Author Topic: What are the Differences Between Core and Non-Core Mods?  (Read 18555 times)

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
What are the Differences Between Core and Non-Core Mods?
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
So, I've been reading a lot about mods lately, as I'm sure many of us have. I have recently found out that mods come in different varieties, and I would like to know what these mean.

What's the difference between Core and Non-Core mods? Or any other varieties. I would like to know whatever you have to offer. Which ones are more dangerous? Which ones need special steps to install or uninstall? Which ones will permanently affect my saves or game entirely? What kind of options should I expect in the different varieties? Any information would be helpful.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: What are the Differences Between Core and Non-Core Mods?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
mtglady gives an excellent description here
Speaking of which, should that thread be unlocked and moved here now?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
No, the topic itself has too much anti-mod talk and was moved to the graveyard. Here's mtglady's quote describing the types of mods:

There are four types of 'mods' (or hacks) that creators make.  A very small percentage may be safe but most can be very harmful, especially if you have never used mods before, don't know the creator or if you don't thoroughly research the product.  Some Mods may work for some and not work for others.

Mods are mostly designed to correct what some see as errors in the original release or to add life to the game with new challenges.  If a creator doesn't continue to update their mod with the release of new EP's/SP's then you may find you can no longer play your game, even after removing the mod.  You may also find that none of your save files will work either.   

NOTE:  Mods can be packaged as both .sims3pack and .package formats so don't think it is not a mod if you can install it via the launcher.     

• Core Mods - A mod which dramatically alters the game.  This type of mod can fix many of the game's flaws as well as add things like new traits.  For example: A slider created to give a Sim muscles (before EA added it to the game) was a type of core mod.  This type of mod can conflict with the game play or with other mods.  If you install more than one created ‘core’ mod at a time in your game, you face having major game-breaking issues.
  • Tuning Mods - A mod that can change a variety of things - from how fast the Sims' bladders fill, to what time the curfew for kids is - as well as no more gagging, spewing etc.  These can conflict with other mods or with the game play itself.  They can break your game too.
  • Script Mods - These mods can cause an older video card to fry along with your computer too if you are not careful.  This mod actually manipulates the game coding to enable things such as romance and marriage that break the teen rating of the game.  These are usually very dangerous types of mods and can conflict with other mods.
  • Object Mods - This type of mod is always an object that uses a custom script. The most basic sort of object mod is a simple clone of the original object rigged with some new interactions.  An example of this type of mod would be like making a dishwasher work on a community lot.  Again, this mod can conflict with another aspect of game play or with another mod.

As for CC - this is custom content added to your game as either a sims3pack or a .package file.  These files can be as simple as changing the color of a chair or actually creating (cloning) of a sleeveless shirt originally made by EA and adding sleeves.  There are three types of custom content: EA CC; EA partner CC (T-Mobile & Dr. Pepper); and Third-Party CC.  The last types is what you want to watch out for. If it just changes the color or pattern then you should be OK, but if it changes the object to a new look then be careful.  You also have to watch out for items marked as 'default' as this will change the original item in your game and not add it as an additional item.   

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
Thank you for the distinction, Carl. I had no idea mods could even be in .sims3pack form.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
The biggest difference between Core mods and other types of mods are that Core mods interact directly with the core programming of the game and override some of the natural functions of the game.  The general rule that applies to Core Mods is referred to as "The Highlander Rule:"  there can be only one.  Two Core mods will conflict with each other, without question, as they will continually attempt to override each other.

Other mods may or may not conflict with each other or with core mods, but the possibility of that can be difficult to determine.  Sometimes there will be some "research" on this (i.e. people have tried it and they didn't work), other times there won't be.  This is why it's usually a good idea to stick to a single creator's work, since the chances are good that his or her mods will work together.  Mixing and matching can be done, but it can get tricky.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »
I would recommend package files, as you won't run the risk of accidentally deleting them in the launcher, especially if it's a core mod.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »
The general rule that applies to Core Mods is referred to as "The Highlander Rule:"  there can be only one.  Two Core mods will conflict with each other, without question, as they will continually attempt to override each other.

Not necessarily, Twallan has two core mods I believe, Errortrap and Untranslatedkey. Both of them can work together as well as with Awesomemod which is also a core mod. There's a technical explanation to which I hope someone more knowledgeable can shed light on.

Awesomemod is hosted on http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php

I personally do not like Awesomemod though because support is hard to get. This forum is the complete opposite and I'm very glad for that. =) But a lot of people use this so if you're interested, you may take a look.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline twallan

• Townie
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules