Author Topic: Carving Out Your Niche  (Read 36021 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Carving Out Your Niche
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Also, one issue I'm having, I'd like to see if anyone else is having a similar problem. When I sculpt something and sell it in Buy Mode, the Sculpting Skill Log registers it as having sold for twice the amount that it actually did. For example, say my sim sculpted a piece worth 20 simoleons. I can have them sell it directly from the sculpting station through an action, and it will sell for 20 simoleons and be registered in the log as being sold for 20. However, if I sell it in Buy Mode, my sim will still earn only 20 simoleons, but the log registers it as 40. Note this is only selling said sculpture one time-- the sculpture doesn't reappear to be resold, I'm not undoing anything, etc. Has anyone witnessed the same issue? An obvious solution is to simply sell sculptures directly from the sculpting station after they're built, but I'd like to know if anyone found another solution.

I will have to check this out.

--------

EDIT: Wow, that is potentially a huge exploit so we need to nip this in the bud. Yeah, my Sim made a clay sculpture worth $85. When I sold it right off the stand everything was hunky dory and $85 was added to the Money Made stat, but selling it in Buy Mode gave me $170 for the stat. That is bizarre!  :o

Well team what is the opinion here? Everyone clearly needs to do the same thing, so I am thinking the simplest solution is to not allow selling of sculptures in Buy Mode.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
Agree.  Simplest solution is to force everyone to use the stand to sell sculpture, however I can foresee lots of player making a mistake.  I myself is so used to selling sculpture in buy mode, hard to change habit.  :'(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
I'm kind of glad that this conversation happened, simply because I noticed the same glitch in my game and now I know that I'm not alone. :P Yeah, restrict selling sculptures to selling them off the stand. It's much easier than "do the math after selling it through build/buy."
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
Wow, I've never noticed that before! Gosh, so that was how my fortunate fortnight sim made so darn much money sculpting. Ha.

Offline Brisayshi

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
Oh wow! At least I wasn't the only one with that problem, haha. Yeah, I mean I guess you could just record all of your money you would make rather than trusting the skill journal, but the best plan would probably be to just sell it directly off the stand... Kind of a shame if you wanted to hold anything for decor until the end. But well, at least I'm glad I could help by pointing out a potential problem. :)

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:53 AM »
I will have to check this out.

--------

EDIT: Wow, that is potentially a huge exploit so we need to nip this in the bud. Yeah, my Sim made a clay sculpture worth $85. When I sold it right off the stand everything was hunky dory and $85 was added to the Money Made stat, but selling it in Buy Mode gave me $170 for the stat. That is bizarre!  :o

Well team what is the opinion here? Everyone clearly needs to do the same thing, so I am thinking the simplest solution is to not allow selling of sculptures in Buy Mode.

Yes, i noticed this in the past as well and was not sure what was wrong, figuring it was a bug. I get the right money selling it in buy mode , but it show up on my skill log as more money. I think for simplicity, it is best to sell right from the stand. Unfortunately, it means we cant get appreciated value of the statues, but it would be too time consuming to list the sell price for everything you sell.

Thank you Brisayshi for bringing it to our attention.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
Okay, thank you for the feedback everyone. Here's the edited Money Made rule now:

Money Made — Open up your Sim’s Sculpting Skill Journal and look down to the Money Made stat. Remember the restrictions: no consignment store sales, and no sculpting opportunities that pay simoleans. VERY IMPORTANT: As soon as your Sim finishes a sculpture and you get the information pop up in the top right screen, you must sell the sculpture in Live Mode with the piece on the stand. Entering Buy Mode to sell is not allowed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline aalikane

• Nooboo
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
I wish I knew that before I did my 10 practice run throughs... -_-

Wondering what my scores'll look like now.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 06:59:24 AM »
I just wanted to bring everyone's attention to these changes...

• You cannot sell or consign any sculptures at any register.
  • You can only purchase ONE sculpting station.

Offline Ynde

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »
Just saw this today (I've been a little busy lately!). I probably won't be able play the game at all until Monday, but this one looks like fun. Am I allowed practice runs after the event is live, or does my first attempt have to be my only attempt?

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
@Ynde

Yes you can practice as many times as you want, even after the event is live.  When you decide to create a scoring file, that’s it—you have one attempt and cannot create a 2nd scoring file.

Offline Ynde

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
Yes you can practice as many times as you want, even after the event is live.  When you decide to create a scoring file, that’s it—you have one attempt and cannot create a 2nd scoring file.

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully I'll have time to do a decent job on this.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
It is June 1st here in Australia, and I really wanted to be at the top of the leader board of one of these contests (even for a short time), so I've completed this sculpting one nice and early.

My score is as follows:
unique items sculpted: 24 x .05 = 1.2+1 = 2.2
money made in sculpting journal: 36861

Total Score = 2.2 * 36861 = 81094

Yay, first place (for a very short time, I'm sure) lol.

Edit: First attempt at the multiplier, I multiplied my unique items sculpted by .01 instead of .05, but have now fixed it up

Offline december22

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Well thats me done, been waiting for it to go live for ages. I love sculpting but there is a large portion of this which is down to luck

Heres my score

Money made: $37678
Diff sculptures made: 29

So... 

37687 x 2.45 = 92,311

If my maths is correct

Now off to attempt Jimmy Bond :'(

Offline SassySimmer

• Tea Addict
  • Immortal
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Yippee, knocked this one out in a couple of hours :)

Money made: 60,747
Number of unique sculptures: 31 (31 x 0.05 + 1 = 2.55 multiplier)
Total = 154,904.85

Score = 154,904

Now for the next challenge :D
♫♪If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.  When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps, just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing, and always look on the bright side of life......♪♫

anything