Author Topic: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (FAILED)  (Read 8375 times)

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
Re: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (Ch. 4, 2/4)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:35 AM »
And I thought things were going well for Mika and Malcolm  ::) Please tell Gladsten to put all that hair away, lol.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28:04 AM »
And I thought things were going well for Mika and Malcolm  ::) Please tell Gladsten to put all that hair away, lol.

Let me assure you that they were far too different of people to fall in love, even if I made them.

Aww, and I came to associate Gladsten with his sweaty, exposed chest rug after that makeover. No way. :P
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
Sort of congratulations to Mika, I guess? Hope she can at least be civil with Malcolm in the future...

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (Ch. 5, 2/9)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
Sort of congratulations to Mika, I guess? Hope she can at least be civil with Malcolm in the future...

Considering that dynasty rules made her live with him, I hoped so too!

At least their kid was an adorable niblet.

Chapter 5: What Not to Love

Gladsten knew the value of fresh produce and a clean diet. He also knew the value of a delicious carb-bomb like a cheese Danish from the local bakery. One morning, he took that option. Kale salads failed to start conversations the way pastries could.

Malcolm also had the same general weakness, but his true weak spot was with a warm plum cobbler. It was all on his dime too. It impressed Gladsten enough for him to stay seated with his sweet breakfast, and the young man who knocked up his best friend.

“So you’ve been hanging around the house a lot,” Gladsten said. “I honestly thought I’d never see you again. You know, that you’d skip town out of fear, or that Mika would.”

“I’m sorry Mr. Farmwell. We got off on the wrong foot,” said Malcolm.

“Kid, you can call me Gladsten. We’re not punishing you. Why would I anyways?”

“I mean, I just have to be careful, Gladsten.”

“So what changed?”

After Malcolm spotted Mika at the lounge and learned the horrifying truth, he was initially at a loss for what to do. Working a low-level job and being under 25, he had nothing to lean back on. His roommates didn’t deserve that. His boss was single and child-free and didn’t understand. His friends were still few and far-between. Malcolm looked through his phone contacts in desperation. One number, leading to Bridgeport, always got scrolled past. It did until he couldn’t take it any longer, that is.

He interrupted work for it, ducking out to the bathroom. The phone rang thrice, then four times. The greeting from the answering machine answered his phone instead.

Hello, you have reached the Harris household. We’re probably listening to your message on speakerphone right now anyways. Please leave your number!

It was a risky piece of news to send them, especially when it had to sit or be listened to without him knowing. They might have been having the perfect morning, and there from the bathroom of a cheap salon, their maybe-exiled and only son bore bad news.

“Hey mum, hey dad,” he said. “I’m sorry it’s been so long. My job’s going well and stuff, and I really miss you guys. I just want some help. I’m in a tough place with this girl. And you guys are gonna be grandparents!”

Even with their end muted, Malcolm could almost hear the quick turn towards the phone. He could almost see their angry, contorted faces and wide eyes.

“Ron, are you hearing this?” his mother whispered.

“Take it off mute. We need to talk with this boy,” he said, pressing the button to answer. “Sorry Malcolm, hi there to you too. But, son, is that true?”

“Yeah, I didn’t think it would be either,” Malcolm said.

They tried to brush it off. “I mean, that’s great, Mal,” his dad replied. “Every parent wants to be a grandparent, of course.”

“I think it’s great too,” said his mum. “But I wish you invited us to the wedding. I mean, you obviously wouldn’t have done this without getting married first, right Malcolm?”

“I’m sorry, guys. I wish that’s what happened.”

“So you got your girlfriend pregnant out of wedlock,” his dad said, assuming that.

“I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“Please don’t tell us that you-”

“Look, I’m so sorry. It was a horrible mistake. She hates my guts, I need some advice about this. It’s been killing me lately,” Malcolm said. “I haven’t spoken to her in months.”

“How could you be so stupid, Malcolm?” his mother barked. “Christ, we let you go just 200 miles up north and you get drunk and knock up a girl who hates you? And then you don’t even speak to her? We didn’t raise you to do this.”

“But what can I do? She could kill me, for all I know.”

“Son, she’ll probably kill you for being a deadbeat too,” said his dad. “Stop moping and get something done about this.”

“But dad, she’s been rejecting all my calls-”

Persist, Malcolm. Good-bye.”

“But...but she’s…” It was clear that they hung up on him, and wouldn’t answer another call again either.

What an awful way to start his morning. Malcolm hardly had the drive to work, and his parents probably were not recovered either. He tried to forget about them, but his mum’s words rang in his mind. They raised him as better than that, just as she said. Granted, he forgot to mention her thighs that could crush watermelons between, and her undercut hairstyle. His conservative parents would skip a heartbeat with those descriptors.

It was true: Mika scared him. Which is why he went straight home after work and locked himself in his bedroom. He drew the blinds and moped around, or stood on edge, wondering if Mika broke into the house to enact revenge. Mika didn’t go near his house or his room, but Haley kicked the door open one day into his lock-in.

“First off, rent’s due, remember?” she said. Her delicate, pretty face showed anger that it almost never did. He handed her a check. “And second, Mr. Emo-pants, stop angsting get out of your room. Deedee and I have been talking and we think that you need to find this girl and just make a deal. Even if it’s child support, it’s better than nothing.”

“You’ve seen her, haven’t you? What if she’s angry?” Malcolm asked. “Would you like to be on the receiving end of PFC Pearl’s revenge?”

Haley rolled her eyes. “Be a man, Mal.”

Malcolm was not a guy for venturing out much. He did it when the other girls made him, and finding Mika was something that they made him do. He figured that she hung around bars, even in her third trimester, as she seemed into the music. But Mika didn’t turn up. He operating by hoping for luck to intervene. In spite of a bad start, it did.

On the wealthy side of town where he lived, there was a bistro. Large windows and sharp angles dominated its architecture. It might have been too ambitious for the market in Moonlight Falls, but he heard good things about the food. Maybe Mika did too. After all, Alice still visited the house and complained about her awful, strong pregnancy cravings. It had to be universal somehow, and maybe the bistro satisfied them.

Mika sat inside, at sunset, and studied the menu. Instead of camouflage, she wore a simple green jumper and black leggings. Malcolm approached her with caution, making sure that his sneakers didn’t stamp down on the floor. He slid into the seat without pushing it out. Thank goodness for being skinny.

She didn’t seem to notice him at first. He looked down at his menu, not even looking inside for appetizers. Once she turned her neck, he expected the worst and got something better.

Instead of anger, Mika was filled with defeat. Defeat threw a neutral expression on her face, and maybe that was scarier than her anger. “What do you want now?” she asked. “What could this fat, pregnant cow give to you? I thought you were scared.”

“I was, which is why I’m here now and not five months ago,” he said.

“I dunno, Malcolm, maybe I’m not so hungry. I think I’ll just go home, where I can keep you out,” Mika said, looking towards an exit. “It seems like a friggin’ great idea right now.”

“I want you to be happy,” he said. “I think talking this over will make you happier.”

“Okay, you listen,” said Mika. “It’s bad enough that some preening femme of a guy got drunk with me and did this. Have you not got it through your head that I don’t like you? I don’t want you to be Mr. Pearl, I don’t want you to be my partner, I don’t want you in my house. I don’t want to look at my kid and think about half of what went into him. I have myself and I have my actual best friend, who’s thrilled about being a godfather.”

“Well I’m thrilled about being a dad now.”

“Bull. Crap.”

“I’ve had a change of heart Mika, and I don’t want to be your lover. I just want to be your friend, and his dad. I mean, it is a he, right?”

“Got it checked and everything.”

“But can I just do that for you?” Malcolm asked. “I know I’m young, but I can mature past this. I want to start.”

“Were you guilt-tripped into this?” asked Mika.

“Four different people, including my parents.”

Mika grumbled. “Do you promise never to touch me again? Can you promise that we’ll really be just friends, at the most?”

“I swear on everything,” said Malcolm, waving his hand. “I’d put this hand on a Bible if we had one. I promise, Mika.”

“Fine,” she said. The chef stepped up to the table.

“And what can I get for this lovely couple?” he asked them. They both cringed at the word “couple.” Malcolm even had it on his face, which made Mika melt into a slight smile.

“We’re not a couple, and we changed our minds. We’re not hungry,” she said.

“Well screw you too,” said the chef, walking away in a huff. They walked out the door. Mika had a nice expression on her face while around Malcolm, for the first time in months.

“There’s just one more thing I want to ask you,” said Malcolm. He reached out his hand, near her tummy. “May I? I mean, he is mine.”

She groaned. “Oh fine, since he is.” He leaned in close instead, with his ear almost right up against the bump.

“Oh my god,” he said, almost squealing. “There’s a nooboo in there!”

“Yeah, I know. Do they not educate you about nooboos here up north?”

“But, I made him.” His ear was touching her. Mika pushed him away.

“And I’m bitter that you did. But we can make this work, I guess. You can visit whenever you like, as long as you behave.”

“I promise, Ms. Pearl! But...can I get a good-bye hug?”

“Don’t push it, kiddo.”

He hung around the house once given permission, often sleeping over and cooking breakfast as a courtesy. Mika gave in to the temptation of carbs and ate a plate of pancakes when he made them. It turned out that he wasn’t useless after all.

Not that long later, their son was born. Healthy and peachy-pink, they brought him home and named him Matthew for the alliterative appeal.

And Malcolm would never be called a deadbeat.

That is what changed, and why Gladsten brought him out for breakfast. He liked the story and called Malcolm a fine young man for doing the right thing.

“I’m glad you like me,” Malcolm said. “I’m really glad. Because Mika’s really changed her heart about this. She’s going to...she’s gonna help me break my lease, that’s what it is. You have a spare bed in the house, and a tent, so I think it will be okay. Right, Gladsten?”

“It’s her house, so if she’s given you the okay, I think we’ll do fine,” said Gladsten.

“So are you dating that woman who lives in the haunted mansion? Because that’s just plain awesome,” said Malcolm.

“Yes? They’re really tame ghosts, actually. You’d be bored. And dating is a strong word…”

“...We have a son and he matters the most in this. I like Helen, but I also could care less about her. But come to think of it, I think you know as well as I do what it’s like raising a kid you had with someone you don’t love.”

“True that.”

As Malcolm slept and prepared for his next shift, Mika had all the time in her maternity leave to stay up and tend to Matthew when he had trouble sleeping. She carried him out to the shed that night, and cradled him as she rocked. Some house tape was playing on the stereo.

“So this is it,” she muttered to Matt. “Me and my friend and your dad, raising you in this hellhole.”

She mostly referred to the shed, with its burnt walls and the crumbling furniture. Under a full moon, the moan of a zombie hoard resonated in the distance. Some squatter used their tent. The tape started to skip. The beer in the mini-fridge was well-past its “best by” date. “But you’re a darn good reason to make this better,” she finished. “And a darn cute one.” It was weird to admit it, but Matt was cute. He had pretty green eyes and his mother’s smile already.

Little did either of them know about what was under the mattress of that old bed.

Word Count for this chapter: 2,139
Word Count so far: 9,410

For those not familiar with Moonlight Falls, Malcolm doesn't come with parents, so I reverse-engineered his for this chapter.

I know my dynasty rules, and just to make this super-clear, Malcolm was always a part of the household. I moved him in on the first day.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:43 AM »
Heliked the story and called Malcolm a fine young man for doing the right thing.

Just noticed that, otherwise a great chapter as usual. I feel sorry for Malcolm, his parents are *** Welcome to Matt, can't wait to see if he's cuter than Gladsten's kid.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »
Well it's story embellishment, wouldn't be the same if you had moved him straight in for the story.

I like Mika's maternity wear, I went on a splurge of downloading EA enabled maternity clothes the other day, so nice to have more choices, plus my zombie apocalypse sim could still wander around in just her undies while pregnant seeing as she can't be bothered to get dressed anymore  ;D

I really like Malcolm's hair colour, it shows up well in some of these screenshots. Nice job on the parents as well.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:49 PM »
And Malcolm would never be called a deadbeat.

Right on, Malcolm! Good for you  ;D Matthew is a cutie.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (Ch. 6, 2/15)
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 01:18:24 AM »
Just noticed that, otherwise a great chapter as usual. I feel sorry for Malcolm, his parents are *** Welcome to Matt, can't wait to see if he's cuter than Gladsten's kid.

Fixed it. :)

Matt was a major cutie-pie for most of his life. Gladsten's son wasn't so lucky once he stopped being a cute child. :(

Well it's story embellishment, wouldn't be the same if you had moved him straight in for the story.

I like Mika's maternity wear, I went on a splurge of downloading EA enabled maternity clothes the other day, so nice to have more choices, plus my zombie apocalypse sim could still wander around in just her undies while pregnant seeing as she can't be bothered to get dressed anymore  ;D

I really like Malcolm's hair colour, it shows up well in some of these screenshots. Nice job on the parents as well.

I do love having a large variety of maternity clothes now. :D I use a mixture of default-replacements for EA clothes and 100% custom clothes that are good for maternity.

I think Malcolm's hair color was half of the reason I ended up using him. It caught my eye when I first played Moonlight Falls.

Right on, Malcolm! Good for you  ;D Matthew is a cutie.

Yeah, I couldn't have him be a bad guy in this.

Chapter 6: Where There's a Will

“He’s cute. Ain’t that weird.”

“Well of course he is. He looks just like his sexy momma.”

Mika flicked Malcolm on the back of the head for that comment. But after their son’s first birthday, they agreed: their little man was the cutest nugget around. Though he looked only half like his sexy momma, with Malcolm’s jaw and needle-nose added to the mix. She asked him about the dark, chestnut brown hair, which came from him too. Underneath the dye, Malcolm said, he was a natural brunette. Also, it looked so weird on Matthew, if you asked him. Mika stumbled in from work, drained after being the referee to the children’s football playoffs all day, and noticed that Matt was fast-asleep and looking different.

“What a Malcolm thing to do,” Mika muttered, as she took note of the change. Her son’s brown hair took the same treatment as his dad’s, in the exact shade of deep blue. It matched his pajamas. Still, Matt slept like the darling boy he was and was just as cute. Mika couldn’t be angry.

When Malcolm woke up the next morning, Mika approached him with a more gentle demeanor. “It’s non-toxic dye, right?”

“It’s the same I use. It’s fine. I’ve been using it since I was 13 and I’m doing great,” he said.

“Well, you need to run the test for longer than five years.” Mika got her own flick to the back of the head for that.

“You’re just sad that you’re getting older too,” Malcolm said. She rolled her eyes.

“I’m gonna do fine, except for when I need to do something new with my hair. Keeping up with being edgy is so tough.”

“I can always help you with that.”

“We’ll see. You can have your fun with Matt for now, but I can wash out that dye later. He’d look cute getting it buzzed off too.”

Mika planned for a night out that night, whether if it was to celebrate her favorite team’s win or drown the sorrows following their loss. Thankfully, it was for a win. She got her usual formal gear on, as she was fond of that cropped jacket. One of the guys let Matthew out of his swing. He crawled around. Therefore, he acted like a normal toddler, but Mika had enough of raising a human on all fours.

The lounge could wait.

He took to bipedality well, even if he stumbled at first. “Come on Matt, come to mummy,” she said to him multiple times. Those were words Mika never thought she’d have to say to anyone. And yet, raising Matt put a smile on her face as wide as his. It was clear that the little boy had his mum’s expressions after all. He laughed the same way when she tickled his tummy, and looked downright angry when his nappy needed changing. Perhaps Malcolm deserved to have a little more of him shine through with Matt.

That is why he kept the dyed hair for a long, long time.

For one, it was funny seeing Matthew and his dad together, matching in at least one color scheme. Due to Malcolm’s open hours, he assumed a lot of the care of Matthew. Mika left off her walking lesson to go to work again, but for once, she had to say “yeah, thank goodness for your dad.”

It was cute.

When both of his parents and Gladsten were all out working or attending to their personal matters, Matthew liked dolls. Lots of toddlers did, though he did it enough for his adults to get plenty of pictures of his playing with his favorite one.

Even though he continued that right into his first night out at the lounge, Matt’s favorite toy is just a small detail in this chapter. Perhaps a device to show how unaware he was. Things were more serious on the adults’ side. Gladsten was absent from the house most days and looked downright miserable when he wasn’t. All Mika could infer was “commitment.” She herself got a little older than night. Malcolm seemed like the only cheerful one, until that night. His job was great, the single life treated him well, and he had the most adorable boy in Moonlight Falls to dote on.

Mika’s birthday came, without any cake (had to keep those abs, after all). She pretended to be surprised by it. Malcolm kept his place in his barstool, with a solemn face.

She looked, and indeed was, uncomfortable with what middle-age gave her. Her strained face showed it before she could even get a look in the mirror. Malcolm cracked a smile, albeit a small one. He picked up Matthew and headed towards the back of the lounge.

Worried, for once, Mika followed him there. He seemed happy enough with a cute little Matthew to snuggle.

“You okay there, bud?” Mika asked him.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I’m always fine with this little guy.”

“Don’t worry, I agree. You’ve just seemed down all night.”

He turned towards her, with a smile even she could see was forced. “I just got a promotion! I think I’m okay after that.”

“Mal, this apathy thing is my game. I’m the one who actually has masculinity to defend,” said Mika. “So, what’s getting you down?”

“Okay, okay. My parents called today, and, and...I know you shouldn’t care. My uncle Vince passed away,” Malcolm said. “They want me to go to Bridgeport for the burial. Apparently there’s something in the will for me.”

“So go?” Mika said.

“The parents want to meet Matt.”

“I’ll miss him, but okay.”

“And I need you to pretend to be my wife!”

“Are you mad?” Mika asked. Angry, her lips puckered up and her jaw clenched. “You’ve had a lot of bad ideas, but...did you even think this over at all?”

“It just slipped out when they called. I'm so sorry. I know you don’t like me like that,” Malcolm said, recoiling back.

“It’s not even that. Do I look like someone’s wife?”

“I can help with that. Cover up your tats, get some extensions, just for a few days?”

“Geez, how conservative are your parents?” she asked.

“They’re old money and in their 60’s. They think that I’m too edgy and dangerous for them,” he said.

“How much of a wife do I have to be to you?”

“Not much.”

“And, and this is the only reason I’m considering doing this at all. Are the clubs as good as I’ve heard?”

“Pretty sweet, if you ask me.”

Mika looked him in the eyes. “Just remember, this is pretend.”

“That’s clear, Mika.”

“So get me looking like an honest woman. I’m curious if you can.”

The next morning, he tried that. Malcolm had years of cosmetology experience behind him, even back then. Finding extensions that could attach to her buzzed hair was tough. He went through every precaution so that Mika would stand a chance of being tolerated by his parents for less than a week.

She did not appreciate the effort. It was all wrong! She lost almost all of her tough edge, and went with the worst of short haircuts. Girly pixie cuts did not say “Mika Pearl” one bit.

“This is terrible,” she said, in a flat tone.

“As I said, they’re conservative, and you’re fine with looking like a wife. So good-bye to your undercut, and hello to a long-sleeve cardigan. It also covers up your biceps. Now you look fit, but not too fit. It’s perfect for the story of you as a freelance yoga instructor,” he said.

“I don’t look like me at all.” She stepped off the station. Malcolm turned around to convince her otherwise about the makeover.

“Well, now you look so plain that no one will flirt with you!” he said. “I mean, that is what you were aiming for, right?”

“In a sense. Do guys really find some corrupted punk aesthetic pleasing?” she asked.

“I liked it.”

“I guess I can stick with this for a few days,” she said.

They boarded a plane early the next morning, as Malcolm’s loaded parents bought the “couple” emergency plane tickets for them. The flight was uneventful, aside from Matt being an annoyance to nearby passengers. He fussed like toddlers tend to do. However, he calmed down for Bridgeport and the drive up the hills. Malcolm’s parents lived up there, in posh elegance.

He did the honors of introducing her and Matt to his parents. They raised their eyebrows at her, and she responded with her stern resting face. He sure was right about them being conservative. The elders of Isla Paradiso knew that sweaters always made a person look stuffy and formal.

“It’s nice to see you again,” his mother said. “And I see you were right when you said that you got married.”

“Yep! This is Mika, my sexy wife,” he said. “And of course, the mother of the best son in the world.”

“I mean, it is nice for a one-night-stand,” his dad said. “I thought she’d be a little more delicate.”

“Those are beautiful yoga muscles you’re seeing.” Malcolm then turned to his mother for either small talk or a somber conversation about her dead brother. Matt started to squirm, so Mika lowered herself to put him on the ground.

Malcolm’s father looked at her, judging. “You really let him use hair dye on a little kid?” he asked. Mika rolled her eyes. Two minutes and she already had enough of her “in-laws.”

“You know what, I think it’s pretty cute,” she said. “And he’s my kid, not yours.”

“I bet he’d look better with his natural color. And if he had his father’s eyes instead. Are you feeding him organic? His gram is a stickler for that, and I think she’s right. Did you choose his last name? I hope you did-” Mika did a motion to shut him up. His words were like a cheese grater to her mind.

“Look, Mr. Harris, I’m here to support Malcolm. As for your grandson, you’ll get to do plenty with him tonight. We’re going out for some drinks,” she said.

“That’s your first thought about this place?” he asked.

“The Brightmore has a great reputation up north too.”

As it turned out, they were able to have fun with the setup too.

Mika breathed a sigh of relief as she was able to get some distressed jeans on again. Malcolm could dress down too, and feel the EDM bass in his heart. Mika danced harder than him. She hadn’t danced in so long. But that night, there was a place to put her arms up and just let it go.

In fact, it was enough of a rush and relief for her to consider eschewing a cocktail or two.

She considered otherwise, and ordered a tray of them for her and Malcolm to split. He, sometime before that, got some special surgery to make any future drunken encounters less regrettable. It also made Mika trust the two of them around alcohol a little more. They didn’t black out that night. In fact, they could still embarrass themselves while conscious.

“Wanna know what my favorite thing is?” she asked Malcolm. “Come on, you gotta try it too.” She pointed towards the counters behind the bar.

“I’ve seen it, but that’s just shameless,” he said.

“That’s the point. I mean, four years ago, you got drunk enough to knock up someone too tough for her own good. This is pretty tame after that, huh?”

“Fine, Mika.”

Someone had to clean the counters extra-well after that. The busty bartender seemed amused by them, laughing as she shook a drink.

“Hey, why don’t try laying a smooth move on her?” Mika said, pointing towards the bar. Including the bartender, two women were there.

“Which one?” Malcolm asked.

“The one with boobs.”

The bartender indeed had a large pair of funbags. Malcolm laughed at the thought.

“Margherita? I went to high school with her,” he said. “That’s ridiculous. She’d never give me the time of day.”

“The white-haired one, then?”

“Matilda? I went to prom with her. That...that did not go well.”

“Sorry then. Keep dancing. The groove gets sick right around here.”

After making public fools of themselves, they both got drunk-hungry. Malcolm, the city-slicker he tried to be, recommended scouting out a food truck. Mika, who was raised on the fusion of cuisines that Isla Paradiso offered, perked up at the mention of Mexican food. It was kind of close to home, if she ignored the details. All they had to do was chase down the truck, which was near a grungy tower and a construction site.

But it had something for them to sink their teeth into, which mattered the most.

“It’s different. I should have asked for hot sauce,” Mika said. “Too used to it.”

“I should have been so much fatter when I lived here. I loved this place,” said Malcolm. “What was home like for you?”

“Geez. Everything from paella to tea-smoked duck to spam musubi. Lots of cookouts on the beach. You know, it’s pretty fun there, grabbing a pint by the pool.”

“I think I’m wrong for Bridgeport. Nothing’s haunted over here, but there are a lot of haunted houses in Moonlight Falls. The vampires aren’t stuck up over there either. That Van Gould girl is the friendliest person I know.”

“Is she your squeeze? I think you need a squeeze,” Mika said.

“Aren’t you supposed to have an accurate gaydar? She moved in with Bailey Swain, saw them kissing in back of the gym one day. Emelie’s not my squeeze,” said Malcolm.

“And why am I supposed to have a good gaydar?”

“I thought you were-”

“Nah, straight as an arrow,” Mika said. “Ain’t that hard to believe. I guess I’m just frigid too, but I like guys. Some of them are hot.”

“Have any crushes?” he asked.

“Not you, for starters. I don’t get that many, but I guess I have a type. I like them fit and manly. Um, brown eyes are great. Nothing wrong with body hair either. There’s definitely someone out there for me. I just need to stop being so icy. You?” Malcolm had a quizical look on his face instead. “What? I mean, it’s fine if you don’t. I just care if you chip in for utilities.”

“You just described Gladsten,” he said. “Might want to tell him this instead.”

She squinted her eyes, trying to deflect his comment. “It can describe a lot of guys. Why would I like him? He can’t keep a relationship. He’s pretty old.”

“You’re just sounding lovesick now. I mean, I’d love to see you two hook up! You’re thick as thieves already. It would work.”

“God, Malcolm, things are complicated,” she said, groaning and leaning over the picnic table. “Too complicated for you to try and play matchmaker.”

“Should I call a cab?” he asked. Mika nodded. They needed sleep before the burial the next day. And she needed it to find a good next-morning explanation for Malcolm.

There was nothing tough in avoiding her problems.

Word Count for this chapter: 2,525
Word Count so far: 11,935

Matt was actually born with Mika's dark hair, but he got a dye job because I really, really wanted Malcolm's hair passed down in the worst way.

His green eyes come from absolutely nowhere, but I'm oddly pleased. He reminds me of Sinbad Rotter with those eyes, and that's never a bad thing! I really wanted that color to get passed down in the Waverlys, which it didn't.

And for all the joking that Mika does about Malcolm being a youngster, I estimated that he starts out in his early/mid-20's while Mika's about a decade older.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 05:45:28 AM »
Can't get over how adorable Matt is and the hair colour looks good on him. It's a lot nicer to see Mika and Mal get along, though I'll admit to laughing when seeing her makeover. Love the pose you used of Matt and his grandparents.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
Can't get over how adorable Matt is and the hair colour looks good on him. It's a lot nicer to see Mika and Mal get along, though I'll admit to laughing when seeing her makeover. Love the pose you used of Matt and his grandparents.

He was illegally adorable. I did enjoy giving Mika a more traditional makeover just to say I did, but I was glad that it was just for two chapters too.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with that shot. :D

Chapter 7: In Memory

The cabbie got them home safely. Due to still being lucid, Mika and Malcolm found their way upstairs to their reserved room: Malcolm’s old childhood bedroom. They got themselves into warm pajamas for the cold Bridgeport night. Before plopping down on the double bed, they placed a sleepy Matt on one of the beanbag chairs in that room and hoped that he wouldn’t roll off.

One of them set a phone alarm for 7 that morning. It would give them enough time for breakfast and freshening up before the burial, plus more time to spare. It woke Malcolm up on time, but Mika was still in the middle of a dream. Matt was too. He went downstairs, to be greeted by a carton of eggs, leftover Hollandaise sauce, and a fresh watermelon. Mika would appreciate some breakfast in bed, for sure!

She slept through him leaving the room, but him walking back in with a plate of Eggs Machiavellian woke her up. She rubbed her eyes. “Geez, I slept through that?” she asked him.

“It’s fine. Breakfast?” He presented her with the plate.

“I’m not feeling it, sorry.” Obliging, he put the plate on one of the end tables.

“Last night seemed rough for you. Are you okay?” he asked.

“Did you sleep with me again?” He shook his head no, with fear filling him. “Then I’m pretty fine, actually.”

“Still holding that against me?”

“It’s a joke, relax.”

“I don’t get jokes a lot, okay? But, you just seemed off last night. You know, a mixture of drunk-honesty and regret. It makes me worry.”

“Well, don’t worry,” said Mika. “Worrying is for parents and overbearing partners. You’re neither to me.”

“Okay, then,” he said. She sat up on the bed looked around his room more while trying to wake up. It was harder to notice when she was buzzed, but the room looked incongruous from the rest of the house. He decorated it with black wallpaper. Two skull-print rugs livened up the floor. He had a drum set and an electric guitar, also in black. The place was meant to scream “I’m so edgy even though I’m 15.”

“I take it that you had an embarrassing childhood too?” she asked.

“Hard to hide it now, right? I’m so glad you didn’t know me back then. I mean, we can talk about this together. Maybe get some bad memories out, right?” Malcolm bent down on one knee, to get on her level.

“You win,” Mika said. “How about your life first?”

“I fell into the trends of those days,” he said, with a sigh. “You’d never guess that I’d grow up to be interested in real fashion.”

“Angled bangs, went through a tube of eyeliner a month, tried to form a screamo band?”

“How did you know?”

“Younger cousins. Believe me, that crap spread everywhere. Even to the tropics.”

“Oh, well, I had to have been the worst. Take a look.” He got his phone out of his pajama pockets and found an old photo. He cringed at revisiting that slice of his past, but Mika did her best to stifle a laugh.

“Dear Jesus, Mal! Hot pink lipstick? Beginner guitar skills? Never changing your dye color?” She still wanted to laugh. Malcolm could see it in her face.

“I mean, it works as a color,” he said.

“True.”

“So, could you be any worse?”

“I was fat.”

“What, you?”

“You just need good food. If you want good food, it’s simple. Live in a Spanish colony, be born into a blend of cultures with delicious food, and have two parents who can cook. I mean, it worked for me. It worked really well. They never even tried to stop me. But yeah, I didn’t always have a gym membership.”

“How fat are we talking?” Malcolm then got handed a phone, and a picture of young Mika grilling some hot dogs.

“Kind of a porker, that’s what,” she said. “I was that way for a while.”

“I’m glad you changed. You seem at home in your body now.”

“I am. It is home. But, you know how I like to be tough? I just need to tell you some things and stop avoiding some bad memories. It’s about some things that happened to that fat girl. To me.”

“I’m here to listen, Mika. I might not be your husband, but, I gotta listen.”

“Fat kids get bullied, and it’s a darn shame that they do,” Mika said. “If they could fit me in a locker, they would have stuffed me in there. I’ve gotten black eyes, swirlies, bad surprises snuck into my backpack...you get it. And I never thought to defend myself. How could I? I wasn’t strong but chubby. Just chubby. I couldn’t pull that off.”

“Sounds rough.”

“It blew.”

“So what was your turning point?” Malcolm asked.

“Getting a mouthful of sand on one of the beaches. Him...him...let’s call him Johnny. He was relentless. Brought me to the ground with one swift punch. He seemed so dang proud of himself for that. But, I don’t think that was the turning point,” said Mika. “I don’t think I’ve ever had one.”

“Just weight loss?”

“Yep. Pretty happy for that. But I made a lot of other bad decisions. I mean, look at me. I’m close to forty now and I haven’t had a single good relationship. I’ve ran out of a lot of guys’ houses in tears. I’ve had the entire spectrum of bad woohoo. I hate to admit this...you were my second-best choice so far.”

“Best, then?”

“You know what got me angry last night.”

“So, you did it with him?” Malcolm asked. “I...I don’t know how to feel about that. I didn’t expect it. He always speaks about you like you’re a real friend. Like nothing happened between you two at all. But...it makes a lot of sense too. I dunno, tell me about it. That's why we're here.”

“I don’t blame him. It was just one night,” Mika said. “Back in Isla Paradiso. I’d spent the better part of a year as his best friend in the world by that point. So we acted like buffoons on the beach, sucking back beers and playing frisbee with some college kids. And for a while, I wondered what friendship and love felt like. I hadn’t felt the real deal for either until he came along. I think, that one day, was one day where literally nothing went wrong. And it was all with Gladsten.”

“Everyone had cleared by the nighttime. It’s kind of a sad place on that beach at night,” she continued. “But we stayed. I think he had another beer, but I felt dazzled. He was shirtless that day, and you know what he’s like under there. Hairy, strong, masculine. It’s what I liked, and I finally felt happy enough to entertain the thought. Sure, Gladsten was my best friend, but he was my hot best friend. So, I lay on a beach towel and just watched him. And he seemed to watch me back. I was lucid for all of it, maybe he was too.”

“And you did it on the beach.” Malcolm said it with confidence, as if he was spoiling the story for Mika.

“Yep. That’s the end to that night. But before that, I got up from my towel and told him I’m into you tonight. Are you the same way, babe? As I said, not sober, neither of us. But he grabbed me and locked me in for a long, long kiss. It was the first and last one I seemed to enjoy. I’ll let you picture the rest yourself. But after that, we woke up in the morning, all sandy and disheveled, apologized, and tried to forget. And it has been my duty to forget. I value my friendship more than one fun encounter, you know? He’d never take it seriously, he didn’t want to. So, I haven’t quite yet but I need to let that night go. It was the best night I had, but I need to stay open to others.”

“Here’s to your new life?” His voice sounded so unsure.

“Here’s to it. I’ll let your parents know that I’m awake,” she said, heading for the door. Malcolm got up too to do the same, but only for a second. Mika turned back towards him, on the verge of tears.

“It’s horrible, Mal. I...that’s crap I’ve been spewing. I want him in the worst way.” She hung her head down as she said it, stifling back sobs that should have been saved for the burial. “Dang it, I want Gladsten so bad, and I don’t like admitting it.”

“Alright. Here’s to some success with hi-”

“But the thing is, you know how he is with commitment. Like, I’ve known him for a while. He’s cheated on girls, likes to end things. You can’t change that about him and I can’t either. I can’t go through that. It’s that stupid fear of ruining a friendship, because I need that from him too. I’m...I can’t believe I’m saying this. I’m scared of saying this."

"I think it's good that you got it out," Malcolm said. "I think you need to, and work towards overcoming it-"

"No, no. You know what, screw this," said Mika. "What have I been saying this morning? Of course I'm in love, but...but I shouldn't have to trust this with you! But I have to now. Don’t say a word about this to him.”

“I promise, Mika,” he said. “I’m sorry you feel that way. Anyways, I’ll take a shower.”

“Alright, alright.” Malcolm, like an obedient dog, left her alone in the room. Mika mulled over the situation. Was she overreacting? And in what way? Heck, was she even acting with a modicum of rational thought? After all, he was still her friend after that one night. He even shared a house with her, supporting her through the best and worst of times. But they both gave every indication of forgetting, or blaming the alcohol.

And was her crush even the most important thing?

The conversation and emotions woke Matthew up, though he kept himself quiet while sitting up in the beanbag chair. Mika had to get him dressed for the burial service, and plenty of other things for years after that. She also had a job. Gladsten had his too. Plus, she put the boy in such a weird situation without trying to romance his godfather again.

As she said, it was time to forget, at least for that day. She scooped up Matthew for a good morning tickle. “Your nana says that she has something for you downstairs.” Of course, it was just a suit for the occasion. Mika packed something else. After some arguing with Malcolm and tearing one of the conservative blazers he offered her, Mika got half of her way with the funeral garb.

The cardigan and skinny pants worked wonders for keeping Mika in a passable mood that day. Granted, she kept a stone face as the best option. She didn’t feel for the death of the good Vincent Blackburn the same way his own nephew or other family members did. No one blamed her for it either.

After the family felt like they could leave his grieving widow alone, Malcolm’s parents approached Mika with ideas for the rest of the day. They’d treat her to dinner, they said, or show her around the city’s art museum. All quiet ideas involving them drowning their sorrows in a classy way.

“We’ll see about tonight, but I’m gonna find something for Matt to do first,” she said. “It’s been a long morning for him, you know?”

She and Malcolm headed to Marina Field, where there was a playground and a fantastic view of grungy, industrial Bridgeport. Although they did their best to watch over Matthew and keep him entertained, they threw him on the spring rider so they could chat instead. It was small-talk. Malcolm was able to talk about his uncle Vince, about those good times. From what he said, he was a kind old man, if a little bland in his kindness.

They spoke about jobs and old friends, and more about their hometowns. Mika even recalled some good times back in Isla Paradiso. Many good times, in fact. It was a place where the mangoes were sweeter and the seawater was warmer. Like many a tropical island, it had the scenery to attract thousands of annoying tourists a year. She liked to make fun of them, or give them wildly misleading directions.

Malcolm grew up in a city, which also harbored annoying tourists. They knew nothing about subway etiquette and were always the worst drivers. The air quality was poor, but the greasy spoons and food trucks couldn’t be beat. High school sucked, like it tends to do, but all of the best bands came to Bridgeport for concerts. He even broke a leg in a mosh pit at one of them. It was hard to get bored in Bridgeport.

They did what honest-to-God friends do, though Mika would later admit that maybe she was just being nice to a grieving young man. Maybe. It wasn’t enough to make Malcolm one of her bros, equal to someone she stuck with since boot camp. However, it still made their time in Bridgeport better.

Matthew was pulled off his spring rider too soon, so he didn’t have as great of a time.

When it came time to go home, Mika had to face the question of honesty. Would she be honest with Gladsten instead of hiding her feelings? And, in the waning hours of her trip, would she come clean to Malcolm’s parents about being a different woman than they thought?

The second one was easy.

It was their last night in Bridgeport, and Malcolm’s father did something to bore Mika, or annoy her. He asked why she didn’t wear dresses, or wondered what that black splotch on her right arm was. Maybe he didn’t like how she cleaned the sheets. She tolerated his mother, maybe out of pity for a woman who lost her own sibling the week before, but Mr. Harris was a nag.

She didn’t use her magic as much as she should have, even for a woman living in a magical mountain town. Mika likened her power to a natural way to perform parlor tricks. She had neither a parlor nor the biting urge to play tricks. Leave those to the fairies.

In spite of that, she kept her wand in an inner shirt pocket. She also learned how to magically freeze things some time back. It was fun and useful for freezing Gladsten’s caught fish, or making sure that a carton of ice cream wasn’t too soft. She tried it on herself and lived, even if she lived freezing until she took a long, hot shower. It was sort of non-lethal punishment that Malcolm’s dad needed.

She fished the wand out of her pocket. “Don’t tell me you’re one of those devil worshippers,” his dad said.

“No, but for being up on my case this whole time, I can do some devilish things,” Mika said.

“Like what? I’m not going to stand for this, Mika.”

“Oh, don’t worry, it’s harmless. Uncomfortably harmless, but harmless.” The words did nothing to placate the old man, who thought that the wrath of Satan himself was at the end of her wand.

It was more like a snowstorm broke out in the middle of their living room. He panicked, running towards the door to the kitchen.

“Meredith! We’re not letting Malcolm’s devil wife back into the house!” he yelled. Mika followed that order though, especially because they had a flight to board regardless.

While on the plane, Matthew slept and his parents had one last talk before resuming their regular lives. “I don’t know what to think of what you did to him,” Malcolm said, in reference to the ice blast.

“I don’t know how you stand him,” said Mika.

“I don’t, but I grit my teeth and deal with it. I mean, shucks, he’s my dad!”

“I mean, I’m gonna have to face a big fear when I get home. Maybe you can stop being a doormat.”

“Maybe you’ll stop being so harsh when you hear about the will,” Malcolm said. “I met with his widow yesterday. I got what I was granted, and it’s our money now.”

“How much?” she asked.

“200 grand. That’s enough for...a lot! I can have a nice house and get married and everything. And you can too.”

“I don’t know who it’s more likely for,” Mika said. “Probably you, to be honest.”

“Really?”

“You’re not the one who’s choosing between Gladsten and the single life.”

“That’s a harsh way to look at it.”

“I’m not expecting some other hairy outdoorsman to stumble into Moonlight Falls.”

“Well, I want to see you two succeed, okay?” he said. “I want my two favorite soldiers slash single parents to fall in love with each other. In fact, it would warm my heart.”

“Hey, if it happens, I’ll make sure that he makes you the best man,” Mika said. “But I’m not counting on it.”

“But promise you’ll tell him about your feelings?”

“Promise, kid, okay?”

Mika blamed life, work, and raising a toddler, but she couldn’t ignore her own shortcoming. She held off on telling Gladsten, and no, Malcolm wasn’t happy about her breaking a promise either.

Word Count for this chapter: 2,922
Word Count so far: 14,857

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
Re: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (Ch. 7, 2/20)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 05:48:10 PM »
Oh no, the title threw me off, I thought Gladsten had died in between the chapters. Anyway, I always believed Mika's love was one sided and have a glimmer of hope Gladsten will do the right thing - hardly likely but a girl can dream. Malcolm's Mum deserved an ice blast of her own  ;D Matthew is looking unbelievably adorable and the pink suits him, unlike his Dad, lol.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Pearl of Great Price: A 4x4 Dynasty (FAILED)
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
Failing my own rulesets is a lovely thing, ain't it?

Basically, I forgot to cure generation two's babymomma of her fairy before they tried for baby. Maybe their kidlet would turn out to be a witch like him, but you know, I broke something. And I'm not going to use my powers to reverse it where I otherwise would say "tough luck, it's your fault" to someone else.

As for the state of my story, I don't know what I'll do next time. Use Mika again and just re-write her story? Make someone else? Will I start in Moonlight Falls again, or find a different place?

I'm not too sure. :-\

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
Oh no! I'm so sorry!  :(

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »
Oh no! I'm so sorry!  :(

It stinks, but I'm recovering well. Some things were getting off in that file, like how my heir wasn't able to drink elixirs after a vacation. And there were a few glitchy inactive households, which made me sad too.

I have plans to start over soon enough. But I'm moving this to the Graveyard at my request. Because I'll be starting a new thread for my story...I can revive this thread, but why would I want to?

anything