Author Topic: Legacies of the Valley (March 9 -- Sheil) Graveyard  (Read 53775 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 21 -- Gus)
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:06 AM »
Poor Madilyn and her abandonment issues!  Gus is mean always wanting to leave his wife and kids to go off on adventures.  Adventure is the other woman in his life.  Poor Madilyn.  Poor, poor Madilyn.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
@PeregrineTook, Madilyn is going to get the Carefree reward (eliminates stress) just as soon as she accumulates enough points and I have a free day. It's fun writing a Sim with the jealous trait, not so much playing one, as she becomes tense whenever Gus isn't in the same room with her.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Chapter 28

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
One day, while fumbling with the controls on the toilet, Vincent discovered this feature: FlushAway Psych. In its metallic monotone, the machine began talking:

"Your mind has waste products just like your body. The FlushAway Psych (abbreviated to FL.A.P. or FLAP) can assist in removing mental and emotional toxins. Just tell it about your problems, and you'll feel better in no time. Why spend hours writing in a journal when you can talk to FLAP? Note: FLAP is not authorized to prescribe medication, and should not be used as a substitute for serious psychotherapy.*

To begin the program, answer the following question:  What seems to be troubling you?"

"Well, my mother died recently."
FLAP: "Tell me about your mother."
"I always felt that she saw me as her little boy," said Vincent. "She treated my brother Sam like an adult -- I guess because he had to be more responsible while Dad was off in the army. And then when Sam was ready to move out, Dad came back. But even though I didn't have to be the man of the house like Sam did, Mom was always telling me about stuff that Sam would do when he was my age, stuff I didn't have to do because Dad was around. And I got so I tuned her out most of the time."
FLAP: "I see."
Vincent couldn't think of anything more to say, so he was silent for a minute.
FLAP: "Flush the toilet when you've finished your session."
Vincent flushed the toilet, and was surprised at how much better he felt.
After that, Vincent found himself activating FLAP more often.

He talked to FLAP about how lucky he was to have Octavius in his life, and how he wasn't afraid of him, even if he was a vampire, because he knew Octavius would never hurt him.

He talked to FLAP about becoming a parent. "Sheila's a darling, but she's a lot of hard work," Vincent said.

"I wish I didn't have to scold her so much. I think she likes Octavius better than me, but somebody has to see to it that she's potty-trained and that she learns not to make messes. I just wish I weren't the bad guy all the time."
FLAP: "You feel like you're the bad guy all the time."

"That's right," said Vincent, "especially when she just sits and sulks and then starts crying. I don't know what to do."
FLAP: "I see."

"I guess I could try doing something fun with her," said Vincent. "Maybe playing instead of scolding. Less clean-up afterwards, too."

One evening Vincent stumbled into the bathroom sobbing.

"I've been walking all over San Myshuno in the snow, trying to figure out where I went wrong," said Vincent. "Octavius..."
FLAP: "Tell me about Octavius."

"I proposed to him this morning, and he turned me down. I never in a million years expected that response. He told me my timing was terrible."
FLAP: "Your timing was terrible."
"Actually, my timing was terrible," said Vincent. "He had to go to work in an hour. But he looked so gorgeous in his tux -- and I was in my jeans and this sweater. Maybe I should have changed into something more formal, too, huh? And maybe not propose next to the garbage can?"

The next time Vincent proposed, he did it with a bit more style. "Sheila is my witness that I'll do everything I can to make you the happiest man and vampire on the planet. And you can make me the second happiest by saying yes."

With Winterfest so close, they decided to have a simple ceremony. The only place with an indoor arch was the church that Jodi had belonged to.
Vincent didn't know how his mother would have felt about his marrying another man, but he was pretty sure that she'd be pleased he'd held the ceremony in a church. His father and Bethany both came, along with Sheila. Octavius's sister Valerie had been invited, but she didn't come. She wanted to give them "space" to develop their relationship with Sheila, she said.

And then the holidays were upon them, with Winterfest cards arriving in the mail.

Vincent and Octavius sang carols as they decorated the tree while Sheila watched.

They opened the presents that were under the tree, and Vincent finally became Sheila's good friend by giving her a present himself.

And then Father Winter showed up and ruined the day by giving Vincent one of his presents for "bad" people.

"Okay, so I'm a criminal," Vincent told FLAP, "but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person. It's just a job, that's all. It's not who I am."
FLAP: "Who are you?"

"I'm a good father and husband," said Vincent. "And I'm the person Big Bugsy trusted to run the organization in the Fashion District of San Myshuno. Because, let's face it, I'm the only one who looks good enough in this suit for the job. And if Father Winter disapproves, then that's his problem, not mine."
Vincent flushed the toilet. And that was the end of that, he thought.

*FLAP is based on an early interactive computer program of the 1980's, called ELIZA.

Vincent's therapy continues in Chapter 38.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 23 -- Vincent)
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Chapter 29

"I'm worried about Dad," Bethany said one cold but sunny morning when she and Cody were eating breakfast outside. They were outside to get away from all the mess -- the broken washing machine, the toddlers' floor decorations, the stopped-up toilet.

"Now that he's retired, he spends all his time shoveling snow," she continued
"Well, we do have to keep the sidewalk clear," said Cody.
"He's across the street," said Bethany. "I don't think they even have sidewalks over there.

"And when he's not shoveling, he's making snowpals, like the one that Johan's destroying. Johan, honey," Bethany raised her voice slightly, "don't do that." But it was too late. Spike, the snowpal, was gone.

"I don't know what gets into them."
"They're boys," said Cody. "They have all this energy and they don't know what to do with it."
"I feel like they're plotting," said Bethany. "Can you try and keep them out of trouble today?"

"Not making any promises," said Cody. "The Maldonado kids from down the street are coming over for a party today."
"No," said Bethany.
"Bamco is offering a 5000-simoleon Toddler Tunnel for every successful toddler party," said Cody.

"And you know what a party animal I am. That's 5000 simos in the bank, sure as shooting."

"Just make sure the house is still standing when I get home from work," said Bethany. "Love you."
The party was indeed a success, barring a few plates of food that ended up on the floor.

That evening, while they were watching the season's premiere of "Odder Things," Cody started making plans for the summer.
"We're going to have some great parties," he told Bethany. "The toddlers might not have counted, but they were just the beginning. We'll have a birthday party for George and Johan, and then a dinner party, and maybe a housewarming..."
"I think I'm going to go do some shoveling," said Kent.

Cody's story continues in Chapter 39.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 23 -- Vincent)
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
Kent is a snow shoveling machine!!
Bethany is great.  I'm still not sold on Cody being a good choice for her, but at least he's just party-crazed, not unfaithful.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 25 -- Cody)
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »
WATCHER'S DIARY, SPRING, YEAR OF THE LLAMA

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
I really appreciate your seasonal diary postings that include seasonal observations.
Checking your weather helps me realize that my experiences with 7-day seasons quite resembles your longer seasons.
The ratio of fair to foul weather seems the same, my abbreviated seasons just seem so abrupt.
I'm dying to play a challenge with longer seasons just to really savor all Seasons has to offer.

Valerie: How thoughtful of her to use her vampiric allure to spare brother Octavius the pain of wondering about Vincent' attraction to his sister.
I giggled at the shots of Vixenna with Vlad's downhill eyebrows and pointy chin.
I'm so looking forward to seeing how Sheila March grows up. Good luck with the wishing well!

Kathy:I loved Teeny's chapter. My favorite line was:
"Trip to place that smells of unhappy dogs. Littermate there! Bro! Bro! Bro!"

Jas: Oooh, Saffron is such a lovely child, but then so is her mother!
I love how the secret agent tries so hard to compile reports filled with useful info.
Oh no, the mayor's pregnant! What a twist!

Gus: Thank you for all the lovely shots of Granite Falls in winter.
My winter experience there was spoiled by my "need" for a sim to complete Outdoor Enthusiast there.
I will follow your lead and attempt to enjoy seasonally appropriate activities, like building snowpeeps.
No surprise that, as someone who hates cold weather irl, I wouldn't enjoy winter in TS4, haha.

Vincent: What a handsome sim Octavius is.
Haha, I vaguely remember typing in questions about my future into "Eliza."
What a brilliant way to tease out a narrative use for Potty Mouth 2.0! Love it!
How hilarious that each "consultation" ends with the seeker flushing the toilet.

Cody: Does Kent have the Active trait?
I have an Active sim who autonomously shovels snow and wonder why he's the only one.
Cody and Bethany's twins are adorable.
I admire Cody's courage in soloing a toddler playdate while Bethany's at work!
What? Do toddler playdates not count for the Party Animal aspiration? Darn!

Sorry the long comment.
I was away for a while then took some time to figure everything out enough to comment, but wanted to share my impressions of each household anyway...
Still don't have a favorite household yet. ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
@oshizu, I'm glad you don't have a favorite household -- it means I'm making each household interesting, or at least that's what I hope.

I can't imagine playing with only a week for each season. I really love the 4-week version. And you get almost one surprise holiday per week, too.

I think Kent does have the active trait. He does develop fitness by shoveling, so that might explain it. It's certainly safer than going jogging in the cold -- Alex Mullner was quite blue in his shorts and tank top.

I was really disappointed that Cody's toddler party didn't count for his aspiration, but he did get that reward that's worth $5000.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
@MarianT
Yes, you're right. There are one or more aspects I enjoy about every household's story.

Because I finished Pinstar's Legacy Challenge in 2016, I thought I'd try Short lifespan for my second attempt.
Of course, that was before Seasons was released.
Since Short lifespan works out to 7-day child/teen stages and 13-day YA/adult stages, it didn't make sense (to me) for seasons to last longer than a week.
What all this means is that I'm now dying to start a different challenge on Normal lifespan so I can play two-week seasons, lol.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »
Chapter 30

Shortly before her grandfather Pierre died, he won the lottery. Raina and her brother Paul were invited to their grandmother's house to hear the reading of the will.

"He didn't leave us anything," Paul said, after a perfunctory hug, "but Grandmother says that's because he didn't have time to make up a new will. In fact, she thinks it was the shock of winning that brought on his heart attack.
"Anyway, you're the lucky one. You could move in Grandmother and our parents and have access to the full million. I'm stuck with a full household."
Raina drew away from him. "I wouldn't do that," she said. "Grandmother said she would gift us each some of the money, and I'll be perfectly content with that."
She didn't wait to see Paul's reaction.

The 30,000 simoleons her grandmother handed her were more than enough as far as Raina was concerned. She wouldn't have to worry about the next batch of bills, and there would be plenty to fund her next trip to Selvadorada. Out of sheer happiness, she flopped into the snow and made an angel.

At home her own little angel was waiting for her. "I miss you, Mommy!" Cecily complained. "Where you go?"
"I'm off to bed, just like you," said Raina, as she picked up her daughter.
Marlon didn't get home until late that night. He was an opening act now, but he still had to keep late hours.

"Let's be quiet little mice," Raina told Cecily the next morning. "We'll go out and build a snowman to surprise Daddy."

The snowman turned out really well, considering that it was Raina's first and her helper was just as inexperienced. She took a photograph with the trees and thought that nothing could be prettier than Brindleton Bay in winter.

She also took a picture of the house, which she had decorated with purple icicles for New Year's.

Inside, three gnomes had shown up and clustered around the small television set that they'd bought to watch the countdown. Raina gave the gnomes pie and coffee, which they seemed to like.
Marlon came downstairs. "Why don't you go to the spa," he suggested. "Get a massage and pamper yourself. I'll hold down the fort with the little one."

Raina was very surprised to see her mother there. "Starting to live like the rich and famous?" Abigail asked. "Just joking -- I'm sure you ache all over. I'd recommend a foot massage. The last thing you probably want to do is lie on your stomach."

So Raina lay back and let a young man knead her feet until she felt relaxed all over.

And when she got home, Raymond Soriano was ready to make an appearance.

Downstairs, Marlon started cheering as the television erupted with fireworks and confetti.
"Happy New Year!" he shouted.
"Happy New Year!" Raina shouted back. "Come and see your son!"

Raina's story continues in Chapter 40.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 27 -- Raina)
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
Really, Marlon?  Missing the birth of your son to watch the new year countdown?  For shame!
Congrats on the New Year's baby  ;=)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Pregnant Raina was huuuge! I had thought there'd be at least one more nooboo in there.
I still haven't seen those gnomes in my game yet!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
@PeregrineTook, we've seen nooboos born before -- fireworks coming out of a non-broken TV, that's a first.

@oshizu, I thought for sure she was going to have twins, too. If you want gnomes, you have to have the gnome tradition on a holiday. They're great if you're starting a garden. Raina didn't get any carrots, though, which was what I was hoping for. But she got about 20 packets of seeds.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »
Chapter 31

"It's been a while since I've seen you," said Gunther Rowley, 'but Elliott keeps me updated. And don't feel guilty. With your job, two toddlers, and your writing, I know you're really busy."

"Don't forget my wife," said Jeffrey. "I have to spend a little quality time with her, too."
"TMI," said Gunther. "I'm not trying to pry."

"You forgot the cat, too. Whisper is a very important part of the family, probably the most important member, in her estimation."

Jeffrey sipped his drink. "And then there are the neighbors. Vincent Marsh is our bad neighbor -- would you believe he stole Whisper's food bowl the last time he came over?"

"Selim is our good neighbor, helping to mop up the kids' messes. He works at Walrus Books with me, in the fiction section."

Their meals arrived, and Jeffrey and Gunther ate for a while in silence. "I bowled my first strike the other day," said Jeffrey.

"But I've got to get more exercise. My stomach's expanding and my shoulders are shrinking -- not good at either end. I'll bet you want to hear about the children, though."

Gunther nodded. "Robin is a little sweetheart," said Jeffrey. "She loves to dance and to play let's pretend. And also to eat -- she'll even eat peas."

"She's not perfect...

...but she'll give you a big hug when you come over, whether you want her to or not."

Jeffrey continued, "I imagine you really want to hear about your namesake, though. Little Gunther can be stubborn -- refusing to say thank-you to his Grandmother Maru, for example."

"And I never could get him to stop making messes on the floor. Still, as long as we didn't put him in the high chair, he was pretty good about eating."

"I finally got him to sit still long enough to learn his numbers...

...and now he's ready to start school. He's getting ready for Scouts by taking out the trash.

"He's willing to entertain his little sister, too, while I write," said Jeffrey. "They're growing up fast, Pop. You'd better come over before they turn into teens."
"I'll try," said Gunther Rowley. "I'll try."

Meanwhile, Whisper has posted on the cat internet (of course they have their own server -- why do you think there are so many cat pictures online?):

@Simkit, Following your directions, but I can't get past Step One. What am I doing wrong?"

@Whisper, It's probably not your fault. Is your toddler angelic? They're less likely to throw food. Or maybe she was really hungry. It's also possible that she really likes peanut butter and jelly. Try to get your human to give her yogurt. It's the closest thing to cream you can get, even if they do stick chunks of fruit in it.

Troubles for Jeffrey in Chapter 41

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Legacies of the Valley (July 30 -- Jeffrey)
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
Today, I used the Betancourts' links to read all of Jeffrey's updates, starting from his Stats on page 1.
The links really helped me focus on getting his life household's straight in my mind, amidst the other households.

Jeffrey seems to shoulder a heavy burden with his often depressed wife.
I really like how caring he is of her moods, despite escaping from their home now and then.
Most shots of little Gunther show him as frowning, hahaha. Hope that improves.
Vincent & Octavius rank among my favorites--how funny to hear Jeffrey describe them as the "bad neighbors." :D

anything