Author Topic: Photobucket is Changing  (Read 8325 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Photobucket Support / FAQs
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
Photobucket Support / FAQs
http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us
https://twitter.com/photobucket

What is 3rd party hosting? (Link here)

Photobucket defines 3rd party hosting as the action of embedding an image or photo onto another website.

- Basically, being able to share/link photos to forums and websites.

What plans offer 3rd Party Hosting? (Link here)

It's the Plus 500 plan ($400. yearly) only that allows for linking photos to forums and websites. - Aka the only plan that supports what Photobucket calls 3rd party hosting.

What do I get with the Plus 500 Plan? (Link here)

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking, Unlimited Bandwidth, and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting.

What is linking? (Link here)

According to Photobucket they define it as use of an image link from your account. More specifically, the action of sharing or posting only the link (not image) to a forum or website that redirects back to Photobucket when clicked.

An example of linking is sharing a link to a photo with your friends to view on Photobucket. to your image with friends to view on Photobucket.

Are my pictures still safe? (Link Here) - See #4

Yes! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket Account. Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos on 3rd party sites.

Can I download my Photos? (Link Here) - See #5

Absolutely, at any time. It is an easy four step process:

Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account

Step 2. Navigate to your library page

Step 3. View a photo and click the download button

Step 4. The picture will be saved to your computer
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Photobucket is Changing
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »
I've been gradually moving my screenshots out of Photobucket and into Google Drive. I go chapter by chapter, backwards. Here's my method, if anyone's interested:

1. View screenshots in Photobucket on slideshow setting.
2. Move screenshot to desktop.
3. When I have a whole chapter's worth, I close Photobucket and open up my story.
4. Going by the story, I rename each photo, e.g. 5801, 5802, etc.
5. Then I go to Modify the post.
6. I erase each link and then use the attachment feature to add my renamed photos.
7. Make a folder with the chapter name and move the folder to Google Drive.
8. Erase screenshots from Photobucket.

It takes me about 45 minutes to do a full 25-screenshot chapter.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
Oh wow, this is very upsetting. I was checking here today and all of my Singh screenshots are gone. I would reupload to another site, but there's maybe 800+ pictures on that thread and honestly, I don't know if I'm mentally capable of converting everything (especially when it takes 45 minutes per 25 screenshots). Don't get me started on the $400 fee either.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to reupload periodically or just pay the fee..I don't want to do either of those.

However, I really do appreciate people offering solutions, it just goes to show how supportive this forum is.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
@Beezy I feel your pain.  I too am in this situation.  I simply cannot afford the US$400 fee which is about A$500.  So I've used the forum's own image attachment system to redo the images for my current story.  And yes it did take about 30-45 minutes per chapter.  I don't have the health or heart to try to redo my other stories just yet.  The task is just too daunting.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
I'm slowly moving my photo's from Colt completed story over to my external hard drive and then using the "attach" method here to reload my pics for his story. That is a side project in its self.  :-\

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »
@Magz from Oz I agree, the task is very intimidating and just plain discouraging. I don't have the money either..I honestly can't imagine paying over $1k every three years in order to keep my pictures up.

I've begun the process of converting everything and just successfully fixed the first chapter of my story that was affected by Photobucket's new policy. Like everyone else, it took me around 40–45 minutes to complete (however most of it was the learning curve/experimenting & Photobucket lagging). I used Imgur instead of attachments because the forum finds my screenshots saved onto my desktop "Invalid Attachments" (I think it's more of an issue with my computer). Luckily, it was still very easy to convert everything through Imgur, but it is a tedious process.

Here's my personal method I did in case anyone's curious:

1) Go to Photobucket's website
2) Find the photos you need, and download them (there's a download button above each photo when you click on it).
3) Like everyone else did, rename the screenshots to match the order they appear in the chapter (Riverview1, Riverview2, etc.).
4) Create a Folder for Screenshots on your desktop and place your screenshots in it.
5) Go to Imgur.com
6) From here I simply followed MrsFlynn's instructions in regards to using Imgur – Click here
7) After the images have been uploaded, I click the modify button on the post containing the chapter I want to fix and replace all of the Photobucket links with the BBC Code Imgur links.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
Just curious: I noticed that the new terms mentioned something about "Legacy Accounts", but it doesn't say anything about how the term applies. As far as I know, I haven't paid $500, but I haven't seen my pictures turned off yet. Is it possible that older accounts might be grandfathered in? Just wondering. I am apprehensive about all the pictures disappearing. If they do, I won't be back. P-Bucket is an absolute mess, right now. When you log in, you are completely bombarded with ads, from all directions.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Just curious: I noticed that the new terms mentioned something about "Legacy Accounts", but it doesn't say anything about how the term applies. As far as I know, I haven't paid $500, but I haven't seen my pictures turned off yet. Is it possible that older accounts might be grandfathered in? Just wondering. I am apprehensive about all the pictures disappearing. If they do, I won't be back. P-Bucket is an absolute mess, right now. When you log in, you are completely bombarded with ads, from all directions.

If you have a current account (i.e., are paying money), your screenshots will continue to be linked until your account is due for renewal. I don't think the pictures disappear from Photobucket in any event; they'll just disappear from your stories. And yes, I agree about the ads. My personal opinion is that Photobucket has shot itself in the foot, but that's just my take.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »

If you have a current account (i.e., are paying money), your screenshots will continue to be linked until your account is due for renewal. I don't think the pictures disappear from Photobucket in any event; they'll just disappear from your stories. And yes, I agree about the ads. My personal opinion is that Photobucket has shot itself in the foot, but that's just my take.

Totally agree MarianT.  The new owners of Photobucket must be crazy to come up with such an extortionist strategy.  People and businesses might pay that ransom once (because it happened so suddenly and with no grandfather clause) while they move their business elsewhere.  When I think of all the times I recommended Photobucket to others, I feel sick.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
I wish you guys didn't have to deal with what Photobucket has done.  I use imgur, but so many of you have been affected.  I feel really sad that you're all having to deal with this :'(.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
Thank you so much to those of you who have posted your methods of changing over your links. It's rather a daunting task for sure.  :-\
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »
The ads and lagging on Photobucket's website are so annoying.

I know Photobucket said that they were not deleting pictures, but I've noticed that three of my photos were missing from my account as I was fixing my story. I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. Is this a glitch? Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

Totally agree MarianT.  The new owners of Photobucket must be crazy to come up with such an extortionist strategy.  People and businesses might pay that ransom once (because it happened so suddenly and with no grandfather clause) while they move their business elsewhere.  When I think of all the times I recommended Photobucket to others, I feel sick.

Same here. What upsets me the most about their new "policy" is that it hit the internet with no warning at all. Photobucket could have at least posted a notice on their site months prior to alert us that this was coming, it would have given everyone plenty of time to move their photos to a different site instead of doing everything at once. Alternatively, they could have imposed this restriction solely on new uploads instead of all uploads. This is super frustrating and makes me want to stop writing my story.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
I've been noticing some blurry Photobucket photos in some of the older threads in the forum, mostly in the Sims 3 section. I wondered what happened. It turns out that Photobucket has new hosting limits for those who use their free image hosting plan.

New Hosting Limits
https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022822393-New-Hosting-Limits

I wanted to post this, just in case some of you were wondering as well.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *