Author Topic: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Eleven  (Read 18718 times)

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Chapter Eleven
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
I'm beginning this story a bit sooner than I expected. This is only the prologue though, so bear with this slightly unconventional start to an Immortal Dynasty. To my regret, it won't be eligible for the Hall of Fame, as I'm using my own CAW world (which will be uploaded to the Exchange soon). As it's unofficial, I'm going to carry on using my mods (I use Twallan's Errortrap and Overwatch, and don't use them for gameplay purposes, just to keep my game running smoothly). As the story may demand it, I reserve the right to add a character or two. I realise this takes away one of the worries of an Immortal Dynasty (finding a good spouse), but as I'm not able to reach Hall of Fame status, I'm at least going to try and tell a good story :) As for the rest, I will be taking the challenge seriously, and sticking to the rules (else, what's the point?). The prologue is done in a separate game file.

Here seems as good a point as any to mark out the obligatory blurb with traits and requirements :)

Generation 1 - Constance Cabot: immortal
Traits: Green-fingered, nurtering, good, angler, loves the outdoors
Supermax skills: Gardening (supermaxed)
Lifetime wish: Perfect Garden (achieved)
Career: Gardener (maxed)
BlackOps: Grape-Aid, Uncommonly Good, Outstandingly Rare, Aquarium Fishing, The Omnificent Plant, Stomping Grapes
Venues: Nameless Pond, Mike's Cornerstore (renamed Cabot Grocery Store)
Lifetime Rewards: Professional Simoleon Booster, Super Green Thumb, Eye Candy
Portraits: YA, A, E
Best friends: Cary Twinstar, Peter Devlin, Patience Devlin, Bryan Escobar, Justin Joseph Devlin, Stacie Plummer

Generation 2: Patience Devlin
Traits: friendly, excitable, neat, natural cook, family oriented
Supermax skills: Cooking
Lifetime wish: Culinary Librarian (achieved)
Career: Culinary
BlackOps: Outside Reading, Work for a day, Fix the Boiler, Corporate Diner,
Venues: Bistro
Lifetime Rewards: Speedy Cleaner, Discount Diner, Born to Cook
Portraits: Toddler, child, teen, YA
Best friends:

This is set in the early 19th century, on an Island near continental Europe. Time will move on as generations pass. Oh, and 'Cabot' is pronounced 'Ka-boe'. I've heard that the surname crossed the ocean to New England some centuries ago - what can you expect of a sea-faring Island? One more thing - I originally got the idea for the name from a book I read, called Green Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge. I think it's beautifully written (although the parts of it which set in New Zealand, from a modern perspective are very prejudiced). Parts of it are set in the part of the world that I've drawn inspiration from for my CAW island, so it seemed fitting. The story is nothing like the one I will be telling, but I'd be foolish if I said it hadn't influenced my writing.

I hope you enjoy it. I certainly am enjoying it. I've never done an Immortal Dynasty before, or even really a multi-generational game, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this.

I'm dedicating this story to Krrank, Chuckles_82, Audren, judewright, Deklitch, OhMyZeus and Swirl_Girl, who kindly offered to beta-test Green Dolphin Island, and have offered much support, help, and useful feedback during the making of it! And thank you to everyone who has offered their comments and support during the world-building adventure, I've really appreciated it.

Prologue 1: What lies beneath

Constance was a content child. She had the happy gift of enjoying what are sometimes called the ‘small things in life’, which in reality make up the majority of the physical human experience, and should therefore be accorded the importance they deserve.

She loved food. Her mother, Marie Cabot, cooked excellently; with the abundance of fresh fish her husband caught, and her homegrown vegetables, she could have been a far less accomplished cook and still provided delicious food, but as it was, she was widely acknowledged as keeping the best table in the Island. Connie loved helping in the kitchen, but was well aware that her own efforts were generally inedible, and even when she grew up, would never be even a quarter as good as her mother’s. Nonetheless, the kitchen, with its warm, fragrant atmosphere, was a very pleasant place to while away the time.

She enjoyed playing with the other children in town. She thought that having fun must be the most worthwhile pursuit a human being could have, because, as she reasoned to her mother later with cheerful simplicity, she wanted everyone to be happy, and one of the best ways to be happy was to do what you enjoyed doing.

She enjoyed being outside, being near her beloved ocean, and feeling the wind fresh off the sea, and blowing her hair into such tangles that her mother would tut and sigh when combing her hair out. She loved it when her father would take her fishing, baiting the line for her, and showing her the tell-tale signs of nearby fish.

She adored her parents.

Her father Joseph Cabot, a fisherman, was a reticent but kind man, and after a drop of what he called ‘grog’ and her mum called ‘the drink’, could be persuaded to tell her fabulous stories of the things he had seen at sea. Her mother was always happy to spend whatever free time she had with Connie, reading or cooking with her. As older parents, they differed from their neighbours in one major respect: they had only one child, whilst most of the other fishing families had many. This had not been a conscious decision, just the way that life had worked for them, and they were philosophical about their lot. “There’s some as have many, and some as have few, and it’s how much love you give, and not how much you get that’s important,” Constance’s mother was wont to say when thoughtless people asked indelicate questions. Constance did not mind at all that she had no siblings, never missing what she never had. As an adult, she would realise how her parents had been careful to include her in their conversation, encourage her to speak her mind, always having time for her, and she also realised how much some of her friends would have envied this, just as she envied them their tight familial bonds. As a child, when playing with her neighbours, she’d wonder at the closeness they showed to their siblings, whether in a fit of protectiveness or rage, and wondered why she didn’t have a little sister to dress up, or a big brother to run to when playground fights got rough. When she asked her father about this, her father told her that they’d wanted many children, but been sent only one, and that families came in all shapes and sizes, and what mattered was loving each other and looking after each other. After some thought, Constance decided that this was a perfectly satisfactory answer.

Most of all, she enjoyed her father’s stories. When he was home from his long fishing trips, he would make sure to tell her all about the marvellous things that he had seen on his travels; the tall sailing ships they passed, sails billowing in the morning sun, looking for all the world like beaten gold, the whales that grew larger than their cottage, but that ate animals smaller than the shrimp that Constance loved; the seals basking on the rocks (these, he assured her, were really mermaid-dogs). And he told her the folklore of the Island –  he told her of the fairies who, in ancient times, had laid down the enormous rocks on the headland, which pointed directly out to the sunrise, and were different colours from any other rock found on the Island. He told her of the mermaid who came ashore and turned to stone, and could be seen down at the harbour promenade, watching over the town. “She wanted to come ashore, but weren’t built for it, see? That’s why she’s laughing, and why her back’s turned to the harbour – she was happy to end up on land after all.” He told her of the rumours of long-lived pale Sims, who were found opposite the graveyard. “That’s why, Connie, people stay away from the graveyard. It was built by the crossroads so as to confuse any as might want to leave the graveyard and cause harm, see?” Connie didn’t really see why a crossroads would be so confusing, but nodded solemnly. “Good girl. Not but what there’s treasure enough in that graveyard for them as’d seek it, mind…” This sounded thrilling, but to her disappointment, he quickly left the subject.

The stories she requested most often were about the green dolphins. To her regret, her father had never seen a green dolphin, and neither had anyone he’d ever heard of, although he’d heard stories in the local pub. “But sometimes, Connie, when the storm seems like it’s lasted for days, and you can’t remember which way is up, and you’re tired and aching and you can’t get dry, and you still have to climb the mast to rope up a loose sail, and you’re convinced that this time, maybe you’ll lose the fight and the sea will win it…” Constance shivered happily at the thought, warm and safe in her bed, and young enough to believe that her father would win every fight and live forever “…maybe then, you’ll see a splash that doesn’t seem to be part of a wave, and you’ll catch a glimpse of green out of the corner of your eye, and you’ll know that the storm has reached its peak, and the ship will be safe in harbour afore long. The Green Dolphins are there to look after those as need it. They’ve always looked after this Island. That’s why we called ourselves Green Dolphin Island. The ocean is our mother too, see. We owes our lives to her. Infinite, she be, in power and beauty.”

“What does innifite mean, Papa?” Constance asked, always alert for new wisdom.

“Infinite means endless, dear one. Now you need to go to sleep, if you want your papa to take you fishing in the morning.” Her mother bustled in, smelling deliciously of clean clothes and baking, to tuck Constance in, and take Joseph off to bed.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Prologue
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Woah.  :o I expected to enjoy your Dynasty due to its setting alone, but your writing has blown me away! I love the idea of time actually passing in your Dynasty! Constance sounds like a very cool character, and I'm excited to see how this story goes! It's a shame that it won't be HoF eligible, but if it's fun and a good story, not much else matters.  ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Thank you Audren!

It's quite hard to make Sims look historically authentic :D It'd probably be easier if I used CC, but so far I've avoided the temptation...

The family are adorable to play. They all keep rolling wishes to spend time with each other. It's all very happy and sunny at the moment, but stormy weather is coming...

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
Thank you Audren!

It's quite hard to make Sims look historically authentic :D It'd probably be easier if I used CC, but so far I've avoided the temptation...

The family are adorable to play. They all keep rolling wishes to spend time with each other. It's all very happy and sunny at the moment, but stormy weather is coming...

I know what you mean. There are a couple of outfits that came with Ambitions you could use with unlockoutfits on, (which is approved for Dynasties) but i don't think there'll really help you. They seem older than 19th century, and rather fancy for a fisherman and his family.  :-\

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Oh my. The world looks gorgeous, the characters look great, and it even has particularly skillful writing!

My hat's off to you. Well done, and I'm dying to read more. :)

SimBlip

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
I was so excited, when I found this thread! A Green Dolphin Island story!
Then, I read your intro. If this is your first multi-generational game, I must admire you even more.
But wait! It doesn't stop there... I started reading the prologue and within four or five sentences, I felt totally hooked.
Your photography is superb, but more than anything, it's the writing that tugs my heart strings.
Your prose is poetic, slightly old-fashioned to go with the times, and evokes deep sentiments.
This could become addictive. Already, I can't wait for more!  :D

The Starlight Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
Great prologue! :) The island's looking amazing, and upon reading the prologue, I was hooked from the very first sentence. You capture the atmosphere and the times perfectly; it's very easy to see that this story will turn out to be very interesting. Can't wait for more! :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »

It's fun to see a story in a new world. It looks like you've done a great job making it, and I look forward to seeing more of the island.

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »
I'm really blushing! :) Glad you're liking it, hope it continues to be enjoyable to read. After the second half of the prologue, I'm not going to update the story until I've uploaded the world.

Prologue 2: What lies beneath

Despite the warm comfort of her room, Constance found it hard to sleep that night. After a sincere but inevitably failed attempt to fall asleep by concentrating very hard, she decided to get up and look at the sea, which she always found soothing. She was a naturally good child and had no desire to wake her parents, not because she thought she would get into trouble, but because she knew that, hard as they worked, they needed their rest. So she crept out of bed as quietly as she knew how, and tiptoed out of the front door, holding her breath as she eased it open. She breathed in the cool night air, enjoying the feel of the dew-damp grass on her toes. Even halfway up the hill, the sound of the sea was clear as a bell. It sounded somehow different this night, less calming than usual. She couldn’t quite place what had changed, but became more and more sure that something was not quite right. The wind nipped her cheek sharply, and she shivered, suddenly aware that she was outside clad only in her nightgown (a fact that would have scandalised the less sensible of her neighbours, had they been awake to see it), and that there was a definite chill in the air. She looked out over the harbour, seeing the boats rocking gently on the inky-dark water. Another gust of wind came, harder than the first, rippling the water as if brushed by an unseen wing. She shivered again without really knowing why, and turned to run back inside. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw a splash just outside the harbour walls, but when she turned her head, there was nothing but the waves hitting the breakwater.

The next day, when she awoke, a storm had blown up. The rain was hitting the windowpanes like gunshot, and the wind was howling down the chimney. She thought she heard the door bang as she got dressed, but when she came downstairs, her mother was at the breakfast table, grim-faced, while her father was pulling on his overcoat.

“Fishing’s off, dearie,” her mother said, in what was meant to be a light and cheery tone. “Your father has to go out on the boat.”
Constance looked wide-eyed at her father. “Isn’t it much too rough for the boat today?”
“Jeb just called. The Mary Rose is foundering off the south coast. She’s breaking up on the rocks out there. We need to take the fishing boats out to rescue the sailors. Worse, the cap'n's wife and children are aboard. No time to lose.” As he said this, he grabbed his oilskin and hat, and made for the door.
“Be careful Joe,” said Marie, her voice strained. “The ocean’s looking hungry today.”
“Aren’t I always careful” said Joe. “Make sure the fire’s burning for when I come back wet and cold.”
“Papa” Constance said, her throat suddenly dry. “Please come back”
He paused by the door, his face softening as he looked at his beloved daughter. “I promise I will return, Constance.” He hugged her briefly, kissed Marie, and left.

Joseph did not return that day.

His wife and daughter wept together when their neighbour Jeb came round to break the news. They did not stop weeping when Jeb told them of Joe’s bravery. He had saved the lives of at least three sailors, by throwing them a rope and heaving them in, the boat rocking wildly under his feet, and the waves soaking him from head to toe. He had also saved the lives of two of the captain’s children. Perhaps thinking of his own child screaming in terror, clinging to a rock and unable to reach the rope that was thrown, he had leapt into the icy water and swum out to them. The cold grey water had thrown him back and forth, but he fought with all his might, and finally reached them. They clung to him as he swam back, and as soon as they were in reaching distance, one of Joseph’s shipmates had thrown them a rope. For Joseph, exhausted and weighed down by his thick fishing sweater soaked through with saltwater, it was too late.

Marie sat up all that night by the fire.

"He asked me to keep the fire alight for when he came home wet and cold, and I'm going to" she said stubbornly, when Constance tried to persuade her to go to bed.

In the terrible days that followed, Constance stopped seeing her friends. She stopped talking. She still roamed the beaches, but she couldn't bring herself to fish alone. There was no one to bait her hook. She just stared out at the ocean.

One evening, as she was watching the sun track its way towards the horizon, she thought she saw a splash out of the corner of her eye, as she had that dark night. This time, she saw the ripples that followed. Again that night, she couldn't sleep. She sat up next to the fire, as her mother had done for many nights after Joseph's death. She stared into the flames, numb with loss.

As the clock chimed midnight, she heard the front door creak. Her heart beating wildly, she jumped up. The door to the parlour opened, and there was her father. Dripping wet and cold blue, he nonetheless had the same kindly look on his face that he'd always saved particularly for her.

"Don't be afright, Connie" the apparition said in a gentle, hollow voice.

"Papa?" whispered Connie, caught between terror and wonder.

"Yes pet. I don't want to scare you. I came back to tell you something important. You're going to need to be brave, love. There are things you need to accomplish. The green dolphins are troubled, and you need to help. They couldn't save me, but you can save them."

"Papa... I can't do that. I need you here with me. Besides, I can't bait my fish hooks" she added irrelevantly.

"My darling daughter, you're going to do what I always wanted. You're going to live a long and happy life. You must stop time passing for you and your children's children, but you must record the years as they pass. You must live life as fully as you can. Accomplish your highest goals. You must live in this world, not apart from it. You have a gift for life, child, and you must use it. You must never forget the power of humanity and love. You must have people dear to you, and you must seize every opportunity you can. You must look after this Island, you must love and you must live. Remember how much you can do, and teach your children to do the same."

"Papa, can't I come with you?"

"Sweet child, you won't see me again for a very long time. It would grieve me sorely if you lost your gift of enjoyment of life. Tis more precious than you know. You must help the green dolphins help others. They are in danger now, and it will only get worse as the years go by. When your descendants reach eight generations, you and they will do something wonderful, and the green dolphins will laugh again."

Connie almost laughed at this. "Papa, I won't be alive for that. Eight generations... why that'd be my great-great-great-great-great..."

"Constance. Remember your name. Your mother and I never told you, but we named you for the sea. The great constant in all our lives. You can do this. I trust you, as you will trust your children. I love you, my daughter."

"Papa" Constance sobbed "please, please come back again."

"I came only to give you this message. Believe me when I say I rest peacefully. I love you, my daughter."

The wraith of Joseph faded as he spoke the last sentence. Constance threw herself at where he had been standing but landed on the floor, sobbing. She stayed there until she passed out from exhaustion, and Marie found her in the same spot, as a new dawn rose over Green Dolphin Island.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
The Green Dolphin Dynasty: Prologue
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
Excellent! I've bookmarked.

The Starlight Phoenix

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
Just amazing! I hope you upload the world soon, because I simply can't wait to see the next chapter! This is a wonderful beginning you have there; and this story is in my bookmarks! :)

SimBlip

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
The name Constance is perfect.
I love the coziness of their cottage and the stormbreaker in the harbour is awesome.
Beautifully written!  :)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:38:49 AM »
See, now I can't decide which I'm excited for more; the uploading of Green Dolphin Island, or the next chapter that will come from it!  :P I love the cottage they live in!

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
Great story! I really love it. I'll be following it from now on :)

Joanne

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
Your writing is fantastic, you had me glued to the screen! I can't wait for the story to begin.

anything