Author Topic: The Drifter Chronicles - House 001 (COMPLETE)  (Read 11584 times)

Offline commasplice

• Occult
The Drifter Chronicles - House 001 (COMPLETE)
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »
I’ve been playing the Drifter Challenge. The rules are can be found here.

Essentially, you clear out all the houses and lots for Willow Creek and Oasis Spring, evicting any families that are living there. With aging on normal, you begin each challenge from scratch and with no money, usually only able to control a single sim until you accomplish the goals for that house, and bring your heir to young adulthood. And then you move on to the next house and start anew.

Prelude
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Offline commasplice

• Occult
Re: The Drifter Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »
Prelude
To: Orys Baratheon
Re:  Drifter House 001

Thank you for agreeing to participate in the Drifter Project for No Sim Left Behind. Your endeavors will help advance simkind.

Your overall goals:
  • On the bulldozed lot formally known as Agave Abode, you will build a home worth a minimum of $30,000 after depreciation. Said home must have at least one bedroom and one bathroom. A room is defined as having:
  • At least 4 walls
  • A door
  • Flooring
  • Wall coverings
  • You will produce and raise an heir to the young adult life stage

No Sim Left Behind will provide you with the plot of land free of charge. You will need to have disposed of your money by the time you begin this project.
The specifics are here.

By signing this agreement, you are pledging to spend the entirety of your life to this project, and the lives of your heirs.

Please return the signed agreement by the close of business today. We expect regular reports on your progress.

To: Drifter Board of Directors, No Sim Left Behind

Attached is my signed agreement and my photo. I hereby attest that I am a young adult male sim with the character traits of: creative, neat, and clumsy. I have chosen the Curator aspiration, but understand that I may change this at any time.

To: Justin Delgato, No Sim Left Behind
Re: Drifter Subject 001

Are we sure about this guy? He seems like a pompous ass.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
This has always looked like an interesting challenge. I look forward to seeing how Orys does.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline RiotKitty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
To: Justin Delgato, No Sim Left Behind
Re: Drifter Subject 001

Are we sure about this guy? He seems like a pompous ass.

"Pompous ass."  Coming from Brant Hecking, that's rich! 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
I'm really, really looking forward to reading your progress through this challenge!
It's a challenge that has long interested me but I've been dissuaded by how very long it is.
Now I can enjoy it vicariously through your story, so thank you!

Good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it!

@RiotKitty   Good call!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »
Interesting challenge!  I've never seen anyone play through this one before, so I'm looking forward to seeing you work your way through this  :=)

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
Re: Drifter House 001, Progress Report 001

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity! Attached are photos of my progress. Please excuse the quality of many of them. I lack outdoor lighting.

I admit, I may have underestimated the challenges that face me. I have been making money by taking advantage of the natural resources of the area. My research suggested that the neighborhood is rich in minerals, wildlife, vegetation, and fish. It was, of course, correct (I am seldom wrong). However, I confess I did not quite realize how much effort it would take to gather everything. Nor did I truly anticipate just what a difference a desert climate would have on my system (the Baratheons have traditionally lived by the sea).

I have also met some of the sims who walk through the neighborhood on a regular basis. No matter how many times I have explained the project, they seem baffled by it.

“What happened to all the houses?” they ask. “Where’s Johnny Zest? He was always good for a laugh.”

You may wish to increase your public relations efforts.

In short order, I have been able to procure: a toilet, shower, cooler, and single bed.

I have not yet erected any walls. It is my intent to wait until I have at least $5,000 simoleons on hand so as not to compromise the integrity of the structure.

It is very clear that I need to establish a relationship with the sim who will be mother to my heir. Unfortunately, most of the female sims I have met so far are either already involved with another or are of an unsuitable age.

One sim, however--her name is Liberty Lee and she is an astronaut—urged me to attend a local gathering at a spot called the Ruins. I made sure that I had the requisite $1,000 simoleons on hand before accepting. While Ms. Lee and I do not seem to be compatible, I believe I have met the mother of my heir: Summer Holiday.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
Lol!
Oh yeah, Summer Holiday in her party garb looks like ideal mother material!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Nice choice!  I've always had a soft spot for Summer, but have never ended up having her as a dynasty spouse.  She was part of the Took family club (Pair of Grins) and was a continually positive and helpful presence around the house as a uncontrolled Sim.
Orys and his self-confidence!  "I am seldom wrong."  Good heavens!

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
Lol!
Oh yeah, Summer Holiday in her party garb looks like ideal mother material!

Well, Orys thinks he's a lot smarter than he really is, lol.

Nice choice!  I've always had a soft spot for Summer, but have never ended up having her as a dynasty spouse.  She was part of the Took family club (Pair of Grins) and was a continually positive and helpful presence around the house as a uncontrolled Sim.
Orys and his self-confidence!  "I am seldom wrong."  Good heavens!

I've done parts of the Drifter challenge a few times now and since you can generally only control your founder or heir, it's helpful if you find a spouse sim already in a career if at all possible. And the nice thing with culinary which is what Summer does, is that at some point she'll get the skills on her own to advance her and bring in more cash. I like her too--horrible makeup and all (you'll see I gave her a makeover of sorts).

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
Phone conversation between Summer Holiday and Liberty Lee

Summer: Why would you think I would want that photo?

Liberty: I’m not the one who decided to stargaze with Orys. Besides you went to the Romance Festival with him.

Summer: That was before I realized how weird he was. You should have heard him when he found out I was a Culinary at Make a Dish.

Liberty: What did he say?

Summer: “Hmmm. If I never cooked and got the funds to purchase a bar, she might advance on her own.”

Liberty: Okay, that is weird. But face it, Summer. Travis isn’t your type and who’s left? Jacques Villareal? Before No Sim Left Behind tore it down, he was practically sleeping every night on the benches at Willow Creek Park. Don Lothario? There aren’t a lot of options these days.

Summer: I do like that he’s up for anything. He wasn’t at all afraid to try out the food at the Spice Festival.

Liberty: Why don’t you ask him out on a legit date? Give him a chance.

Report from Brent Hecking, No Sim Left Behind on Drifter Subject 001

Drifter Subject 001 (Orys Baratheon) accepted an invitation from Summer Holiday, young adult female sim in the Culinary track at Make a Dish. Despite her questionable eye wear and overuse of makeup, she fits all our criteria. I wish we could be sure about her willingness to participate.

They went to “The Green Grille” an entirely vegetarian-safe establishment in Oasis Springs.*

Drifter Subject 001 ordered veggie burgers and water for both him and his date. While it was impossible for me to overhear their conversation, it appears that the reports of Ms. Holiday’s reticence were exaggerated.

Upon finishing their meal, they went to Drifter Subject 001’s residence. I was able to confirm that since his last report, he has purchased a double bed, refrigerator, single kitchen counter, outdoor trash receptacle, The Space Saving Desk Set, desk chair, the Trash or Treasure Sofa, and a computer.

At the invitation of Drifter Subject 001, Ms. Holiday agreed to move in.

It is my opinion, Ms. Holiday is unaware of what she is taking on with Drifter Subject 001.

*The only restaurant at present in Oasis Springs or Willow Creek.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
I realize you can build, rebuild, or download required lots.
Since you've been watching lots of speed build videos lately, will you building them all from scratch?

Summer is a great spouse choice! She makes attractive offspring as well.
Good luck, Orys.

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
I realize you can build, rebuild, or download required lots.
Since you've been watching lots of speed build videos lately, will you building them all from scratch?

Probably building from scratch. I am not a great builder, but I like doing it and since usually it takes a while to get money in this challenge, it seems easier to do that than to wait.

Thanks for 5he encouragement!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
I love that Summer is ending up with Orys because there aren't any better choices while he's probably thinking it's his charm that's won her over.  Craziness!

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »
Re: Drifter House 001, Progress Report 002

I am pleased to report that everything is progressing very well. I have continued to collect and sell the natural resources of the neighborhood. In an effort to complete the Curator aspiration, I have been writing various pen pals and acquiring postcards from them. I have started a small garden, which thanks to some trial and error has resulted in the production of dragon fruit, grapes, and flowers.

Additionally, I have penned a few small tomes, and have been publishing these as well. Thus far I have written:
•   A Fresh Start: How one humble sim decided to start a dynasty that would need to start over and over and over*
•   Are Walls Necessary?: To sire an heir and subject it to living in the open like a hobo or to wait for walls like a normal person*
•   Disappearing Computers & Other Glitches: Making a go of it on foraging and ignoring hardships
•   Barefoot in Oasis Springs: A comedy about a struggling pair of new lovers
*Description written by Summer Holiday

Journal entry, Summer Holiday

What have I gotten myself into? Orys gave me this stupid journal. He said it’s for posterity. I think it’s so that I can pour my frustrations onto the page and he can coax me into staying.

He does work super hard. I have to give him props for that. Every two seconds he’s ranging over the neighborhood digging up fossils and minerals and stuff. Plus, what I didn’t realize was that when we went to the Spice Festival before, he came back with all these plants and turned it into this garden. Plus, he figured out how to graft stuff together to make orchids and dragon fruit.

At least he doesn’t want me to help with that. He does, however, make me do all the cooking.

“It’s because I can’t control you.”

“Darn straight you can’t,” I told him.

“If you do the cooking, it’ll help you advance in your career. We need the money.”

“Orys, how about YOU get a job and then you can advance all YOU want?”

He told me he could make more money working from home.

It galls me that he’s right.

I don’t know if I’m cut out for this. He wants a baby right away. We’re living like vagabonds and he doesn’t seem to get that I want more than that for our kids.

“We only need the one. Besides we have walls.”

“Around the bathroom, yes? There’s no light and no paint or flooring. I want a legit house if we’re going to be raising a family.”

Nancy Landgraab, who is over here like every time I turn around must have gotten through to him, because when I got home from work, he’d built some walls around the bedroom.

I hate this. Every time I’m convinced that I’m gonna come home from work, pack up my stuff, and leave him like a sensible person, he gets around me somehow. Tonight, he surprised me with an engagement ring.

I looked down into his beautiful blue eyes and said yes.