Author Topic: Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?  (Read 9138 times)

Offline SecretBoy

• The DreamStone Immortal Dynasty starring Christopher and Zelda Dreamstone!
  • Llama Wrangler
Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Should I do a dynasty or a decadynasty? I am not sure which one I would do. Dynasty you get to be immortal but decadynasties is much harder and more challenging (I love challenging things). Which do you think is better in your opinion?
{my blog to come soon}

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
I took the liberty of retitling your thread given the DecaDynasty is a Dynasty. ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
There is not a right or wrong answer to this as the choice is totally up to you. A decadynasty could be considered more challanging because you don't have as long to complete all your tasks and supermaxing by the time someone is in the adult stage can be difficult.But in my experince most good dynasty players can easily supermax by the young adult stage.

I personally prefer to play an immortal dynasty as I like having the family staying in the one house for eight generations.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Both!

(Well I think that's a totally reasonable idea.. :P)

Seriously though, if you have the time, why not do both? I understand that you might not have the time though, and if you plan on doing stories it can get really hectic to play them all and get them updated at a reasonable rate as well. (No one mention that my immortal dynasty was supposed to be updated today..) Personally, I started with the Immortal Dynasty first because it's the classic one that everyone wants to complete. I started that with the intention of moving onto the DecaDynasty once I had completed it but it just drew me in a lot earlier and I felt that I wanted another file to play with.

I'm finding the DecaDynasty a lot more fun because I actually feel there's more freedom. I'm not really sure why, probaby because there's the option to start with a rich sim which I have chosen to do. (You won't always be rich though, unless you employ the Storing-Stuff-In-Chests-Outside method which a few DecaDynasty players have been doing). My immortal dynasty just bores me at the moment, because I'm at that stage where nothing happens.. Not sure if that stage ever comes in the DecaDynasty too, but my first heir is only a toddler so there hasn't really been enough time for me to get bored.

It's personal preference. I think they're as challenging as each other, though I find the Immortal Dynasty more intimidating despite talk of the DecaDynasty being a lot harder.

If you're someone that finds yourself getting bored easily with files, go for the DecaDynasty because I suspect that moving houses around all the time will keep your interest - I know it'll keep mine.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »
Having (unoffically) finished both, I'd say they both have pros and cons:

• The DecaDynasty takes a lot longer, because it's eleven generations instead of eight, and heirs can't reproduce until adulthood. Mine took just over 98 Sim weeks - plus 98 days' vacation time - whereas the Immortal Dynasty was finished in less than 52 weeks (no vacations, since it was played with only the base game and Ambitions).
  • Even doing everything possible to keep the file size down (playing with the lowest settings I could stand and making minimal changes to the houses), the DecaDynasty got unbelievably buggy towards the end.  It was crashing every 30 minutes or so in the last generation.
  • It matters less if Sims pick up points in each other's skills in the DecaDynasty - they're not going to have all eternity to sneak off and try to max them behind your back.
  • The DecaDynasty also has other family member who aren't limited - I enjoyed playing two of the siblings more than most of the heirs.
  • Both get boring at times.  The Immortal Dynasty has quiet periods when you're just waiting for people to age up; I found the DecaDynasty felt repetitive by about generation seven and started deliberately playng differently - playing with other housemates as well as the dynasty family; having a large number of children in one generation and an heir who married twice.

Despite the negative tone of some of the comments above, I really enjoyed playing both of them.  As Fez said, try both :)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »
Hazelnut I was just wondering what you ment by negative tone of some of the comments. I don't see that either myself of Fez was negative.

Rachel

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »
I know its up to myself but I think the ID is a bit boring because you are stuck to the same people in the household and only eight people is immortal but the decadynasty anyone can be immortal.
{my blog to come soon}

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
If you make everyone in a decadynasty immortal you won't have anyone for the tombstone  ;D

Rachel

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
Yea, I was going to make Matthew in my DecaDynasty Young Again with the LTR until I remembered he was the perfect candidate for the tombstone. :P It just depends on how you like the game, I can see why one may consider the Immortal Dynasty a bit boring because it's the same people for a long, long time so I'm just trying to make each of my characters very unique and fun to play so I keep my interest in it. :)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
I personally prefer the Immortal Dynasty precisely because it's the same group of people for a while. In the DecaDynasty, people come and go. My main Sim will eventually die, or Young Again potion if theyre lucky. Any interesting heir will eventually pass as the next heir moves out. For the Immortal Dynasty, I'm with my crew forever.

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
If you make everyone in a decadynasty immortal you won't have anyone for the tombstone  ;D

Rachel
I will have a restriction for Immortals in Decadynastys sties, one person won't be immortal.
{my blog to come soon}

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
Yes but surely if you make a large amount of people from the same family immortal then you run the risk of running out of non-blood related townies.
I don't like moving in the decadynasty and leaving my family behind.

Rachel

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
Im more opting for an immortal dynasty.
{my blog to come soon}

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
Rachel, I think hazelnut meant that some of her own comments might sound negative (like game crashing every 30 minutes).

I have yet to succeed with either dynasty, but I do prefer moving around in the Decadynasty. A big challenge there can be finding an acceptable spouse. In the Immortal Dynasty, your heir can marry anyone; in the Decadynasty, the spouse has to live in town. My last heir had two unmarried non-vampires to choose from, both of whom were elders by the time she became an adult.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Thanks Marian that makes sense. Blame lack of sleep on my being slow on the uptake.

Rachel