Poll

Which was your favourite entry?

ladybug53 - Voyage to Islo Paradiso
5 (27.8%)
GoslettM - Voyage to Robben Island
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: July 02, 2013, 09:46:31 AM

Author Topic: Create-a-Sim Contest 2013: 04 - Escape from Gilligan's Island  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher

CAS Contests 2013: 04 - Escape from Gilligan's Island

The Subjects:
In 1964 a new sitcom opened with a charter boat called the S.S. Minnow setting out on a three-hour tour.  A tropical storm arose suddenly, and the crew and passengers were shipwrecked on an uncharted island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  From 1964 to 1967 their adventures were the subject of a weekly sitcom called Gilligan's Island.  In 1967 the show was abruptly cancelled.  The castaways were left to languish on their isolated island.

But they never gave up hope of being rescued.  And now it seems their goal of returning to civilization may finally be within reach.  They have managed to construct a small but seaworthy craft to take them to the new Island Paradise which has magically appeared in their vicinity.  The boat they've built is small, with room for only three people.  Naturally two of the three must be the two experienced sailors - The Skipper and his first mate, Gilligan.

And who should the third person be?

From left to right, the castaways are:  The Professor (played by actor Russell Johnson), Mary Ann (actress Dawn Wells), Gilligan (Bob Denver), Ginger (Tina Louise), Thurston Howell III (Jim Backus), "Lovey" Howell (Natalie Schafer) and The Skipper (Alan Hale, Jr.).

Your Task:
Your task is to create the three Sims who will make the journey from the castaways' island to Island Paradise.  Use the pictures above as guides as well as any other available pictures.  You need an Adult age Skipper and a Young Adult age Gilligan.  Then decide which one of the five passengers will accompany them on the journey, and make a Sim of the appropriate age and gender.  Please include a brief explanation for your choice.  Select appropriate clothing, favourites, LTW and traits for each of your Sims.  Be sure to include a short biography for each of them.

Special Instructions for this contest only:  You may include up to 14 Screenshots in your entry thread instead of the usual 10.  Also, you may post up to 3 Screenshots in this thread.

For instructions on how to enter the Contests follow this link.

To view a sample entry, follow this link.

Contest Start Date: Friday,14th June - 12:00am
Contest End Date: Thursday, 27th June - 11:59pm

Please post in this thread only if you are posting an entry or asking a question.  However, we would prefer that questions be sent directly to the CAS Contest Team.  Please send your queries to Schipperke.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
Voyage to Isla Paradiso
by ladybug53

Skipper Jonas decided to set sail on the high seas . He gathered a small crew and a few passengers and set off on this journey . One day The Perfect Storm occurred only to leave them all shipwrecked  on a deserted island . They all stayed there for quite some time .

One day , the first mate yelled out Land Ahoy . They all got very excited about this sighting . The only downfall was, that only three people could go on this small craft that they were able to build . The Skipper and his First Mate decided that Mary Ann would come along as she could prepare meals with just about anything . Off they went to explore this new world .

Skipper Jonas Grumpy Adult Male Sim
Traits : Bookworm - Brave - Charismatic - Commitment Issues - Good .
Lifetime Wish : Living in the Lap of Luxury .
Favorites : Grilled Cheese - Country - Blue .
Zodiac Sign : Pisces .

Expansions Used : University Life - Supernatural .
Stuff Packs Used : Diesel .

Biography : Jonas Grumpy learned everything he could about sailing from his father . He is now ready to set sail .

Willy Gilligan Young Adult Male Sim.
Traits : Angler - Bookworm - Charismatic - Clumsy - Excitable .
Lifetime Wish : Jack of All Trades .
Favorites : Fish and Chips - Songwritter - Orange .
Zodiac Sign : Capricorn .

Expansions Used : Generations - University Life .
Stuff Packs Used : Diesel - Master Suite .

Biography : Gilligan is very good fisherman . Just loves to be near large bodies of water . He applied to help as a First Mate on a vessel .

Mary Ann Summers Young Adult female Sim .
Traits : Bookworm - Charismatic - Gatherer - Green Thumb - Hopeless Romantic .
Lifetime Wish : The Perfect Garden .
Favorites : Autumn Salad - Pop - Red .
Zodiac Sign : Libra .

Expansions Used : Generations - University Life - Showtime .
Stuff Packs Used : Diesel - Master Suite - 70s,80s and 90s .

Biography : Mary Ann did gardening along with her mother while growing up . She decided to work on a ship as a cook .

Link for Download and other screenshots . Voyage to Isla Paradiso
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
Re: Create-a-Sim Contest 2013: 04 - Escape from Gilligan's Island
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Voyage to Robben Island
by GoslettM

The two-man crew of the charter boat S.S. Minnow and five passengers on a "three-hour tour" from Honolulu run into a tropical storm

and are shipwrecked on an uncharted island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
And we have a winner!  Congratulations to both members who had the courage to take on this challenge, and particularly to Goslett on a well-deserved win.  I'll be contacting Goslett for a winner's statement. 

Ladybug and Goslett, if you are open to receiving feedback on your entries, please say so in this thread, and we'll open it up for comments.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
CAS Contest 2013:  04 - Escape from Gilligan's Island - June 14 - 27, 2013
    And the winner is - GoslettM!

Congratulations to GoslettM! You can download the winning entry here: Voyage to Robben Island.

In her winner's statement, GoslettM describes the research that went creating the winning entry:

"Wow, all that I can say is thank you, to everyone who took the time out to vote for me.  Ladybug53 also turned in a very strong entry and did a fabulous job as well. To be honest I didn’t know anything about “Gilligan’s Island” that’s why my entry was entered on the last day of the contest.  I surfed the net for days to find some pictures and information on Gilligan’s Island.

I also would like to thank the CAS contest co-ordinators for such a wonderful contest, I had so much fun.
So thank you again and happy simming everyone."

This thread is now open for comments!  Please remember to give feedback only if it is requested, and to keep your comments positive and constructive.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
Congratulations GoslettM ! Your presentation was quite amazing . You did a great job on creating your sims as well . Yours was a great entry .

I have to agree , there was quite a bit of research to be done before starting this great contest . It's all part of the challenge which I quite enjoy . I would also like to thanks the coordinators for this contest . It was great fun , especially creating Gilligan .

I'm open for comments on my entry .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Congratulations to Goslett for winning the contest, and to Ladybug for submitting a fantastic entry herself! I think it's funny how both of you picked the same Sim to be your third shipmate. I meant to submit an entry myself, but I ended up doing a lot of other stuff, and unfortunately this fell to the wayside. It might actually be a good thing, though, since I spared myself from the embarassment of fielding an entry against these two!  ;)

@Ladybug: I really liked your Skipper. I think you did a particularly good job with him.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
@Ladybug53:
I also really liked your attractive younger version of Skipper, but couldn’t find any younger pictures of him in colour only in black & white, and if I create a sim the pictures must be in colour it just makes it easier for me. You also entered a very, very strong entry and as always did a marvellous job.  :)

How did you get to recolor the boat I couldn’t?  As you all can see the Skipper, Gilligan and Mary Ann are busy working on the boat, what I’ve done there is, I’ve hidden toilets behind the boat (there are toilets without the top lids) told them to go tinker and then paused the game used the “moveobjects on” cheat and then the “testingcheatsenabled true” cheat click on the ground and went to buy on this lot, now I was free to move my sims more closer to the boat so that it looks like they busy working on it.

@Audren:
Thank you for congratulating me.  I was actually very surprised there were so few entries, and what also surprises me is the fact that on some of my previous entries that I thought I had a better chance to win I didn’t and now on this one I did, so I think is all up to the members, so never think your entry won’t be worthy enough to enter.  ;)

I actually created Ginger Grunt as my third shipmate because I didn’t wanted to copycat Ladybug53 after all her entry was first but personally I liked Mary Ann, you know when I do research and read about a character it’s like you like that character or not, yes I know its only a role she played but that’s my feeling on the subject.  Maybe I should’ve entered Ginger Grunt instead because now maybe it looks like I have copycatted her.  :-[  I have uploaded Ginger Grunt so go look at her here.

I'm also open for comments on my entry.  :)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
No no! It doesn't look like copying at all. It's just a coincedence I noted. I saw your Ginger on the Swap Shop, and I think you did a fantastic job on her, too.

@Goslett: The one thing I always like about your entries are their eyes. It's a strange thing to notice, I suppose, but you always do an amazing job there. I find it to be one of my weakest points, so I have double the respect for you since you can nail them every single time.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
@ GoslettM - I agree with Audren , you do an amazing job on their eyes . Your sims working on the boat was very clever . Yours was also a very strong presentation . You did an amazing job on your sims and presentation . Bravo !

I only did find one photo of a younger skipper , I think it was black and white though . I did enjoy this contest very much as we had to do three different sims and Gilligan looks goofy and I've never created a sim like that so this was fun to me .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
Awe, Audren and Ladybug53 thank you for the lovely comment on their eyes, I really haven’t notice it myself but now that you both have, I feel flattered.  ;)  This lets me think of what my mom, rest her soul always said about the eyes: “The eyes are the windows to your soul”, wow how I miss my mom now.  :'(

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
@ GoslettM - I should have also mentioned , that I always admire all your efforts with your presentation . Yours, always shines !  :D
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
I have to admit, I was disappointed with the low number of entries in this contest, but what we lacked in quantity was more than made up in quality!  Both of you had very strong entries.  It was such fun reading the back stories you created for your characters, and the presentations were great too.  I was wondering who people would choose as their third character - I thought that might add some fun to the contest - and it was interesting that you both chose Mary Ann. 

As you mentioned, Ladybug, Gilligan looks kind of goofy (and definitely acted goofy in the show) and I think both of you managed to capture that quality of his, even though your two Gilligans aren't exactly the same.  Now that the voting is all over, I can share a secret - when I was putting up the poll, I was tempted to put "vote for your two favourite entries" because I wanted to vote for both of you!   :D

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
Congrats to GoslettM and also to ladybug for two awesome entries!

@GoslettM -  I'm so pleased that you won, Goslett, because I'm always so impressed with your presentation and with the Sims themselves. Well done *claps*  :D

@ladybug53 - Your entry was fantastic as well and I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for the members who voted. You deserve a round of applause too *claps* (and you get a smiley too -  :D )
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
@ GoslettM - I should have also mentioned , that I always admire all your efforts with your presentation . Yours, always shines !  :D

O thank you so much, I again admire all your wonderful houses you make, I wish I have the patience you have.  :D

I have to admit, I was disappointed with the low number of entries in this contest, but what we lacked in quantity was more than made up in quality!  Both of you had very strong entries.  It was such fun reading the back stories you created for your characters, and the presentations were great too.  I was wondering who people would choose as their third character - I thought that might add some fun to the contest - and it was interesting that you both chose Mary Ann. 

As you mentioned, Ladybug, Gilligan looks kind of goofy (and definitely acted goofy in the show) and I think both of you managed to capture that quality of his, even though your two Gilligans aren't exactly the same.  Now that the voting is all over, I can share a secret - when I was putting up the poll, I was tempted to put "vote for your two favourite entries" because I wanted to vote for both of you!   :D

Thanks for your lovely comment, yes who won’t choose Mary Ann she is the girl next door and her character is so down to earth and so she is in real life too, so that’s the reason I chose her.  :)

Congrats to GoslettM and also to ladybug for two awesome entries!

@GoslettM -  I'm so pleased that you won, Goslett, because I'm always so impressed with your presentation and with the Sims themselves. Well done *claps*  :D

@ladybug53 - Your entry was fantastic as well and I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for the members who voted. You deserve a round of applause too *claps* (and you get a smiley too -  :D )

Thanks Snufflesxx, for your lovely comment, you just made my day!  ;D