Author Topic: The Island  (Read 31668 times)

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: The Island
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
Herbie vs Gertie...what a great finale! And congrats to you on your thousandth post :)

I actually started my own version of this challenge to keep myself occupied while I'm couch bound from my surgery and my island was also hit by a meteor...I think it's something about this challenge that attracts meteors  :o

Offline strongsoylatte

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
Finale is almost here! This is so exciting! I'm rooting for Gertie.

Also, I had to do a double take at this. I thought it was a two headed horse. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lizzycakecool

• 100% sim
  • Llama Wrangler
  • You got this.
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39:17 AM »
Love this! *BOOKMARKED*
Everyone wants happiness
No one wants pain
But you cant have a rainbow
Without a bit of rain!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »
May the best Gertie win!

;D

Herbie vs Gertie...what a great finale! And congrats to you on your thousandth post :)

I actually started my own version of this challenge to keep myself occupied while I'm couch bound from my surgery and my island was also hit by a meteor...I think it's something about this challenge that attracts meteors  :o

Thank you :).

You're recovering from surgery? That was how I started Simming in the first place.  Get well soon!

You too? :o  It really does seem to be a meteor magnet.

Finale is almost here! This is so exciting! I'm rooting for Gertie.

Also, I had to do a double take at this. I thought it was a two headed horse. 

Those horses are very fond of trying to occupy the same space.  They were doing it again when I went to look at the second foal but sorted themselves out after a while.

Love this! *BOOKMARKED*

Charlotte

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
Wow, the finale is already here! Can't wait... go, Gertie, go!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
Wow, the finale is already here! Can't wait... go, Gertie, go!

Yes, it's here - right now, in fact.

Week 11: The Finale

The final week obviously has to be different from all of the earlier ones.  Sportsfan’s rules leave the details up to the individual player, so I decided right back at the beginning that this week they’d revisit all of the previous skills and that the winner would be the one with the highest total number of points (including in hidden skills).   About halfway through the game, I realised that I’d missed out science and was going to add a science station to this week’s objects  - but then I changed my mind.  With Charlie and Dilys both gone, I’m not letting them near anything dangerous ;).

While I’m waiting for midday, Gertie crawls into the one remaining tent and Herbie follows her.  Curious, I have a look at Herbie’s action queue.

1.Gerbie.jpg

Ooh!  The ship is sailing.

Nothing obvious happens, at least from the outside (but then, would it?)  I click on Gertie instead and discover that she’s reading.  ‘Cuddle’ is there in her queue but books come first, it seems  ::).  Eventually, Herbie gives up and crawls out again – and I discover that the skilling objects should have gone out half an hour ago.  Oops.

A quick pause later and they’re there, together with an old friend.

2.Skill_objects.jpg

I think Zorro’s lifetime wish would be Renaissance Horse, if only horses were allowed to have LTWs.

3.Zorro.jpg

Not only does he appear to want to learn chess but he’s clearly been practising his existing skills in his time away from the island.  Partway through the week, he becomes the only Sim in this game to complete a skill challenge.  Two, in fact: Endurance Equine and Long-Distance Runner.

Herbie’s tendency to gaze at new objects in amazement instead of using them appears to be catching…

4.Gazing.jpg

…but eventually Herbie picks up the guitar, while Gertie gets reacquainted with Zorro.

5.A_start.jpg

Once he’s brushed and happy, she practises chess for a few hours.

6.Chess.jpg

(And this is a completely pointless screenshot, just because Monte Vista’s sunsets are pretty.)

7.Sunset.jpg

Wednesday brings another call from Jancis.  Yasmin’s had twins this time.

8.Twin_foals.jpg

Herbie suddenly decides to try out sculpting and is having a happy and productive time…

9.Sculpting.jpg

…until Gertie walks over and berates his ignorance.  (Dratted nerd influence!)

10.Ignorant.jpg

He gives as good as he gets but then tries a friendly hug (while still saying “you too”).

11.Hug.jpg

Unsurprisingly, this doesn’t go down well.

12.Hug.jpg

Herbie’s nothing if not persistent.  He follows Gertie over to the bathroom area, waits politely until she’s finished and then tries again.

13.Hug.jpg

Friendship repaired.  For now.

Gertie has clearly forgotten the essentials of equestrianism over the last two weeks:

14.Bad_rider.jpg

In fact, both of them seem to be a little vague about horse care.  By midweek, Zorro is being followed by clouds of flies.

15.Smelly_Zorro.jpg

Finally, Herbie does something about the smell and the buzzing, much to Zorro’s relief.

16.Hoof_picking.jpg

And now that they’re friends, he puts in some serious riding practice…

17.Riding.jpg

…while Gertie strums away.

18.Guitar.jpg

Thursday evening: less than a day to go.

19.Ignorant.jpg

Oh dear.

And then we’re into the final half-hour.  Time to try to gain a last desperate point or two?

Nope.

20.Last_half-hour.jpg

Herbie elects to work on his social networking and Gertie cleans the toilet.

So that’s it.  Twelve o’clock.  Time to add up the skill points.

Zorro’s at level six of jumping and nine of racing.  Oops, sorry, that doesn’t count.

Herbie:
Athletic 2
Bass 1
Charisma 7
Chess 4
Cooking 3
Fishing 1
Gardening 1
Guitar 3
Logic 3
Nerd influence 5
Sculpting 1
Social Networking 2

Total: 33

Gertie:
Athletic 5
Bass 3
Bowling 1
Charisma 5
Chess 3
Cooking 3
Darts 2
Firewalking 1
Fishing 3
Gardening 1
Gnubb 3
Guitar 3
Logic 2
Nerd influence 5
Painting 3
Piano 3
Pool 1
Riding 2
Sculpting 2
Social Networking 4
Trampoline 1

Total: 56

And so the champion of The Island is... (ridiculously elongated pause for dramatic effect)... Gertrude Grissom.

Herbie and Zorro teleport away…

21.Teleport.jpg

…leaving Gertie sole owner of the island – and its newly-constructed bridge.

22.Winner.jpg

What will she choose to do with her new property, now that she’s free to do what she likes?

23.Winner.jpg

Who knows?

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Congrats on the win, Gertie! I'm really not surprised that she won. Gertie was awesome :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Namaya

• Townie
  • Every writer has a best friend inside their head.
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »
I loved this project! I really want to try it myself with the group of sims that resemble my group of real life friends. I think it would be really funny to see how our simselfs would act in this kind of challenge :'D. This was a really fun read! I will be checking out your other stories as well :).
Please read my stories! Any feedback is welcome:

Between Dreams and Sunset
The Beastly Legacy

Charlotte

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Yay Gertie! Not exactly a surprising win, but certainly a satisfying one. I've been rooting for her since week one ;D

Ooh, what a dramatic ending... can't wait to see what happens next!

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
Ger-tie! Ger-tie!

Will there be an epilogue of any kind?

Offline strongsoylatte

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »
Yay Gertie! ;D

This was such a fun project to tune in to. Great job!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
Congrats on the win, Gertie! I'm really not surprised that she won. Gertie was awesome :)

No, I'm not surprised either.  Once Gertie was in the final, poor Herbie didn't stand a chance.

I loved this project! I really want to try it myself with the group of sims that resemble my group of real life friends. I think it would be really funny to see how our simselfs would act in this kind of challenge :'D. This was a really fun read! I will be checking out your other stories as well :).

The other stories are a bit more serious (and a lot longer - especially the 4x4, which kind of got away from me in the middle).

Yay Gertie! Not exactly a surprising win, but certainly a satisfying one. I've been rooting for her since week one ;D

Ooh, what a dramatic ending... can't wait to see what happens next!

I think, with the way I'd set up the final week, Gertie or Isobel was the obvious winner - that is, if either of them got that far.  I'm still surprised Alan wasn't the runner-up, though.

I'm not sure about a 'next'.  I left it deliberately open-ended because I may go back to those Sims at some point but at the moment there are other things I want to do more.

Ger-tie! Ger-tie!

Will there be an epilogue of any kind?

She certainly had more than her share of supporters :).

As I said to Charlotte above, there are no particular plans for an epilogue but I may go back to this game at some point and see what everyone does next, maybe using a story progression mod so that they can all get on with their lives.  They were an interesting bunch of Sims to play.

Yay Gertie! ;D

This was such a fun project to tune in to. Great job!

Thank you :D.

Congrats Gertie!

She says thanks ;).

Charlotte

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
Ah, okay ;D Well whatever you decide to do, this was an amazing story! I'm actually trying it out privately for myself, just for laughs.

Offline strongsoylatte

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:51 AM »
I for one would like to see a reunion week like they do on reality shows. Just to see how everyone's doing after leaving the island. And maybe Herbie might have a chance to ask Gertie out.  ;D

anything