities: Fixing the Celestial Stump, Tutor Me Please, Taking Down Sinclair

LTW:
Career:
SuperMax Skill:
Building:
Property:
Lifetime Rewards:
Best Friends:
Opportunities:
Paintings: Toddler
Ice Sculptures: Toddler

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 34: Halfway There
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »
Congratulations on another immortal! You're an excellent storyteller :)

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
Thanks Lasnien!

Chapter 35 - Gwenlyn

Hi. It's Gwenlyn here. I am 27 1/2 years old, my favourite colour is green, and my favourite food is pancakes. I am a genius, of course. I'm a computer whiz too. My family say I'm insane and eccentric, I say I have a unique perspective.

I have the coolest job ever: a ghostbuster. Seriously. What could be better than running around zapping spirits, exorcising poltergeists and banishing ghosts? (Note: the correct answer is nothing. Remember that my Banshee Banisher is untested for use on humans.)

In fact, there is something cooler than being a ghostbuster. My daughter, Adlais. She's a child now. Ollie, her dad, brought her to the cake on her birthday, as I am yet to find a potion which makes toddlers able to fly. Think of how awesome it would be though! These amazing colourful wings, and these adorable toddlers floating around... Although I guess it'd be messy if they weren't potty trained yet. Anyway.

And the sparkles prepare to attack! (I used to think the sparkles were the work of the evil Green Penguin Brigade, but I now know that they are in fact fairies. The reason there are no photos of them is that they are camera-shy.)

And here she is.

Thanks to my genius logic skillz, I'm able to tutor her so she can get an A first day in school. Just because she isn't a genius by trait, doesn't mean she won't be a genius inside. And, more selfishly, it'll help me tick off a challenge in my skill journal.

Then she runs off to play in her treehouse. Apparently she's a queen talking to her subjects. And they say I'm insane. Her subjects are in France, quite clearly. Can't you see the baguettes and stripy shirts?!?

She runs off to her first day of school. If I was her, I'd take the loo roll off my shoe before looking so confident.

Next to me, Mum gets sentimental about grandchildren growing up. I pointed out that I grew up, and that didn't help at all.

Opportunities: Fixing the Celestial Stump, Tutor Me Please, Taking Down Sinclair, Riddle Away, Spooky Props, Logic 101

LTW:
Career:
SuperMax Skill:
Building:
Property:
Lifetime Rewards:
Best Friends:
Opportunities:
Paintings: Toddler, Child
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
Chapter 36 - A Herd of Birthdays

This week, the following has happened, in order of chronology not importance.

Adlais became a teen.

I think she looks a lot like I did as a teenager. Except more ginger. At least it's been scientifically proven now that gingers don't melt in the sunlight, because she's decided she loves the outdoors.

As soon as she'd escaped from the attentions of all the elders (it's quite scary, they're basically a granny army), she started messing around with Grandad Billy's old guitar.

Before long, she's saved up for a pink one and was out playing for tips in the park.

And everyone else?

Granny Anwen has taken up the piano. She's quite good actually.

Mum's learning mixology. All her drinks have been awful so far, but we've gone for the 'smile and nod' tactic. I don't think she suspects. Don't ever ire the granny army.

I supermaxed logic by defeating Aurtuo Harlow in the local chess tornament. Take that, bloodsucker! Team Afon wins again!

And then I aged to adult. Note to self: don't have your birthday while trying to remove an angry ghost from a celebrity's house.

And then Ollie had his. I don't think Evil Henchmen are supposed to look that gleeful on the job.

What do you call it when there's so many birthdays in one go? A collection? A gang? A herd? I don't think I have sufficiently supermaxed logic, unless I have answered this question. Surely someone has to!

Career: Ghost Hunter (7/10)
SuperMax Skill: Logic

Opportunities: Fixing the Celestial Stump, Tutor Me Please, Taking Down Sinclair, Riddle Away, Spooky Props, Logic 101

LTW:
Career:
SuperMax Skill:
Building:
Property:
Lifetime Rewards:
Best Friends:
Opportunities:
Ice Sculptures: Toddler, Child, Teen

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
Chapter 37 - Ollie

I guess I should explain, shouldn't I?

I had a mid-life crisis, although I don't know if I can blame it entirely on that. I got a new haircut, bought a new car, did some stuff up around the house.

But that wasn't enough. It should have been. I met him in the library, one afternoon before work. I'd gone to look for a book on logic. He wasn't traditionally attractive, but I fell for him at first sight. No harm in flirting, right?

But it didn't end there. I don't know what I was thinking when I kissed him. It was in the middle of the library, of course it was going to get back to Gwen. I didn't do it to hurt her.

It's hard, you know. You try living in a house where your wife and your daughter are destined to become immortal. I could think of so much I could do with immortal life, and yet I can't have it. They seem to paint and fish and garden. Where's the ambition? I suppose I'm bitter, yes, but you'd be too.

I'm not liked there, either. My job as a criminal at the warehouse doesn't score me many points. I know my mother-in-law wishes Gwen had married someone else. I overheard her saying this to one of the Grandmas; "why couldn't Gwen have chosen a good man, not a criminal?" I didn't choose to be evil. I can't help finding joy in others misfortune. Maybe I was born that way, or maybe it's because I've spent so much time with that bunch of sour old ladies. It's clear in their eyes that I've never been good enough for Gwen.

But I don't blame Gwen. And that's what I regret about kissing Jeremy. I hurt her more than I ever thought another human could hurt someone. For once I took it when Rhiannon shouted at me. I couldn't even bring myself to shout back, as for once she was right.

It's not been a cheerful week round here. Jack, Gwen's dad, died. He was 91 years old and everyone loved him. He'd had no problems being accepted in this family.

My daughter Adlais became a young adult. I'd been looking forward to her birthday. I could tell I wasn't welcomed though, and stood off to one side. Even she was angry with me. The immortals had turned her against me too.

She became a beautiful young woman. She's artistic, a virtuoso, charismatic, good, and she loves the outdoors. She says she's going to be a rockstar. I hope she is.

I attended her graduation the next day. Not that anyone else wanted me there. I'm being ignored by everyone at the moment, which is good as far as the immortals go but I'd rather Gwen and Addy just shouted at me.

I know I'm not what they wanted for Gwen. I know I'm evil, and a criminal, and I know I made a mistake with Jeremy. But I love her, and I love my daughter. Isn't that what's meant to count?

Career: Ghost Hunter (8/10)
SuperMax Skill: Logic

Best Friends: Megan Afon, Ollie Afon, Adlais Afon

LTW: Rockstar
Career: Music
SuperMax Skill: Guitar
Building: Theatre
Property:
Lifetime Rewards: Hover Bed,
Best Friends: Gwenlyn Afon,
Opportunities:

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
Re: Witches from Llŷn - The Afon Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 37: Ollie
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Poor Ollie, a Mid-Life Crisis can be tough.  :(
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0.