Author Topic: User Interface Graphics Problem  (Read 3376 times)

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
User Interface Graphics Problem
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
This problem just started a couple days ago where the graphics on the control panel are getting splotchy and glitchy looking. It's kind of hard to explain but I'm assuming it's a graphics card problem.
I am running a '10 Macbook Pro:
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz
Graphics Card: Intel GMA X3100
I have plenty of space on my computer so that shouldn't be a problem. Please let me know if I left out any relavent specs.

If you can see it, just look at the messed up pictures of items, the scroll in the backpack is messed up and you can barely see how much money they have because parts are missing.

This picture is a little bit better:

Thanks in advance! If anyone can tell me how to take a video with the panel up (I'm pretty sure it doesn't show during a video) I'll be more than glad to do that too when it happens again.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Control Panel Graphics Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
It's call the User Interface.  :)

Are you having any issues in the game itself?  Have you exited and restarted the game?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Control Panel Graphics Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »
I would restart the computer, get rid of your caches and try another game to see if it causes any other UI tearing like that.  Usually when my Mac starts doing that it needs a restart or the game will crash soon.   Also since it's a macbook, are you sure it's not running hot?  Do you have a fan control or a cooling pad for it?

Does this happen with other games or just the Sims?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
Control Panel Graphics Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
It's call the User Interface.  :)

Are you having any issues in the game itself?  Have you exited and restarted the game?
Ah yes User Interface! Thanks :P
And usually when I restart the game it goes back to normal. It happens randomly. But so far only twice- but then again that's all I've gotten to play in the last few days.
It doesn't cause any other issues aside from visual.

I would restart the computer, get rid of your caches and try another game to see if it causes any other UI tearing like that.  Usually when my Mac starts doing that it needs a restart or the game will crash soon.   Also since it's a macbook, are you sure it's not running hot?  Do you have a fan control or a cooling pad for it?

Does this happen with other games or just the Sims?
I have a cooling pad with a fan on it. However I did use the battery alot and it's currently charging back up as I play so that could be a problem.
It hasnt ever happened with any other games. Although sims is really the only thing I'd have time to even play right now. I'm in process of saving my game, deleting caches and restarting my computer now!

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
Re: User Interface Graphics Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
I think it's just the Mac way of saying - "I can't do it Captain!"  Usually I see this after a couple of hours of play.  It's time to save, hope it doesn't error 12 and restart the computer.  That's basically what I do.  I hope it helped

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
I think it's just the Mac way of saying - "I can't do it Captain!"  Usually I see this after a couple of hours of play.  It's time to save, hope it doesn't error 12 and restart the computer.  That's basically what I do.  I hope it helped
Yeah, well it has happened both times early on. Not even 30 min to an 1hr of gameplay as gone by. I really thing it's because it got too hot from charging up the battery. I just try to run down the battery and charge it up to make my battery last longer :P I guess I need to wait till it charges all the way before I decide to play again!
I've never had error 12, and I don't plan on it either!
Thanks for the help Ricalynn :)

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
No problem.  I get error 12s but I think that's because my poor iMac is reaching the end of it's Sims career.  Glad it helped.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:30 AM »
I don't have a Macbook but I use a program called SMC Fan Control.  It's a free program and comes highly recommended by a friend who knows his way around Macs.  It's summer where I live and the fans on the Mac can get a bit loud.  I have also read opposing views that Macs look after themselves pretty well so these things aren't needed.  :o

Error 12 is a memory issue more than an overheating one as far as I know.  You can avoid it most of the time by keeping your game sessions short though I think it will catch you eventually when your neighbourhood save starts to grow.  :(

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the program suggestion Figwit! My computer seems to do be doing quite well ever since I have been using the external fan. I played for awhile today and the graphics didn't glitch once. :)

I usually always prop my Mac on something at an angle so the actual computer fan has room to breath and circulate, if not it will get super hot.

anything