Author Topic: Newcomers in Newcrest (Failed -- Move to Graveyard)  (Read 57981 times)

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- Mar 23)
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Couldn't agree more!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:20 AM »
Thanks, everyone! I'm working on the club challenge now but plan to get back to the Bairds and Zargons soon.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
Baird, Week 13

For some reason, aliens seem to like Alexander Goth. Even though there are no aliens on the lot, no one in the family is in the science career, and no one has a rocket ship or telescope, they still come for him. Luckily, this time he returned without a baby on board.

Cassandra celebrated her young adult birthday, with commentary from Marigold:  "What do you mean, you can't blow out the candles? It's a good thing you play the violin and not the trumpet."

A few hours later, Cassandra returned the favor: "What, the great all-star and MVP of the Newcrest Numbskulls can't blow out her candles?"

Marigold: "They're obviously defective. Twenty-two. Thirteen. WOOSH!"

On the whole, Cassandra has been happy living with her brother and his family. While she might have to spend more time painting and less time playing the violin, she does get an age-appropriate hairstyle and cuter clothing – in black, of course.

And in exchange for helping out at the store – and preventing hostilities between long-term shopping rivals Tianna Oirat and Maliya Patel --

Cassandra gets private lessons from legendary violinist, Azalea Baird.

Meanwhile, Sharon has been making friends. Her first friend was her great-grandmother Dahlia...

Sharon: "I'd love to have a womrat. Don't you think womrats are adorable?"

...and her second adult friend was her grandmother, Azalea.

Sharon: "Do you think we'll ever get womrats? They're so cute, just fluffballs with eyes. I'd love to have a womrat."

She has met several children at the playground. Eduardo was mean, so becoming friends with him was hard, but Jabari Rowley cheered her up.

And was delighted to come over and play Don't Wake the Llama with her.

She followed the more traditional route of friend-making by watching clouds with Michael Cormier.

Sharon: "Don't you think that cloud looks like a womrat?"

Michael: "All clouds look like womrats. White womrats or sometimes gray."

Stargazing was how she made friends with Forrest Weiner.

Marigold: "Honey, I can't tell whether Forrest is a girl or a boy."

Sharon: "Honestly, Mom," eye-roll, "that sort of thing doesn't matter any more."

Marigold: "You can't tell, either, can you."

Sharon: "Nope."

By the end of the week, Sharon had completed her Social Butterfly aspiration and become an A student.

Marigold was also making rapid progress at work, requiring only one more promotion to max her career in sports. One evening at the Rattlesnake Juice Bar, she made an interesting discovery:  she could have fun checking out her opponents by watching sports on TV.

She made another interesting discovery by observing the patrons.

Marigold: "You know, Alex, I think the guy who married that Zargon girl might be pregnant."

Alexander: "Really?"

Marigold: "He kept his arm over his bump most of the time, but I saw him in profile, and it definitely looks big enough for a baby."

Alexander: "Maybe it's just a beer belly."

Marigold: "We'll just have to wait and see. But it's something you might put in that sci-fi book you're writing – Abducted."

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- April 9)
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »
That had me giggling, particularly the end.  I love watching her make friends and the constant mention of womrats was awesome!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
I was surprised to see how beautiful Marigold's great-grandmother is!
What a delightful way to document Marigold working on her Social Butterfly aspiration.

Like SheWolf13, I also giggled at the conversation between Marigold and Alex.
Great last shot of the Zargon hubby with his hand over his baby bump!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
@Shewolf13, Sharon spent a lot of time talking about animals, and I decided she looks like a little girl who would want a womrat. And of course, she'd be obsessive about it.
@oshizu, Dahlia's a great advertisement for the Rival Dynasties -- "Become the Founder of a Rival Dynasty, and you'll never grow old!* No ambrosia required!"

*Not too old -- adult, probably. Depends on how fast you can produce an heir.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »
Zargon, Week 14

First of all, there's a new addition to the family:  Coleman's son, Braylon.

"Honey, what's the mailbox doing in the living room?" Eris asked. When she got closer, she saw that there was a baby inside. "Hello, there," she cooed. Braylon gurgled back.

Eris had Monday off, but Tuesday she had a list of instructions for Coleman before going to work: "The baby's been fed and diapered, and the twins will be at school most of the day, but they'll get home three hours before I do. I want you to make sure that Voldy does his homework, and Malf seems to be coming down with a cold, so you should have him drink a glass of orange juice...Coleman, are you even listening to what I'm saying?"

Eerie music comes from the TV as a six-foot-tall bunny brandishes a chainsaw.

Speaking of Voldy and Malf, here they are on their way to school. Here's Voldy...

"The name is Voldemort."

And here is Malf.

At work, it didn't take Eris long to pick up the teen-aged perpetrator who had eluded the police for several days. She took her into the interrogation room.

"Miss Mayles, numerous witnesses have said you were in the Pan Europa on the night in question. Were you aware that admission to the nightclub was for adults only?"

"Yeah, well, I'm not the first teen who's sneaked into the place. Can I go home now?"

Eris continued. "This is a picture of the crime scene. And I have to tell you – aside from the bartender's, your fingerprints were the only ones found on the glass that was next to the deceased."

Maren Mayles recoiled in shock. "The d-d-deceased?"

She began to cry. "I went upstairs to use the ladies' room. He followed me and-and-and propositioned me, so I threw my root beer float in his face and he fell backwards. But I never m-meant to k-k-kill him."

Eris waited for her to finish crying. "My advice to you, young lady, is to get a lawyer. And my second piece of advice is to stay away from nightclubs until you're old enough to go there legally."

She looked back at the girl after she locked her in. How well she remembered the bed, the toilet, and the uglifying mirror. "There, but for the grace of the Watcher go I," she thought.

Interrogations always made Eris hungry so she picked up a meal before reporting to the Chief.

"Make yourself at home, why don't you," said the Chief.

"Thanks, ma'am, I will," said Eris.

"I was being sarcastic and don't call me ma'am."

"I just thought you'd like to know that the Mayles girl confessed. However, Forensics did find traces of dioxy-methilatonine 12 on the deceased's clothing, which bears out her story."

"What's that when it's at home?"

"Root beer float," said Eris.

"So basically a heroic minor was fending off the amorous advances of a dirty old man when he just happened to die. The jury's probably going to give her a commendation."

"Yes, ma'am, I mean, Chief."

"Take your plate with you when you go, Zargon."

Meanwhile, at home, Voldemort was explaining things to Malf. "See, besides playing chess with me so that I can complete my aspiration, you're going to be my wingman when we get older."

"Wingman?"

"You're going to distract the not-so-good-looking friend while I chat up the hottie."

"What's a hottie?"

From downstairs:  "You guys doing your homework? Your mom's going to be home soon."

"We're just getting focused, Dad."

Once Braylon became a child, getting the twins to accept him was a challenge. There was only room for two at the counter, so they ate there and made him eat somewhere else. And there was only room for two on the loveseat in front of the TV.

Eris made sure that Braylon was included during story hour.

She and Coleman also bought a larger couch and added a dining room on to the house.

A few days later, Eris had a new crime scene to visit – the Willow Creek library.

"I opened up the library this morning and all the computers had vanished," Ruby Doe reported. "It was such a shock, my hair turned white."

"Yes, I can see. Have there been any suspicious characters hanging around?"

"Well, we had a bunch of people in here a few weeks ago, reading and spending hours on the computers writing – they said they were trying to become well-read writers. And then recently, there have been a lot of clubs meeting here – some gamers and a group called the Page Turners."

Another witness chimed in: "There was one guy with both groups. They called him the Metroman, and a couple of people called him Boss."

"Sounds like he was the leader of a gang," commented Eris. "He's probably the one who lifted them."

"You mean, made the computers levitate?" said Ruby Doe.

"No, stole them," said Eris.

One good thing about being a Zargon was that she didn't have to waste any time chatting with suspects and getting to know them. A quick personality analysis was all that Eris needed.

It made the perp angry, but when you were arresting someone, it wasn't like you'd become best friends anyway.

And a mugshot wasn't quite the same as a selfie.

"Just because you've been promoted doesn't mean you've got privileges, Zargon."

"No ma'am, I mean, Chief. Anyway, we found the computers at Metroman's home. He claims he was just practicing and that he intended to bring the computers back, but the library had been locked up and he couldn't get in."

"A likely story. I hope you threw the book at him."

"Yes, Chief.  One computer would only be a misdemeanor, but when you add up the value of four, you're talking felony."

"Excellent. I guess that promotion was well-deserved."

"Thanks, Chief."

"Take your plate with you when you go."

On Saturday, Voldemort set off to meet the little red-haired girl he'd seen at school. Her name was Lyrica Oirat. He took Malf along as wingman, to talk to her mother while he got to know Lyrica better.

"Hi, Voldy," she said.

"The name's Voldemort." He scowled, and added, "Or sometimes people call me 'You-know-who.'"

"That sounds silly," said Lyrica. "Am I supposed to say, 'How do you do, You-know-who?' It sounds like you don't know who you are."

Voldemort didn't know how to respond to that so he suggested they meet for chess after lunch. Once he'd won a few chess games, he was sure Lyrica would treat him with more respect.

"Look out, behind you!" Lyrica shouted. Voldemort turned, but there was nothing there.

"I thought I saw a six-foot-tall bunny," said Lyrica. A few moves later she triumphantly announced "Meck-chate!"

"That's funny," said Voldemort. "I could have sworn I had the queen's path blocked." Belatedly, he remembered Malf saying the exact same thing a few nights ago, when Voldemort had pulled the same trick and removed an inconvenient pawn.

"You're not going to fool me again," said Voldemort. "Another game?"

They played a second game, and Lyrica won again. Without cheating. Voldemort was just going to have to find a different way to teach her respect.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- April 14)
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
Eris makes an awesome detective!
And I loved Voldemort's explanation to Malf about the role of a wingman--he really nailed that definition!  :)

Why was the mailbox inside the house instead outside?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- April 14)
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »
Eris makes an awesome detective!
And I loved Voldemort's explanation to Malf about the role of a wingman--he really nailed that definition!  :)

Why was the mailbox inside the house instead outside?

Actually, that's not the mailbox -- that's the alien bassinet. It just looks a lot like the alien mailbox (which the Zargons have).

Offline Makenziegma

• Townie
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- April 15)
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
I really like how you set up your family pages at the beginning gives a quick synopsis of the challenge progression. I don't want to plagiarize so I am wondering if I can set up something similar? Or is it plagiarizing even if I ask first? Thank you!!!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
I really like how you set up your family pages at the beginning gives a quick synopsis of the challenge progression. I don't want to plagiarize so I am wondering if I can set up something similar? Or is it plagiarizing even if I ask first? Thank you!!!

Sure, go ahead and use them. A lot of writers on the forum use a similar system. I think Metropolis Man might have been the first, or maybe Pam.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »
Baird, Week 14

Dear Diary,

My name is Sharon Baird, and I'm the 4th generation in our dynasty. We all have flower names – my name Sharon is short for "Rose of Sharon." After I completed my requirement to finish a childhood aspiration (mine was Social Butterfly), I took up the Artistic Prodigy aspiration. I like pictures, so I've decided to illustrate my journal. This is me as a child, making my first drawing (or maybe second).

My grandparents and great-grandparents were invited to my birthday, but for some reason they all stayed outside. I was alone when I blew out my candles. It wouldn't have made much difference, as I couldn't see anything without my glasses. Mom and Aunt Cassandra are near-sighted, and Dad had to wear glasses as a kid.

I liked the dress I was given, but I decided to braid my hair rather than wear it loose. I wish I could lose some weight. Grandmother Azalea told me to concentrate on my requirements for now and take up jogging and yoga later. I do have a lot to accomplish – I have to become an expert at comedy and writing; I have to finish the Friend of the World aspiration, which means also becoming very charismatic, and I have to help out in the store. Oh, and I also have to get an A at school and reach the top of a part-time job. Whew!

In the meantime, Mom has been working on getting promoted as an athlete. She uses yoga to get energized before going to work. Aunt Cassandra doesn't have a job. She makes some money from tips for her violin-playing; she also paints. She's going to do my portrait soon. (And I forgot one of my requirements – to put together a collection. But that's going to be of comedy books, so I have to get my skills up a bit first.) Dad's a writer. He just finished his aspiration to be a Best-selling Author, so he's going to write a Book of Life for me and Mom and Aunt Cassandra. He says that will help us a lot with running the store.

I took a job in retail. They wouldn't let me wear glasses at work, which made things interesting. Actually not being able to see much in a distance kept me focused on my department. I was able to help one customer pick the right brand, which turned out to be the cheaper one. She was so impressed that she praised me to the manager. I was afraid he might be cross because it was cheaper, but he said happy customers were worth the few extra bucks.

Although I can pick up some skill in comedy just by telling jokes to people, I've started practicing with the microphone, trying to get used to it for when I later get a job as a comedian. (One thing I've learned is not to let the audience see my profile – I've got to do something about that ginormous derriere.)

Something that's supposed to make people laugh is hitting your head with the microphone. I hope I'll have good enough material not to need that – I want to have a few working brain cells left when I become an elder.

Dad has started mentoring me in my other skill – writing. I'm grateful for his help, but it's distracting to have him read over my shoulder while I'm trying to tell a story. (This diary is off-limits to him.)

As soon as I got an A at school, our store, Figures of Fun, pretty much became my home away from home. We have a bathroom there, and it even includes a bathtub in case Mom needs a bath after exercising or something. Anyway, this guy, one of our customers, disappears in there and then comes out wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around his middle. At least, I assume it was nothing but a towel. Too funny – maybe I can get a comedy routine out of it?

My experience as a sales clerk really helps in the store. At first, Mom just wanted me to answer questions and schmooze with the customers, but when she discovered I knew how to use a tablet, she put me to work at ringing people up.

And not long after that, she let me do re-stocking as well. We've got the Serious Shopper perk now, but I'll be really glad when we get Faster Re-stocking, as the task is really boring.

On Saturday we closed down for a couple of hours, mainly so Dad could go home and get a rest. Although Mom and Aunt Cassandra and I can get a boost from the Books of Life that he wrote for us, he wasn't able to write one for himself. Mom took me over to the Bairds' first store, the one that my great-grandmother Dahlia started. It turned out that my other grandmother, Dad's mother Bella, works there. I wish I'd inherited her looks because she's gorgeous.

After that, we stopped at the Willow Creek community garden, and Mom gave a bunch of growfruit to a lady there. Mom says we might not need to have someone do gardening, but you never know. We're slightly ahead of the Zargons, but if I and my child and grandchild make good time, we might beat them outright.

That's it for now, but I'll be back next week, if I have time. Cheers, Sharon

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Newcomers in Newcrest (new -- April 18)
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »
Sharon has grown up so fast! She's lovely!
Again, Alex looks so nice in your dynasty (as in, without the mohawk). There's a guy in a towel in your store! *giggles

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
Another witness chimed in: "There was one guy with both groups. They called him the Metroman, and a couple of people called him Boss."

"Sounds like he was the leader of a gang," commented Eris. "He's probably the one who lifted them."

*Glares at Marian and then bursts out laughing*

Too funny.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
Soooo, as I suspected there is something sinister about that "Metro Man".  Who would have thought he was the boss of a nefarious gang?  Lol.  Love how this is working out. Sharon is doing so well and you are moving right along with this whole thing.  Did you choose retail work for her as a teen because it would help with working and owning her own store?  If so, how does it help?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery