Author Topic: New install and mods won't work *Fixed!!*  (Read 27198 times)

Offline beardeux

• Occult
New install and mods won't work *Fixed!!*
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:11:50 AM »
Hello everyone.  It's been a while.  I had to do an uninstall/install of the entire game.  I have hard disks of the game.  It all went well until I tried to put my mods in.  My game is updated to 1.67.  I've downloaded Twallens Mods, several of them.  The patch levels are 1.67 / 1.63-1.69 / 1.69.  They are Winrar files.  I'm not even sure they are extracting properly.  The file folder has a .package file but the little icon is blank.  Should it be blank?  And when I put them in the game Mods/Packages folder, the launcher is not detecting them.  I have started a test town but so far I simply cannot get these mods to work.

I'm truly hoping someone can help me out.  Thanks in advance.

*Solution*

Success!!!  I googled "sims 3 enable mods" and found this link   http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

There is a ready-made "FrameworkSetup.zip and instructions.  It provided me with the creation of the Mod folder containing the Resource.cfg, Override and Packages folders.  Then I copied my mods into the packages and voila!

I started my game, the popup of mods is listed and I'm off to the races.  The Nraas options are there and all is good.  If you'd like to add this info to your help page, please feel free to do so.  Hopefully it will help someone else.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Nice things come in small packages.
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: New install and mods won't work
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »
Yes, it's fine that the icons are blank. They're blank in our Mods folder. Also the launcher doesn't detect the mods. There used to be a popup message that stated what mods you had installed, but we don't get that anymore and haven't for awhile.

If you're wondering how to see if the mods are working Click on City Hall or your Sim to see if you get an Nraas option.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:56:22 AM »
@beardeux

I was just thinking, you didn't mention anything about creating a Packages folder and unzipping the mod files into it. Did you do that?

Here's the path to my Packages folder where all my mods are.
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:01 AM »
Hi MrsFlynn, it's good to hear from you.  I hope all is well.  Thanks for responding so quickly.
I did mention the Mods/Packages folder.  I unzipped them in the downloads folder I keep for the mods, and copied them into the packages folder.  This is how I've always done it in the past.
I did check on city hall as you suggested and on a couple objects.  I have no Nraas options.  Any other ideas?
You are also right about the launcher not showing the mods.  I did always get that popup until now.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:24:45 AM »
My mind is totally blanking on what else to suggest. Other that to make sure you've got the right version for your patch level? As some of the mods may have been updated to the new Origin patch.

I'm still at patch level 1.67/disc version and am able to see MasterController/Overwatch/Register/Traffic

There are some Nraas mods that you won't be able to see working, for example: Anti-MagicScroll which allows you to keep the cooking books.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 01:39:47 AM »
I am also using disk version and I am using the first 4 mods you mentioned first plus a couple others.  Only one mod that I currently downloaded was at 1.67 and one at 1.69.  The rest were 1.63-1.69.  So I don't know if that's the problem.  These are mods I just downloaded a couple days ago.  I did so because the mods I had from before didn't work.
  I also found a forum post about the Resource.cfg file.  So I tried both the one I was using before plus someone had posted the file contents and how to save and use it.  So I tried that.  Neither work.  I'm stumped.
  The files are currently sitting in my Game folder (apparently useless). 
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:56:38 AM »
If you're using the full disc version, you should probably be only downloading mods that are compatible with patch level 1.67.

If you're trying to use mods that are just patch level 1.69 that may make them not work due to having an incompatible mod.

All the Nraas mods we have are patch level 1.67-1.69. But not 1.69 patch level by itself.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 02:04:15 AM »
Here is a list of what I currently have

ErrorTrap - 1.67
DebugEnabler - 1.55-1.69 (this is the one I thought was 1.69)

the following are all 1.63-1.69
GoHere / MasterController (MC Cheats) / OverWatch / Register/StoryProgression / Traffic
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »
This is a link to the resource cfg file I'm using. Though I noticed it didn't seem to really do anything different than my original one.

You will need to download the Resource cfg file. Right click Save As, into the Mods folder. Extract the newly installed file, to activate it. You will need to move the newly extracted cfg file, out of the Resource folder, to the Mods one. If you get an error, remove the old resource file, then change the folder to another name. Copy the cfg file, and paste it onto the Mods folder. Remove renamed folder (formally Resource) from that same Mods folder.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 02:15:37 AM »
Odd-ball question, have you tried installing just couple-few mods at a time to see if that helps see that they install correctly? As I've been hearing Error trap not behaving itself lately.

For example just install MC and Cheats, OverWatch, Register and Traffic. Pop in-game to see if you get anything to see if they work. These should be found by clicking on City Hall  and Selecting Nraas

Then install StoryProgression, GoHear and DebugEnabler. Check these in game. I haven't used these so I don't know if these can be seen at City Hall.

Then last install ErrorTrap.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 02:23:43 AM »
Yes, yesterday I tried to install just one.  No go.  I also tried with 3. 

I have downloaded the cfg. file but it isn't a zipped file.  It can't be extracted.  It's the same resource file I already have.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 02:29:07 AM »
Ah okay. You may have better luck at getting the mods to work if you post about the problem on Nraas's site?

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox

I'm not sure what to do other than that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am totally stumped as to why they aren't working.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:31:09 AM »
Well I thank you so much for trying to help.  I will try the Nraas site.  I really appreciate your time.  It's good to be in touch with you.  Take care and I'll see more of you I'm sure.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »
@beardeux

Yep, I'm happy to help try to troubleshoot. :) Let me know what you find out as I'm really curious to know why it's not working for you.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 03:24:20 AM »
Success!!!  I googled "sims 3 enable mods" and found this link:
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

There is a ready-made "FrameworkSetup.zip and instructions.  It provided me with the creation of the Mod folder containing the Resource.cfg, Override and Packages folders.  Then I copied my mods into the packages and voila!

I started my game, the popup of mods is listed and I'm off to the races.  The Nraas options are there and all is good.  If you'd like to add this info to your help page, please feel free to do so.  Hopefully it will help someone else.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

anything