Author Topic: Sims 3 - Can't access files?  (Read 7174 times)

Offline redmare

• Townie
Sims 3 - Can't access files?
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
I found that some of my most recent save games aren't accessible. It doesn't show the family picture, just the name, and when I click on it it says that it's not available because some content has been uninstalled. What's going on?
Please take a look at my story, the Thousand House!
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,15796.0.html

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Can't access files?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »
Hi, Redmare.

Can you tell us what the error message was and also if you have recently uninstalled any of your expansion or stuff packs? Thanks. :)

Edit: Ran into something similar while testing.I created a new Sims 3 folder and moved in a saved game from one of my store towns. The saved game was greyed out similar to how you described, and the error said "Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system." Check and make sure the world your game takes place in is installed. You may also see this if it takes place in Appaloosa Plains and you uninstalled Pets (for example).

Hope this helps, and happy Simming!

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline redmare

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:41:37 AM »
I haven't purposefully uninstalled anything, and the greyed-out games were from different worlds. I think the problem may be because I hadn't installed the new patch yet. I'll wait and see.

Offline redmare

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
No, it's still not working. I'm not sure what to do.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
Hi Redmare,

I did some searching on the problem and found a link in the forum that might ?? be helpful.

Re: Can't Open Save Files--RESOLVED!
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,14946.msg291915.html#msg291915

Ombradellarosa Posted:
from EA Phone service Tech Support. They told me to start a new administrator account because sometimes the entire pathing of the game gets messed up in one account and a new account is the only option. It worked! Hurray! ;D The Launcher is fixed and I can open my save files!

Have you already tried this?

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline redmare

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
How would I make a new account?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
I had to do a bit of digging, but I found this How-To from Wikihow that explains it better than I can.

How to Create a New User Account in Windows Vista and 7
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-New-User-Account-in-Windows-Vista-and-7

Follow steps 1-7. You don't need to worry about the rest as all you need to do is create an administrator.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Can't access files? (Possible Solution) - For missing meta.data file
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
I wanted to give an update just in case someone else runs into this problem and is searching for solutions.

Click the spoiler tag for troubleshooting notes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Possible Solution

1. Look in your saved game folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves > (Your Saved Game folder) 

2. Open your saved game that your trying to play. Is the meta.data file there? (Trying to compare working save games to games you can't access)

If not, either copy the meta.data file from an existing save or start a new game, go into Edit Town and Save and quit the game, then copy the meta.data file from the new game.

Note: Adding a new meta.data file may change your loading screen. But you can fix that once the game is loaded by saving the game.

3. Paste the meta.data file into the game that is missing it. Then try accessing your previously saved game.

4. If you can play it, play the game for a few minutes and then use the Save As option, give it a new name. Then save and quit.

=====
When Flynn and I tried this - replaced the meta.data file in the current game. Loaded the game to find, Saved game photo was there!! Moused over where the saved game is in the main menu and It's playable!!

MrsFlynn

Offline redmare

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Can I just say, that you so very much for being patient with me through this? I tried what you suggested, and tada, it works again! Thank you so very much!

Offline CalenteDama

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Hello I am having the same problem I checked the files but the meta is still there, should I overwrite it with a new one?

All my games are giving me this error.. I have 6.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:55:44 AM »
Hi CalenteDama,

Yes, if you haven't tried replacing/overwriting the meta.data file. Go ahead and try that with at least one of your saved games to test it first.

-- Start a new game, go into Edit Town and Save and quit the game, then copy the meta.data file from the new game.

If you find that it works, then go ahead and copy the file into your other saved games.

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn

anything