Author Topic: Teaching Birds to Talk  (Read 13560 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Teaching Birds to Talk
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:20:17 AM »
Has anyone done much with teaching the large birds to talk?  I've had a couple of Sims do it, but I couldn't tell much result.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

donotrefreeze

Re: Teaching Birds to Talk
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »
I don't believe it really does have much effect. The birds don't seem to properly learn things, as the options are all still there no matter how many times you do them (meaning, once you choose Teach to Talk > Happy, for example, Happy will still be a choice after the fact). It doesn't make the bird autonomously start a conversation with the Sim as they're walking past, or anything.

The only benefit as far as I can see is increased relationship, but naturally no more so than just 'Talk with [bird]'. It is cute to watch your Sim teach a bird to talk though, hearing the bird repeat what your Sim says.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GenTheHen

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
You have to teach each one like 8 times I think? It makes sense though, who learns anything on the first go?
Just keep queuing it up, won't take too long. My bird knows everything now and only took a couple of sim days, couple of hours after work each day.
Just finished teaching, so haven't had a chance to notice the bird talking on its own, but am going to play now.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
I've noticed a green progress bar while my Sim is teaching the bird to talk.  It stops long before it reaches the top in the first session.  So, I guess that once the green bar gets full, the bird has been taught how to talk.  I've also seen the bird have a talk bubble that indicates it's talking about the party that's going on, which is pretty cute.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline GenTheHen

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
I've noticed a green progress bar while my Sim is teaching the bird to talk.  It stops long before it reaches the top in the first session.  So, I guess that once the green bar gets full, the bird has been taught how to talk. 

You will notice the progress bar has black lines on it like a measuring cup and each time you click the action to teach bird to talk it will end at the next higher up black line. Keep going clicking that same action...I queued it up 6 times I think eg. Teach bird to talk Greetings queued 6 times, or teach bird to talk songs queued 6 times or teach bird to talk angry queued 6 times etc.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:43:11 AM »
I just heard my bird say a greeting to my Sim's boyfriend when he came over.  The bird said, "Sul sul."  Now that I'm paying closer attention, I'm noticing more things.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:54 AM »
Guess I will have pay closer attention myself.  My sim finished teaching her bird to talk and I couldn't tell the difference, but I guess I should listen more carefully. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:25 AM »
Well, the last of Skittles' four birds just flew the coop.  Their bird trees were outdoors.  I guess she'll have to get another one and start the teaching again.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:53:27 AM »
You mean if they are outside, they will fly away?  I didn't realize they would do that.  Guess I will keep mine inside.  I made the mistake of having a bird inside with a cat, wrong.  I found the pile of feathers, left by the kitty.

I wonder if the birds sing on their own after learning a song. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

LucyDuke

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:19:23 AM »
I just got a pop-up saying

Congratulations! Twinkle has learned to use the Greetings speech type!

So I assume there won't be any talking until at least one of those has showed up. It took many sessions. I'll be listening for a difference. Also, Greetings is now gone from the Speech Type menu.

candycowgirl

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
This is off subject but, has anyone deleted their birds branch stand thing while they are flying around? Lol. My bird flew around my house for a while, I was kinda concerned, until it randomly landed on the ground... but! It wasn't standing up straight, it was laying on its back, but looked like it was on a purch... lol. I was able to move my bird around in buy mode still, so he lived in the front yard for a while, never fed him or anything and he never died, but he never did anything but lay there, squeak a little and flap his wings... lol. Eventually I just decided to delete him, I kinda felt bad for the poor little guy.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »
You mean if they are outside, they will fly away?

Yes, they will.  I had four living outside and every one of them flew the coop one at a time.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

loveSims

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
I have my child sim teach the bird to talk, and she grew up with charisma skill 4! And after a bird learn the songs they sing when the stereo play, too cute lol.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »
I have my child sim teach the bird to talk, and she grew up with charisma skill 4! And after a bird learn the songs they sing when the stereo play, too cute lol.

I'll have to try that with one of my children.  Aging up with level 4 Charisma can be very useful.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

loveSims

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
it was a nice surprise! But I let her teach the bird everything. I think talk to the bird will also raise charisma.