Author Topic: Organizing Sims 3 Store Content?  (Read 16018 times)

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
Organizing Sims 3 Store Content?
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:51:42 AM »
Does anyone know a utility or mod that allows for better organization and management of installed store content other than the launcher (I really wish they would build a sort function and provide better categorization...)? 

I have a ton of stuff from the store and it is very cumbersome keeping track of it via the launcher.  If there are no utilities out there to help with this does anyone here have a system they use?

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
Re: Organizing Sims 3 Store Content?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
Crinrict has a tool that let's you keep track of your purchases and sets, but this has no effect on the game. You can get the tool here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/s3s-browser

Use the S3S Browser drop down menu in the tool bar to see more sections and find the download information and tutorial.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
Thank you, NonaMena, this is very helpful.  Do you know if it is okay to remove items from the downloads tab of the launcher without affecting their availability in game?  I know to remove an item from the game you have to uninstall it from the 'installed content' tab, but there is an option to uninstall on the 'downloads' tab.  I'm hoping I can purge the downloads tab to keep it clean without actually uninstalling store content from the game.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
Yes, you can remove everything from the downloads folder. However, I recommend that you don't delete the contents, but rather move them elsewhere. It would be best to put them on an external hard drive or a flash drive, but if you have neither, just put them somewhere else on your hard drive. This way you keep a back up in case you have to re-install. Re-downloading from the store is a real pain, especially when you have tons of content.

My download's folder is always empty, but I keep copies of my sims3packs on external hard drives.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
Thank you so much - this is going to make things quite a bit easier!

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
Yes, you can remove everything from the downloads folder. However, I recommend that you don't delete the contents, but rather move them elsewhere. It would be best to put them on an external hard drive or a flash drive, but if you have neither, just put them somewhere else on your hard drive. This way you keep a back up in case you have to re-install. Re-downloading from the store is a real pain, especially when you have tons of content.

My download's folder is always empty, but I keep copies of my sims3packs on external hard drives.

I didn't know that's possible. What a find! So, basically, I can move all the contents of my Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads folder to, say, the F: drive and it'd still work and appear in-game?

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
I didn't know that's possible. What a find! So, basically, I can move all the contents of my Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads folder to, say, the F: drive and it'd still work and appear in-game?

The "Downloads" folder simply contains the Sims3Pack files *prior* to install.  Once you install the content, the data the game actually uses is stored in your DCCache folder.

You can move the Sims3Pack files anywhere you want after installing them.  Personally I move them to another computer entirely, to conserve disk space on my gaming machine.

:)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
The "Downloads" folder simply contains the Sims3Pack files *prior* to install.  Once you install the content, the data the game actually uses is stored in your DCCache folder.

You can move the Sims3Pack files anywhere you want after installing them.  Personally I move them to another computer entirely, to conserve disk space on my gaming machine.

Hi Twallan,

That is very good to know. My Downloads folder weighs over 1 gigabytes so it is a real relief to know this. Thank you!

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »

So I can safely move ALL my 3 yrs worth of downloads out of that file and put them on my external harddrive for safe keeping and free up space?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
For the last three years I haven't kept anything in that file ever.  So yes, it is completely safe to keep your downloads folder empty.  I actually recommend it since I think it takes less time for the launcher to load when one of the sections is empty.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
You can also safely delete everything in your DCBackup folder. Both my Downloads and DCBackup folder are always empty. But don't ever delete the DCCache, or you'll have to re-install all content you've installed through the launcher.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »

Wow, is this going to save me a whole lot of space!!
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline SassySimmer

• Tea Addict
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »

This is brilliant, I need to sort my files out as Sims is overtaking my computer lol and this will help loads, thank you :)

♫♪If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.  When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps, just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing, and always look on the bright side of life......♪♫

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
This is a wonderful tip! I had no idea the Downloads folder could be cleared out.

I'm having trouble using the organizer, though. I guess I just don't understand the instructions, but I have the program and the data pack, but I have no idea how to get my store content to show up in it.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
I'm having trouble using the organizer, though. I guess I just don't understand the instructions, but I have the program and the data pack, but I have no idea how to get my store content to show up in it.

Click on the folder in the upper left corner then go to Scan Downloads. Where it says: Sims 3 download folder click the 3 dots on the right hand side and you will be able to choose the folder you want it to scan. This folder does not have to be the downloads folder in the The Sims 3 folder. It can be on a different hard drive, the hard drive just has to be connected to the computer in some way (pretty sure it will work over a LAN but I've never tried).  After it's done, close the window and then hit Ctrl+S to save the inventory.

This thread might be helpful:  S3SBrowser - A tool to keep your store purchases organised

anything