Author Topic: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Thirty-Two (7-21-15)  (Read 39140 times)

Offline intl_incident

• You can call me Indy! :D
  • Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Four (5-30-15)
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
I just wanted to let you know I'm still reading and that I'm so mad at Alden right now. Dang, buddy, I understand you love your wife and you're desperate but suddenly turning to your father's solution after you've spent a lifetime hating him and ignoring him (not without reason) is just ugh inducing. Especially because he doesn't seem to realize the cognitive dissonance there.

Oh, just brilliant! I love this story so much! How typical of Alden to try to use magic the 'wrong' way and use that as a justification that it has all been lies. Ugh... he's so frustrating! Very touching death scene though. Can't help but feel for the guy. I can't wait for Etienne to take a more prominent place in the story too.  :)

Thanks, and glad to see you both still here and enjoying things!  I do like writing characters with somewhat believable (considering we're talking about magical stuff here) flaws and wrong-headed motivations.  In Alden's case, while he was sure on a very fundamental level that his father's stories were all lies, somewhere in the back of his mind he really hoped that it was true, just like some people who don't believe in religon would still hope for afterlife, or go pray in a hospital chapel, etc, when a loved one is ill or dying.  They might know it's irrational, but still do it anyway, because there's nothing else they can do.  Alden, with his 'perfectionist' and 'hot-headed' traits is kind of a control freak.  So yeah: frustrating, but you can't help but feel for him. Especially because -- ha ha, joke's on you, Alden -- that mouthful of Ambrosia he ate is already working on his den'Rhelys self, and now he's immortal.

As for Etienne being a bigger part of the story, yay! It's coming up.  I have a ton of University pictures to sort through, but I should have the next post up in the next couple of days.  I have to say, having seen the pictures of him as a Young Adult, I think he may be the best looking of the bunch so far.  Wow, he's a hottie. :)

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Five (6-10-15)
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2015, 10:37:29 PM »
Well, I went through all of those University pictures, and it brought back bad memories of how my game was a giant lagging beast at the time.  I recall times when it took Etienne two hours to stand up from a chair. :P

Anyway, that lag meant that most of my pictures were from one main scene, and I was not about to go open up an old Uni save and relive the horror just to stage pics.  So here's what I can do with what I had:

--------------

Sims University was everything I had expected and more.  I'd spent so long cooped up in the barn, or spending time with friends who forgot me every time I went home, that everything seemed exciting.

I was sure that all of the equipment and all of the theories I was learning would be of use back home, so I took notes in all my classes, and did all of assigned experiments, and generally focused on what I was there to do. 

But I had always known I had a mission, ever since I was born.  So I was getting pretty good at balancing out my eventual destiny as savior of a far off paradise, with my current place in the current universe.  Which is to say: scientific theory is great, but pong is awesome. 

I know I drove some of my friends crazy with the fact that I didn't really have to study like they did.  But I just wanted to see, do and experience everything I could before I had to head back home to the barn.  And besides, after all of the things I'd seen and done with my father and great-grandfather, my classes were pretty easy.  That was especially irritating to Joan Khan.  She was a girl I’d met on the very first day – I’d spotted her at orientation and thought she was gorgeous. 

She was focused on astronomy and cosmology, whereas I was dual-majoring in biochemistry and physics, so we shared a few of our classes.  We also had had a lot of the same friends -- most of whom hung out with us at the Comic Book store on the edge of campus.

But while we occasionally went out to the movies with them, or hung out playing video games, mostly she was trying to get me to go home, back to the little cottage I'd rented with the money my great-grandfather had given me.  It was quieter than her dorm room, and I had a better computer.  "How do you not need to study?" seemed to be the question almost every time I asked her to go out somewhere else.

So here we were again, inside, studying, while life went on all around us.  I sighed as I poked at the control panel for my homework, dutifully marking down my observations.  "Are you sure you don't want to go down to the diner?  Or maybe the coffeehouse?"

"No."  She didn't even turn around.

"What about the student union?"

"No."

"Bowling alley?  Bookstore?  Stadium? Mars?"  I threw the last one in to see if she was even paying attention.

She shot me an annoyed look over her shoulder, then got back to typing.  "You can go," she said, "if you don't mind me staying here alone.  I promise I won't dig through your trash or your medicine cabinet."

Jabbing the control panel one more time, I shut down the infernal contraption they'd given me when I enrolled.  "Yeah, but… I mean..."  That wasn't what I wanted. "The whole point is I want you to come."

It was her turn to sigh, as she turned her chair to stare in my direction.   "How do you not need to study?"

There it was again -- the same question as always.  "How about this," I said with a winning smile. "You're studying space, right?"

"Right," she said warily.

"Come on," I replied, grabbing a beer from the fridge and holding out my hand.  "Let's go study."

I tugged her hand to pull her down the steps from the porch, and then patted the sidewalk beside me as I reclined in the front yard. "It's up there," I said, gesturing skyward. "Space! Tell me about it."

She stared at me for a moment as if I'd gone mad, but my smile must have won her over because she sat down with one more shake of her head for my foolish ways.  "You already know about it," she said with a laugh as she settled beside me. "You already know everything about everything, apparently."

"Not everything," I said, and I pointed up at the sky. "Tell me about that star."

She squinted upward, following the end of my finger toward a bright point in the blackness.  "That's Aldebaran," she said. "Type K5III, orange giant.  Sixty-five light years away, with an average apparent magnitude of .87.  Constellation Taurus."

"Oh, very romantic."

She gave me a shove, sitting back away from my side. "That's what it is," she objected. "What did you think you were going to hear?"

"I don't know," I said, gazing back up at the bright pinpoints. "Maybe that the Persians thought it was one of the four royal guardians of the heavens. Or that the Hindus thought it was Rohini, one of the wives of the moon god.  And that the moon god was so enamored of her, that he abandoned all of his other duties and other wives, and spent all of his time with her, and only her, his beautiful star..."  I trailed off, still gazing up at the sky, but sliding my hand over to brush against hers.

There was a pause, but then her fingers linked through mine.  "I'm an astronomer, remember? It's a ball of plasma. And anyway, you already knew all about it. Just like I suspected." She couldn’t help but roll her eyes.

I laughed, turning to face her with a broad grin. “Tell me something I don’t know, then. Something about you. A secret.”

“All right,” she gave in to my enthusiasm. “Fine. My name’s not Joan.”

“I knew it! You’re a spy!”

She laughed and sat back up, shaking her head. "Just a student.  But I figured my actual name would be hard for people to pronounce, so I picked another one to use while I'm here."

I waited what seemed like a reasonable amount of time, then blurted, "Well?  You can't just say that and then not tell me…"

"It's Rukhsana," she said. I could see she was nervous, but I didn't know why.  Then she added, with a sly, flirtatious smile, looking shyly away from me through thick dark lashes: "It means beautiful star."

A similar smile slowly crept over my own face, as I realized the coincidence that had made my earlier comment so unexpectedly, amazingly appropriate. “You know Etienne means moon god, right?”

“It does not!”  Her head jerked back up as she objected, cheeks pink in the moonlight.

“No, it doesn’t,” I laughed. “But we can pretend.”  I leaned over to give her a quick peck on the cheek, just to see how she took it.  A moment later, her arm was around my neck, and studying was a thing of the past.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
Oh! And FYI, I have updated the first post if you want to go check out portraits and more info about traits, LTRs, Ops and other dynasty requirements for the Immortals.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
Oh I think I just fell in sim-love with Etinne *sigh*. What a great character. And rather cute looking too *cough*
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2015, 07:48:34 AM »
Ooooh the plot deepens.  Is it possible that Joan Khan (AKA Rukhsana) already has a connection to Ajri?
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »
 :'( That is so cute! You're creative.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
There is a new Ajri post (about time!).  The events in that post are happening at the same time as the current events in the Aurora Skies timeline.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18090.msg415995.html#msg415995

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Six (6-19-15)
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
If you haven't read it yet, check out the new Ajri post (link in the post before this one.)  The sparks around the seeing stone in the last frame of the Ajri post take place just as this post is starting.

--------

Things went well from there, and eventually, we decided that Rukhsana should come home to meet my admittedly odd family.  It didn't really seem fair to ask her to marry me until she knew the whole package.  So after we'd finally graduated, we packed up all of the things I'd had at college, ferried them over to Aurora Skies, and then drove into town on one of the brisk winter mornings I had missed while I was away.

"They'll love you," I assured her as Rukhsana stood shivering in the woods and looking warily toward the empty field I told her was home. We'd parked the truck out of sight, just down the road.  "Come on. Just follow me through…"

"Follow you through what?" she asked, though she took my hand and came along behind me. "There's nothing-- oh!"  And there we were, through the magical field, and in front of the family barn.  "How did you-- what did you-- where did this come from?"

I grinned at the startled look on her face, gesturing toward the door. "I told you our house was weird.  I'm sorry to report it's not bigger on the inside.  But it's perfectly fine. Come on!"

I was anxious to see my parents and great grandfather, and to show Rukhsana the crazy workshop we'd built over time.  It was usually bustling with activity -- sparks flying, propellers twirling, pots bubbling, that sort of thing.  But as I pushed open the massive wooden doors to the barn, the creak of their rusty wheels echoed in a quiet chamber. 

"Hello? Mom? Dad?"  I shouted into the open space.  At least it was warm. I shooed Rukhsana inside, then turned around to--

"Close the door!"  That was my father's voice, from behind the partition.

"And quiet down! We're trying to hear if--"  There was a loud crackles, and a bang, and then-- BZZZT. Sparks were flying once again.  I was definitely home.

Hurrying forward to see what was going on behind the wooden wall, I drew up short at the strangest looking contraption I'd seen yet -- and that was saying something. "What are you doing?" I shouted. "Is that a colander?"  I grabbed the nearby fire extinguisher, ready to douse the collection of odd spare parts if needed, but my great grandfather was already climbing out of harm's way.

"What happened?" he coughed, standing up and waving away what looked like the last of the acrid smoke. "Start it back up!" He didn't look my way, just poked at the panel of jumbled controls next to the machine.

"Fried the circuits," my father lamented, shaking his head at the burnt switches and toggles. "It's done for."  He sighed, and pushed his glasses back up his nose, wiping his sooty hands on his pants. "Did you see anything? Or hear anything? Did it work at all?"

My great grandfather shook his head with a quiet "nothing," and though he tried to hide it, his stooped shoulders and dejected expression made him look older than I could ever remember him.  My dad had reached out to clasp his arm for comfort when I decided to interject.

"Well if you're done trying to burn down the barn," I drawled, "can I introduce my girlfriend?"

"Etienne!"
"You're home!"
"Welcome back!"
"We've missed you!"

Hugs and handshakes all around, and then my great grandfather was looking me over with a proud, appraising eye to see how I'd changed, when my dad, ever the gentleman, held out his hand toward Rukhsana.

"You must be the young lady he wrote us about.  His e-mails didn't do you nearly enough credit."

"And you must be Etienne's father," she replied without missing a beat. But rather than returning the handshake, she was more concerned with peering at the cart of computers that had so recently caught fire.  "I must say, his descriptions didn't do this workshop enough credit either. Is that CPU an old Nrass Industries Master Controller? Hooked up to a... what is that thing? A dentist's chair?"

"Maybe," my father replied proudly -- though how anyone could be so enamored of that pile of scrap, I couldn't understand. "We picked it from behind the tattoo parlor.  Very comfortable. Well, except for the colander. Claudia salvaged that from the restaurant kitchen.  Industrial, you know?  Just the right size, and strong as cast iron."  He knocked on the metal dome, which rang like a misshapen funeral bell.

"And that?" Rukhsana pointed at the rack on the other side of the chair, where I was experimentally turning dials and flipping levers under a massive antenna. "What's all that for?"

"Oh that!" My father enthused. "That's the transdimensional signal detector. It goes ding when there's--"  He paused, realized there was too much to explain and lamely stammered out "--stuff."

Rukhsana lifted an eyebrow at the ridiculous explanation, but let it slide.  "All right," she said. "But what's it all for?"

"First things first," Great Grandfather smoothly interjected. "You must be tired, and--"

"No no," Rukhsana said, crouching in front of the odd machine. "If you have a set of tools, I can see if I can get this cranked up again.  You probably only fried the Integration module -- and no wonder, since you have it hooked up to a car battery.  I mean, really -- you couldn't find a deep cycle marine battery? And where did you get that inverter? Did that come from the tattoo parlor too?"

"I like her," my dad announced to no one in particular, heading off to find the tool kit.

A few hours later, after a dinner with my mother, that was everyone's general opinion.  We all liked her.  She liked us as well, even with all of our eccentricities, and eventually, once we'd decided to get married, we let her in on the family secret.  I'm not sure she really believed it, but I'm not sure it really mattered.  We were in love, and she was fascinated by all of the crazy machinery in the workshop, and we were both happy.

The strange machine that had first caught her attention turned out to be an attempt to contact Ajri.  It was genius work in its own way, and as Rukhsana struggled to understand the technology with my father, I struggled to understand the related magic with my great grandfather.

"It's never going to work," I remember lamenting to her one night. "There's no way.  I mean, I honestly think that the theory is sound, but it needs to be adjusted, and made more scientific.  Besides, that thing is held together with duct tape and chicken wire, and--"

"It's not that bad," she protested. "Your dad's got a real knack for putting things together, especially considering he's not had any education in any of this."

"Right," I said. "Which is why I think you and I need to step up.  I'm thinking of getting a job at the lab downtown.  I'll have access to better equipment, and I can earn some decent money for supplies. You and I have got the right education for all of this.  We've got to build a better version of that thing."

"Mm hmm," she said, running her hand over my chest. "But isn't there something else we need to do for Ajri?  Something we can work on tonight?"

A few months later, when I'd had a chance to run some tests on the lab's sophisticated equipment, and when Rukhsana had worked out the schematics for a safer, more robust system, we were back in front of the whiteboard.  Only this time, I was the one explaining the science.  I could see Great Grandfather trying to follow what I was saying, but after I got to a certain point, he just shook his head.

"I trust you, Etienne.  I've been trying to use what I know, but it's not strong enough magic.  Science is the powerful force here, and that's what we need to use.  So if you think what you're saying will work, then we'll do it"

"It will take both," I admitted. "But I think it will work."

It wasn't easy.  Mechanical parts were incredibly expensive, and some of them were hard to acquire.  Circuit boards had to be disassembled and reassembled. 

We needed gems that were both rare and precious, and had to be perfectly crafted to fit into the new machine.

]

And all of the materials had to be tested, again and again at the lab, to make sure everything was in the proper parameters to function.

And while all of that was going on, little Amelia came into our lives.

But finally, eventually, we had a new machine.  Its smooth lines gleaming with polished metal, it looked incredibly out of place in the middle of an old and cluttered horse barn.  But it was perfect.  It was insane and wonderful at the same time, just like so much that went on in the Dempster/den'Rhelys household.  And we were ready to try to contact Ajri.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
Fantastic update Indy.  Welcome to little Amelia.  I am constantly amazed at your detailed set dressing.  It's awesome!  ;D
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:29 AM »
Fantastic update Indy.  Welcome to little Amelia.  I am constantly amazed at your detailed set dressing.  It's awesome!  ;D

Thanks, Magz!  I have always been more of a builder than a player, though I am having a lot of fun playing out the Dynasty. I've already done a bunch of things I never had the patience to do when I was just goofing around in the game. (OMG, I actually planted an Omni plant and built a SimBot.)  The whole storytelling thing started out as a way for me to have a reason to build more fantastical stuff.  But around this part of the storyline is when I realized my building style is really not Dynasty-optimized. Most of those scenes are from the official record, so all of that deco and clutter is clogging up the ginormous save file.

I eventually demolished the original cottage, since story-wise no one is in it anymore, and everyone is living in a sparse group home that you never see, with a bunch of lined-up Super Sleepers instead of bedrooms.  Except Geoff and Alden: I've stuck the two of them in little bedrooms with rocking chairs to keep them out of my hair unless I need them.  I enthusiastically recommend rocking chairs for all your Elder Warehousing Needs.  They cannot leave the things alone for more than thirty seconds or so, and rocking keeps 'em happy.

Oh I think I just fell in sim-love with Etinne *sigh*. What a great character. And rather cute looking too *cough*

HA, awesome. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's a total hottie. ;) Genetics and a good haircut really worked out for him.

Ooooh the plot deepens.  Is it possible that Joan Khan (AKA Rukhsana) already has a connection to Ajri?

That would actually be awesome.  But alas, no.  I just didn't like the name Joan Khan.  I used to work with a Pakistani lady named Rukhsana, and the name really does approximately mean beautiful star, so I just went with that instead.  I actually almost didn't have Etienne marry her because I disliked the name so much (crazy, huh?).  Luckily for her, lag at University was so mind-numbingly awful, I couldn't bear to try to find anyone else.  So Etienne got literally the first girl who came along.

:'( That is so cute! Your create at writing.

Thanks!  Glad you're enjoying it! :))

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2015, 02:03:52 AM »
Is that CPU an old Nrass Industries Master Controller? LOL! Great line!  ;D Welcome little Amelia, just a totally awesome update. I'm off to read through your other story now, can't wait!

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Is that CPU an old Nrass Industries Master Controller? LOL! Great line!  ;D

YAY! Someone noticed that little nod to Twallan. (I imagine some Dr. Who fans might catch a couple of references to the show, too.)

I miss Master Controller SO MUCH in this Dynsaty. Not for the cheaty things like adding skills or whatever, but just for the basic sort of stuff like being able to change outfits without the Sim having to stop whatever they're doing and (lag, lag, lag) spin around.  Or even to be able to change outfits while the game is paused. So I end up catching a moment of a Sim doing something useful for the story, but one of them will be in swimtrunks out fishing in the snow, or another is in pajamas while working on the inventor's table... So I end up stopping them, having them change clothes, and then trying to get them recreate whatever they were doing.  I know I shouldn't care so much, but I am a crazy micromanager, and Master Controller feeds my neurotic perfectionism. ;)

Oh! And OMG the town is overrun with Sloppy Jalopies.  Where are you, Overwatch? I need you! :))

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
I love reading this story, and your beautiful screenshots are so inspiring. They make me want to play Sims 3 again, though your description of your trouble with lag reminds me why I stopped. :) I will just have to get my fix by reading about what the gorgeous Etienne gets up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Seven (6-23-15)
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2015, 01:15:19 AM »
Gathered around the machine, we all waited with anxious anticipation as the clear plexiglas hood lowered down over my great grandfather's head with a soft whirr.

"Ready?" Pascal asked, hand on the switch.

"Ready," my great grandfather said with a solemn nod.  He closed his eyes, and leaned back against the headrest. 

I was in charge of the signal relay, watching the readouts with careful attention to see if any change -- no matter how slight -- might indicate that we had made contact with Ajri. Or at least, with somewhere other than here.  The machines themselves were fairly otherworldy, despite their apparent technological framework.   One of Rukhsana's favorite authors had once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  She often repeated the quote as my great grandfather was marveling over some new development we'd made.  And she had eventually written it on the whiteboard as inspiration, along with a corollary that any sufficiently well-documented magic is indistinguishable from science. 

Both sides of that coin were at play here:  The circuits were imbued not just with the usual gold or silver to reduce corrosion, but with strange tinctures of herbs and plants and gems -- to conduct magic across their surfaces just as easily as electrical current.    The same potions coursed through vials atop the clear dome, agitated by electricity until they glowed a bright, luminous blue.   Carefully programmed controls fed just the right amount of potion into the vials, and just the right amount of current into the gems beneath.  Technology had met magic. And hopefully, after all of our experimenting and researching and crafting and testing, the two really would be indistinguishable from one another, the machine would join two worlds and my great grandfather would have a chance to talk to his family again.

At first there was nothing -- just the quiet whir of the fans that cooled all of the equipment.  A few ticking sounds as counters rolled over, Rukhsana's quiet voice as she read off the numbers, and one soft puff as a transformer failed.  But we had backups upon backups installed, and my father was perfectly calm as he reported "Auxiliary power is compensating."

That calm was disrupted a few seconds later by a high-pitched screech from vials atop the helmet.  It grew louder and louder, rising in pitch like an engine revving itself into the redline.  Rukhsana's voice was more tense as she called out the increasing pressure readings on the vials of potions, and the rate that current was being drawn from the power cells.   My grandfather's head tilted back, and his muscles stiffened as current arced from vial to vial.  The lights in the barn dimmed, flickered, and then went out in an explosion of shattered bulbs.

"Stop!" my mother called out as Amelia began to cry, terrified by the dark and the noise. "Stop, it's too dangerous!"  She held the baby close, trying to quiet her.

My father looked at me with a raised brow, hand on the switch to cut off the power. Rukhsana was nodding, her eyes wide with worry.  But as I was about to add my voice, the electrical flares suddenly stopped. The noise dissipated.  My grandfather relaxed against the cushions.

And in the silence, as the red lights above matter-of-factly shifted to green, the array beside me gave a quiet *ding*.

-----------

Worlds and more away, Ybeline den'Rhelys suddenly gasped, her hands flying out to take hold of the seeing stone as it changed before her eyes.  The steady clear green of the crystal grew brighter, and bluer, and screeched with a high-pitched whine, like the sound of a gale force wind blowing through closed shutters.

And then it stopped.

And the crystal rang with a quiet *ping*, as though tapped by a silver hammer.

-----------

"Jaffaran?"

"Did she say Jaffaran?"
"Is he there? Can you see him?"

"Are you sure it's not a trick?"
 "Hush. Let her concentrate."

The voices sounded muffled, like they were spoken underwater, or garbled by static.  There were more sounds, possibly words, but impossible to make out in the oddly swirling noise and echoes.

Then a voice broke through clear and sweet, heard in the mind, and not the ears.

"My son?  Are you trying to find us? We're here."

"Mother?"

"Yes!"

He could feel her relief through the connection, and the touch of her familiar mind, the sound of her familiar voice was enough to bring tears to his eyes, even after all of these years away.   She could sense his loneliness, and her hand gently reached out to touch him, though he wasn't there.  "Where are you? Are you all right?"

"I am."  His thoughts were grateful for the concern; colored with longing for familiarity, love and home.  But they were full of regret, too, that he had to push aside the comforting embrace for impatient questions. "There's not much time. I need to know about the way back.  There's no magic here, not like Ajri. It's weak, and it's different.  We're making progress.  We need to prepare to return."

"You need a portal,"
she started to respond.  Along with the words came a wealth of knowledge stored in her mind: the concept of a portal, the specifics of summoning, the history of...

"No," he interrupted the flow of information. His thoughts were rushed, frantic to be finished before something she didn't understand expired.  "I know it's a portal.  But I need you to go back. Farther back in the records. Back to the Founders.  They didn't always use magic to build things.  I need to know how they would have built a portal without the charms we -- can't use the -- no access to --"

"Jaffaran!"
Ybeline reached out with her mind, trying to clear the fog that was breaking up her son's thoughts, clinging to his presence to try to keep him close.  There was so much to ask. So much to say.  "Jaffaran, I can't hear you!  Wait!"

-----------

Back in the barn, the transdimensional detector was beeping a warning.  I worked the dials on the control panel, trying to keep the energy readings in the proper range.  "We're losing the signal!" I called to my father. "Boost the current."

"Can't," he replied grimly. "It's drained. That's all we'll get."

"Smithsonite vial down to 15 percent," Rukhsana confirmed in her calm, professional tone. "Ten percent... Five... Depleted."  The lights over the detector transitioned back to red, and the few unbroken bulbs in the overhead lighting slowly came back to life.  Rukhsana looked up at last from her readouts, turning to my great grandfather to watch for him to awaken.       

My mother was crouched beside the machine, reaching out to take hold of his hand.  "Grandfather?  Are you all right?"

"Did it work?"  My father joined her, waiting anxiously for any confirmation that we'd been successful.

"It did." My great grandfather didn't open his eyes, but from the happy cheers his two quiet words evoked, he must have known we were smiling.  Every one of us.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Seven (6-23-15)
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 05:01:08 AM »
Jaffaran contacting Ybeline was awesome! Ybeline is a beautiful sim and those screenshots were amazing. They've made contact once so they can do it again, right? ? I love how the whole family are working together.

anything