Author Topic: Member Information - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)  (Read 210617 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Member Information - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Updated: June. 2022 - Edited By: Staff

You can find answers to these questions around the forum. But wanted to make a list for all members to learn or refresh themselves on how to use forum features. Please see the quick links below for the index of questions.

If you have any forum related questions feel free to post in this thread.

If you experience any problems with the forum or site, or have questions please feel free to contact Carl by email or any of his social media sites:

Email: [email protected]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarlsSimGuides
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carlssimguides/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CarlsTheSimsGuides
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/carlssims4guide
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carlssims4/

You may want to share your IP Address and/or error message given if any.

Thank you!! :)

Quick Links:

✽ - Can We Donate to Get Rid of Ads?
 ✽ - Does Carl Have a Discord Server for His Sites/Channel?
 ✽ - How Do I Edit My Profile/Account Settings?
 ✽ - How do I change my password on this forum?
 ✽ - How do I cancel my membership/delete account
 ✽ - Where do I post an Introduction?
 ✽ - Where to post new topic?
 ✽ - Error When Posting: Message body was left empty.
 ✽ - Where Can Start a Sim Story?
 ✽ - Where did my post go and why was it moved?!
 ✽ - Where Do I Post Forum Related Questions?
 ✽ - Sharing Photos on the Forum
 ✽ - How To: Create Links on the Forum and with text.
 ✽ - Sharing YT Channel or Website/Blog Links?
 ✽ - Share My Own Challenges or Projects?
 ✽ - Can I Become a Moderator or part of the staff?
 ✽ - How Many Posts Do X Rank Require
 ✽ - Can I Use Mention/Tag System Here?
 ✽ - Is There a Way to Search The Sims 4 Forums/Discussions?
 ✽ - How Does This Forum Work? - A List of HowTos for Nooboos
 ✽ - Carl and Pam's The Sims Community - Forum Index

Can We Donate to Get Rid of Ads?

Question: If I donate to the site, will that get rid of ads for me?

Answer: To get rid of ads, all that needs to be done is to register on the forum. However, this will only get rid of ads for the forum.

The guide is a different part of the site. The ads cannot be disabled by donation, unfortunately. It is not set up to be done that way. Ads are placed to help support Carl's Guides.

How Do I Edit My Profile/Account Settings?

Go to the Home Menu - as seen in the photo below: (This is the menu that's a little under your username on the top left of the screen.)

Click image to see larger view:

Click the word Profile and select Forum Profile to edit your profile, add an an avatar or signature. Select Account Settings, if you need to change your email address.

Please pm MrsFlynn or Carl to change your username (the name you login with) and/or displayed name (the name shown in your profile) in Account Settings.

----

New members need to have 5 posts before they can edited their profile, this is to help curb spamming. The Profile option will not show up until a new member has 5 posts.

If you need help editing your profile/account settings, please pm MrsFlynn or Carl.

Please see link below to learn how to PM someone
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,23920.msg415423.html#msg415423

How To Change "Local Time"
Go to Profile > Look and Layout > Time Offset. Set it to -3 hours to change to PST, for example.

Read Posts From Newest to Oldest?
Go to Profile and mouse over the word Forum Profile and select Look and Layout. Look for Show most recent posts at the top and checkmark it.

Where Do I Post an Introduction?

If you'd like to post an introduction, go here to do so.
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=28.0.html

Sharing Photos on the Forum

There's a couple of ways you can share your photos on the forum.

1. You can attach and insert the photos in .jpg format directly to a post, via the attachment system. - Click here to learn more.

2. Upload the photos, in .jpg format to you choice of photo sharing sites and share the photo links. - Click here to learn more.

Screenshots: Only Use JPEG Format [PNG Format Vs. JPG Format]
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29606.msg476855#msg476855

Just to note - Photos cannot be attached to private messages (pms). Our forum software (Simple Machines Forums) does not support this feature. -- See link here, for an alternative solution.

Where Do I Post Forum Related Questions?

You can either post them in this specific thread or on our Member Zone Board.

Member Zone Board
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/board,84.0.html

If you want to post off-topic - topics not Sims related, you can post them on the Babble Board.

Babble Board - Our Off-Topic Board
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

Sharing My Own Challenges or Projects?

You may share your own player-made challenge rules. If you would like your ruleset added to the list, please submit a PM to MrsFlynn. The purpose of the list is to make it easy for players to find challenges submitted by members.

When submitting a challenge or project, be sure to write out all the rules as as clearly as possible for other players who may wish to attempt to play under those rules.

You can find the Player Made Challenges List and Rulesets for the Sims 4 here:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26304.msg439232#msg439232

Can I Become a Moderator or Part of the Staff?

Anyone of any rank could become part of our staff, however a Watcher is a more likely candidate due to being around the forum for a long period of time.

If we feel like the forum needs more staff, we'll choose someone who we feel would be a good candidate. Those who contributes frequently and follows the rules are good candidates.

How Many Posts Do X Rank Require
How many Posts do X rank require, along with "star" (gold square) counts:

Rank      Post Count   "Stars"
NPC              0      1
Nooboo      5      1
Llama Wrangler   25      2
Townie      100      3
Occult      250      4
Immortal      500      5
Watcher      1000      6

Gold boxes are for Members, Blue boxes designate Global Moderators, and Red Administrators.

Can I Use Mention/Tag System Here?

Yes, a mention/tag system has been added to the forum.

Please see the post linked below to learn how to use it and other information on this feature:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=23920.msg415587#msg415587

Is There a Way to Search The Sims 4 Forums/Discussions?

Yes, however, it's been suggested to use Google or other search engine to get better results.

Please see the link below for more details:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,22202.msg397100.html#msg397100

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Question - Bookmark Organization?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
I was wondering if there was away to organize my bookmarks in the forum? Like say the more important ones go towards the top of the list, and the others go below?

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Question - Bookmark Organization?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:58:28 PM »
I was wondering if there was away to organize my bookmarks in the forum? Like say the more important ones go towards the top of the list, and the others go below?

MrsFlynn

I don't think we can do that.  As far as I can tell, the bookmarks sort themselves in order of the most recent post, just like the boards do.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline smartburn

• Occult
Re: Question - Bookmark Organization?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »

MrsFlynn

Ha, I didn't even know this feature existed! I think I'll be using this one frequently, I had been clicking "Show unread posts" to get around on the site.

*bookmarks thread*

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Question - Personal Message
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
Do PMs take up a whole lot of webspace, like they do regular email?  If so, it's probably a good idea to clean out your In-Box and Sent Items folders every now and again.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Re: New Member Info
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:55 AM »
Do PMs take up a whole lot of webspace, like they do regular email?  If so, it's probably a good idea to clean out your In-Box and Sent Items folders every now and again.

MrsFlynn

I don't think they take up any significant space, but I'll ask Carl to come by and explain.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
PMs are mainly simple text so no, they only take up significant space in large number. Considering that I have a year's worth of PMs in my inbox, I must have given up caring during one of those server upgrades. Space isn't as big a concern as it once was. Once upon a time i only backed up to my own hard drive and was terrified of too big an upload to the server. I'm all grown up now :))

Now, pictures on the gallery..those take up space, but people shouldn't go about deleting them as they would be clearing images from their own topics, obviously. So, we try to ask people to be responsible and upload pictures there that they will actually use on the forum.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
Will we get informed if we have too many? I try my best to clean up shots I don't use after I post but sometimes I am guilty of being a pack rat.  :-[

In fact I have an old Dynasty attempt of screenshots I have no need to keep now that I think about it.

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »
Hi, I am new to the forum. Just after registering, when i click the profile it only said 'delete account'. So I thought it must be a problem in activation. But now I know why I can't edit my profile. Thanks for the information.
Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline doxxielover

• Immortal
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before. But what is a guest. How are they posting without an account. Sorry I was just wondering. It usually says guest under there name. Thanks :)
I love this forum and just want to say thank you to everyone! :) Have a great rest of your day!

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before. But what is a guest. How are they posting without an account. Sorry I was just wondering. It usually says guest under there name. Thanks :)

Guests are former members that have closed their account (or in some cases had their account closed by admin) Their posts would have been made while they were an active member.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline doxxielover

• Immortal
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
Ok. Thanks :)
I love this forum and just want to say thank you to everyone! :) Have a great rest of your day!

Offline Ganja

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »
Can Watchers become Global Moderators? If yes, how?
Thanks!

Ganja
When Einstein's students took exams, one student asked him: "But you're asking the same questions from the last term." Einstein: "That's right. Only the answers are different this time.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
Can Watchers become Global Moderators? If yes, how?
Thanks!

Ganja

Anyone of any rank could become a Global Moderator, however a Watcher is a more likely candidate due to being around the forum for a long period of time. If Carl and Pam feel like the forum needs more Moderators they will choose a member who they feel will make a good moderator, who contributes to the forum and follows all forum rules.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Re: New Member Info, Ranks, and Profiles
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:47:10 AM »
I'm moving this to the Announcements and Rules board.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

anything