Author Topic: [BUG?] Can't take screenshots with C key  (Read 6055 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
[BUG?] Can't take screenshots with C key
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:13:13 AM »
I'm not sure if my problem qualifies as a gameplay issue or a technical issue, but....

After playing for two hours and taking screenshots using the C key, pressing the C key suddenly has no effect at all.
I can still, for example, use the A and D keys to scroll sideways, but the C key is dead.
The same thing happened to me after several hours of gameplay last night as well.
I know I could still take shots using the center bottom camera icon, but I usually press Tab before arranging screenshots, so the camera icon method is not desirable.

Would anyone know what might be causing this problem?
I tried a search at EA Answers HQ and a general Google search yesterday, but found no solutions.

Edited to add: Since my C key worked fine when I started my game today, I tried restarting my game just now and the C key is working again.
                        So I guess one workaround for this would be to save and restart whenever the C key stops working, maybe.

Edited: Feb.2018

It sounds as though this might (?) be a bug. If you're experiencing something similar, it maybe a good idea to post about it in the thread linked below and click the Me Too button under the 1st post.

Letter keyboard shortcuts (e.g. J for Job) stop working after a while.
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/Letter-keyboard-shortcuts-e-g-J-for-Job-stop-working-after-a/m-p/5313566#U5313566

----------
** Suggested Things to Try:

1. If you've recently tested your mods and custom content to make sure they're up to date with the latest game patch, you may need to clear your game cache and delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help with troubleshooting.

How to Fix Problems with Mods/CC
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=25031.msg426156#msg426156

2. Deactivate Origin in Game -- Open Origin, Select Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game tab and click the on/off switch to disable Origin In Game. - This deactivates Origin In-Game, as it has been known to cause problems with games.

3. Repair Game:
In Origin > Games Library, right-click on Sims 4 and select Repair. - Do note this repairs the game's install files for the actual game. It does not make any changes to the saved game files. Meaning that your saved games are safe, they won't be deleted. If you'd like you can copy the Sims 4 folder to a USB key.

4. In-game, use the Camera Options in the UI. (bottom center of the screen) - See image here

5. In-game, switch from live mode to build/buy mode and back. - Press F1 key for Live mode or the F2 key for Build/Buy mode

6. In-game, press the Esc key or the Enter key, or M key to travel somewhere has been reported to help.

7. Quit fully out of game, and restart the computer then get back into game.

8. It has been reported that screen capture/recorders, instant messengers/video chat or VOIP programs, like Discord may cause issues with Sims 4 and may need to be turned off or uninstalled if issues are severe. Also turn off any overlay those programs may cause issues as well. This is to be sure the program and it's overlay isn't interfering with the game.

If you have similar programs as these above, they may cause issues with Sims 4 and may need to be turned off or uninstalled if issues are severe.

If you do not know how to use these programs listed above, go to their websites to get more information. That is the best place to get help.

9. Disable Game DVR and Game Bar. These are known to cause issues with some games.

How to Disable Windows 10’s Game DVR and Game Bar
https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to-disable-windows-10s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

** If these tips do not work, report the issue to Answers HQ - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Can't take screenshots with C key
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:23:14 AM »
Hey oshizu ^^

Hm, seems like it might be a sign of playing a long time. I've had that happen too. Do you regularly delete caches?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:44:24 AM »
@Shewolf13 and @PaisleyByrd
Thank you for your responses.  I don't think playing too long is the issue. In both cases, I'd only played for a couple of hours (weekday nights).
On the previous weekend, I'd played an embarrassingly loooong time each day without any problems with the C key.

Yes, I regularly clear cache files but I haven't deleted the Origin cache files lately.
Saving/restarting my game aren't that much of a hassle but this only started happening this past week.
Maybe the computer just doesn't like my screenshots...  :(

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:38 AM »
@oshizu
Hm... odd then.  I know if I spend a few hours at a time, it'll do that.  Or it could be that I have played a few times without deleting caches... hm, I've tried searching this issue and can't seem to find anything on it.  Then again... my google-foo is dismal at times XD The only other thing I can suggest is just to make sure all your options are clicked for screenshots.

Oh!  Just had another thought... I only bring it up cause I do this constantly XD I accidentally hit the V key, which takes videos.  Check and see if you have any videos in the videos folder that you didn't mean to take.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else aside from restarting or trying repair game once or twice to see if that helps.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: [BUG?] Can't take screenshots with C key
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:42:04 PM »
This happened to me. I had to clear caches and restart my game.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.