Author Topic: Out of the box money making ideas  (Read 8025 times)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Out of the box money making ideas
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
I am trying to think of ways to make money that does not involve using a skill. So if anybody has any ideas let me know.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Out of the box money making ideas.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
Does stuff related to traits qualify? Because hacking and stealing come to mind. If you're willing to open it up to hidden skills, making tips by playing pool is an idea too.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »
And don't the magic eight ball sometimes give out money randomly?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
Yep. Asking it if you'll become rich will occasionally (read: often) give 50,000 simoleons. Cheaty, but it's not a skill!

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
Yes stuff relating to traits qualify. I have the frugal trait for coupon clipping and mooch trait.

Rachel

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
Do you have celebrities enabled? I remember last years challenge when you had to get the LTW lifestyle of the rich and famous - celebrities can make a lot of money with no skill. Their ops are lucrative too.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
Interesting topic.  Ever since Supernatural, one of my Sims' main ways of making money is to buy elixirs from the Elixir Shop and sell them back to the shop.  It feels like cheating, but if the shop is silly enough to pay more for something they just sold me, I'm willing to take advantage of it. 

I haven't personally tried this, but I've heard of people finding quite valuable items in garbage cans belonging to the expensive houses.  I don't know if that happens often enough to be a viable means of supporting yourself. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
Scrap doesn't sell for much, but you don't need to be an inventor to collect it and it usually sells for 2 simoleons per unit (I find it all the time searching through residential trashbins).

Dumpster diving is pretty lucrative, too. And if you send your sims to University, they can subsist off day jobs.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks so much for all the ideas. I am looking forward to trying out all of your suggestions.

Rachel

MeganNicole

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
I've found that the beekeeper's box from Supernatural turns up a nice profit. My Sims are able to harvest it everyday (I think) and typically receive two honey jars and one beeswax. Depending on the quality of the beeswax and honey, both items can bring over $100 into the household. I got four beeswax from the box once, and they sold for almost $300! Beekeeping may not take the place of a job, but the extra cash is a nice addition to the money made at work.  :)

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
Do you have the Stonesthrow Greenhouse set? The dancing sunflowers that come with it only cost 75 (as I recall) and produce 4 suns a day that are worth 90 or 100 each. not a lot, but it adds up.

Offline Jamie

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
If your sim has the mooch trait, you can get some money from that. Not a lot though. You could also pick wildflowers (if you have seasons). You can get quite a bit of money from that. The most expensive flower is $600. I seem to find a lot of them at the park/festival.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »
The cheaty-est store item I know of is the produce stand. Join the gardener career for an extra discount, then buy out the books and then sell them for a HUGE profit.
My favourite non-store ways to make money are gems and transfiguration. If you don't want to use the collection skill challenge slot, buy a miner from the consignment store and mine until you get tiberium, or get a dog. Then cut it at the consignment store. Wait til all the bits grow, and then consign them.

If transfiguration is a go, then buy out all the gem dust at the elixir consignment store and any gems from the consignment store. Turn them into soulpeace gems and cut them and sell them (consigned of course for the bonus).

Offline ZMan

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
If you have Ambitions, you can make a ton of money just from buying consumables from the grocery store and reselling them at the consignment store (the best for reselling is the Red Berry Bean if you have University Life) . You could maximize your profit by taking the Born Salesman/Born Saleswoman trait and the Suave Seller LTR for 15k points. You could also visit the consignment store each day and cancel all consignments that didn't sell the previous day and relist them so that you always get the most profit, but this would take a lot of micromanaging since you would have to cancel each item that doesn't sell one at time. If you have University Life, you could go dumpster diving and sell whatever you find, but it isn't nearly as profitable as reselling items, at least in my experience.

anything