Author Topic: Is it ok to use Adblock Plus?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline thesimslover828

• Playing The Sims 3 again, WooHoo!!!
  • Immortal
  • Death To The Visitors, V Is For Victory
Is it ok to use Adblock Plus?
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:06 AM »
It blocks ads, so I wanted to know if it was OK to use. I don't remember if there was any ad blocking rules in the forum rules. ;D
We are of peace, always but this is war.
We are of peace, always.
We'll help build a resistance. We have to fight.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Is it ok to use Adblocker Plus?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »
To block the single ad at the bottom of the page?  Seriously?  I almost never even see it to begin with.  I'm trying to find out whether or not this is permitted, but let's look at this from a moral standpoint while I wait for the answer. 

We all use this forum free of charge.  However, it's not free of charge for Carl to maintain and operate it.  Servers cost money, and he invests an incredible amount of his own time tweaking and revising the forum software as well as writing the HTML for the guide.  Other people help him out by writing articles, but in order for them to show up as a webpage, every last one requires his personal attention.

So...how often do you click that button up in the right hand corner with the word "Donate" on it?  That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

That single ad at the bottom of the page makes it so he doesn't have to charge a fee in order to keep this site open.  Why would you want to block it?  As far as website advertising goes, it's rather non-invasive and out of the way.  Why do you feel the need to block it?
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:51 AM »
Hosfac, I think it's a matter of convenience. Our forum doesn't have obtrusive ads, but other websites might, and turning the Adblock on and off may prove to be fiddlier than just keeping it on all the time.

Leto85

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »
Hi thesimslover, nobody here can say you what to do or what not. There are rules here to follow but those are for at the forum.
So, if you want to block advertisements for yourself: sure, go ahead. I can understand if you get destracted by flickering letters while you where looking for sims information.
And as far as the donating goes: thats simple a choice to use and hasnt really anything to do with donating.
This forum exist to inform people about the sims, and in short all we ask from the members here is to be informative and friendly. Advertisement exist here so it makes the forum free of charge. The conpanies behind it will get their money anyway, so feel free to use your program. :)

Offline thesimslover828

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
To block the single ad at the bottom of the page?  Seriously?  I almost never even see it to begin with.  I'm trying to find out whether or not this is permitted, but let's look at this from a moral standpoint while I wait for the answer. 

We all use this forum free of charge.  However, it's not free of charge for Carl to maintain and operate it.  Servers cost money, and he invests an incredible amount of his own time tweaking and revising the forum software as well as writing the HTML for the guide.  Other people help him out by writing articles, but in order for them to show up as a webpage, every last one requires his personal attention.

So...how often do you click that button up in the right hand corner with the word "Donate" on it?  That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

That single ad at the bottom of the page makes it so he doesn't have to charge a fee in order to keep this site open.  Why would you want to block it?  As far as website advertising goes, it's rather non-invasive and out of the way.  Why do you feel the need to block it?
I would never, never what to harm this site or Carl for running it. I thought it was kind of cool to be able to use it for sites that have lots of ads. Now that that I passed my test and am able to get a job as a CNA, I probably will donate because I love this site, and I use it for information all the time. I mainly just wanted to know if it would harm this site, that's way I asked. :'(
We are of peace, always.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.

User Name

Re: Is it ok to use Adblock Plus?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
I haven't even noticed an ad. Didn't think people needed to block them on here. haha.

HannahEloiseee

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
I don't think she ment it for here, but other sites. Lots of sites have annoying ad's and I wouldn't mind blocking some as well.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Hosfac has it pretty much covered. In general any site you want to support should be on Adblock's white list. Two of the ads on the forum disappear when people reach 50 posts, leaving the lone ad at the bottom :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
Hosfac, I think it's a matter of convenience. Our forum doesn't have obtrusive ads, but other websites might, and turning the Adblock on and off may prove to be fiddlier than just keeping it on all the time.

Oh, I do understand why people use adblocker.  I just don't understand why someone would want to use it here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
And as far as the donating goes: thats simple a choice to use and hasnt really anything to do with donating.

Actually, the two subjects are identical:  revenue.  Donations are one way to get revenue, and ads are another.  The only difference is who is paying.  I'm not trying to guilt anyone into donating to the site.  All I'm saying is if a single ad at the bottom of the page is the price for me to be able to use the forum without paying a membership fee, then that's a bargain.

This forum exist to inform people about the sims, and in short all we ask from the members here is to be informative and friendly. Advertisement exist here so it makes the forum free of charge. The conpanies behind it will get their money anyway, so feel free to use your program. :)

Yes, but if the ad is blocked, the forum gets nothing.  If everyone on the internet used an ad blocker of some kind, there would be no free sites outside of the ones where users donated regularly (like Wikipedia).  Every other site on the internet would either charge a monthly fee to use it or simply not exist.

Offline thesimslover828

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
Oh, I do understand why people use adblocker.  I just don't understand why someone would want to use it here.

I don't wanna block ads here. I'm just not sure how to make it where it wouldn't block the ads for here. The reason I asked is I didn't want to break any rules, by blocking any ads while I figure out how to unlock this site and the guide.
Hosfac has it pretty much covered. In general any site you want to support should be on Adblock's white list. Two of the ads on the forum disappear when people reach 50 posts, leaving the lone ad at the bottom :)
I'll add the forum and the guide to the do not bock ads thingy. I want y'all to get as much money as y'all can because I fully support this site, and thank you so much for letting us use it. It's a really friendly place and I enjoy being here.
We are of peace, always.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
I don't wanna block ads here. I'm just not sure how to make it where it wouldn't block the ads for here.

Oh!!  Your question makes perfect sense now lol.

Offline Huge

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
I've never come across a forum that didn't allow adblocking. The ads here are about as unobtrusive as anywhere I've seen, but I still have an adblocker because other sites are riddled with the things.

Oh and if Carl can fund the site purely on ad clicks, I'd be astonished.

Hekkie

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
I have no idea how you can get money from having ads on the website, and I do hope Carl gets paid just for having them show up. If that's the case, then there's nothing to worry about Adblock because the ads still load: adblock just uses webcode (css, html or whatever) to hide them. So it's not like the program tells the webpage to stop sending ads, it's more like it tells your browser to now show them.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
I don't wanna block ads here. I'm just not sure how to make it where it wouldn't block the ads for here.

If you right click on the Ad Block Plus icon it should open a menu and have a option that says Disable on carls-sims-3-guide.com Click that and it wont block adds here.

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

anything