Author Topic: House Hunters II  (Read 38374 times)

Offline bored1

• Llama Wrangler
Re: House Hunters II
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
oh yeah- I played in Starlight Shores. my trial run in SV didn't go as well as I hoped, so I looked at different towns and found several homes in SS over 200k that started empty. I moved often- about 8 times.

Danielle Haydis

« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2014, 09:11:41 AM »
Your welcome, Turoskel. :)  Before the start of this challenge I did some research and it turns out SV has the greatest worth of empty houses at the start of the game (1,030,019). It's the only town to have reached 1,000,000.

I used a vampire and a werewolf and my strategy was to move them in to the cheapest house, have them stay there until the last day and then start moving like crazy. There's no depreciation in the house value as long as you move within the day.

I mistimed their move by a day and so their last house lost 20,000 off it's original value.  :'(

Story Progression did nothing except move in a household into one of the expensive homes. That annoyed me like crazy.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
Your welcome, Turoskel. :)  Before the start of this challenge I did some research and it turns out SV has the greatest worth of empty houses at the start of the game (1,030,019). It's the only town to have reached 1,000,000.

This fact I am well aware of which is why susiesue's score caught my attention. Her original post said she played in SV. I deleted that portion of her post because I did not want that fact revealed until later. I have no idea how 2 mil+ is even possible in Sunset Valley given you cannot leave anything on lots to make them more valuable.

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
My household was made of an artistic Ghost, whose paintings were worth around $900 since the very first one, a klepto-vistuoso witch, who would play for tips during the day and swipe at night, two dogs and four horses, the dogs hunted and the horses trained by themselves and then were sold. They lived in the cheapest house most of the time, I didn't care if that one depreciated, and when they had enough money the started moving from one house to the next one on value.

I also have to thank Danielle Haydis, she saved me a lot of time finding out which town would be the best, I did some research myself but just confirmed that SV was the best. My sims lived in every possible house they could live in SV; there were two of the exact same value so my sims stayed in one of them long enough for it to depreciate a little.

I read the strategy of the one who won this same challenge the last time it was played and he talked about getting sims pregnant because if a household would get bigger household they would look for a bigger house; my witch and his love charm did get lots of sims pregnant, but none move out!

It looks like we all have a very similar strategy, the differences in the result I think are because of the depreciation factor. It was a fun challenge, congrats you all!
ĄPura vida!

Offline Chare

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
I made a list of all the households in Sunset Valley, organized it by # of sims per household & crossed off the houses that only contained males (Alvi, Steel & Koffi). Then my sims (Don & Juan Casanova) started impregnating the town starting with the lower populated houses first. For money, they sold what their six canine companions (Hachiko, Balto, Beethoven, Rin Tin Tin, Ambrosius & Lassie) dug up.

By the end of the challenge, Don & Juan had fathered 95 children & only managed to relocate the Andrews family.

Out of morbid curiosity, of those who used the pregnancy method, how many total children did your sims spawn?!?  :o

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
Out of morbid curiosity, of those who used the pregnancy method, how many total children did your sims spawn?!?  :o

Well, I only focused on the biggies with the pregnancy trick (the trick that apparently flopped for everyone). I think Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of his hat for Rocky might have had more success. Anyways, I only "worked" on Agnes, Morgana, Vita, Nancy, and Cornelia. Agnes had twins. The others had single births.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
Large families have a higher chance of moving out per EA story progression, but if your sim knows anybody in that house (even aquaintance), it increases the chance that family WILL NOT move out.

So to summarize it all, the highest chance for a family leaving town is they are large families (family of eight) and nobody in your active household knows them.  For this challenge, families moving out will just all depend on luck, I don't see any strategy involved that will affect this outcome.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
I should mention that Agnes was one of two families who got 6 kids. She moved after her second set of triplets - the doing of kids music.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
Well, I didn't know anything about the pregnancy trick. I went the human route, sent one of them off to the consignment store and elixir consignment store to buy and sell elixirs, swipe cars (both swiped cars as both were kleptos) and smelt metals/cut gems. The other one did the purchasing of houses, and did fishing and gardening. I don't have pets or showtime installed on my laptop so couldn't make use of pets or genie lamps in my game.

I was in Sunset Valley (after practices in Moonlight Falls, Bridgeport and Twinbrook didn't pan out so well) and the Keatons decided to move into one of the more expensive houses in town. I was able to move into their old house, and all I can say is ... I can tell why they would move out of their existing house.

Out of curiousity, what were the bugs associated with Union Cove that made that town banned for this challenge?

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
Union Cove was banned because of the unbalanced house values compared to other worlds.  Also the world have lags/routing issues, our forum's Joria fixed it but the team decided not to include this world for simplicity wise.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
Ah, that makes sense,thanks Nutella :)

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
I didn't know about the pregnancy trick either. Also I don't have showtime, so I don't have a genie. I had my two sims have jobs in the sports and army career. That way they made a bit of extra money (although if I did it another time I would have done something different) I'm kinda new at this kind of things :P learning along the way. I also got my 2 dogs Sam and Alaska searching for metals/gems and my 2 cats Bengie and Akili hunting so I could sell extra stuff. The dogs brought in the most money. I've lived in 7 houses in total and played in SV as well.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
I seriously can't believe I may have won! My strategy was very different from all the ones that I have read so far. I am just going to say I played most of this file just before the rule change and at the time there were many scores I knew I wouldn't beat so I didn't keep any step by step notes or anything. And my file is gone since I had to do a reinstall. I played in Sunset Valley with a vampire, human, and 2 dogs. The only traits I remember were virtuoso and night owl for both sims and then hunter, genius, and possibly adventurous for the dogs. I started in the cheapest home and bought 2 guitars then placed them in the sims inventory which is where they stayed. Each sim taught a dog to hunt then went to bed so they would be on a night schedule for the vampire skill gain boost. I sent the dogs to hunt. They hunted constantly only stopping to fulfill needs. Both sims stayed home and worked on guitar until level 6 then did about 30 performances which in total took about a days or 2. Then the vampire would play at the theatre and the human sims would do the moving and anything else that needed to be done. When there was nothing to be done she played at the theatre for tips also. I lost value in most houses because at this time I didn't know the trick. House 1 and 2 depreciated in value. House 3 and 4 I moved out of immediately. House 5 also depreciated in value.  At house 6 I started to play around with the gems and metals the dogs were bringing home. And I bought a gem cutter and placed it where ever it could go. And I cut the gems and sold them and sent the metals to be smelted. When I moved I popped the gem cutter in the family inventory and placed it on the next lot if I had any gems to cut. At house 7 my dogs found some Tiberium and so I decided to let that sit on the lot and grow. And I noticed that house value increased. So I but sold all my large spire Tiberium and put the normal and gem dust and the gem cutter in my inventory and moved to the next house. So house 8 I put out a couple Tiberium I had and waited a night and my house value increased so much that I would have to skip a house so instead I put everything in my inventory and waited another day for the value to decreased. Then moved and put out my Tiberium again. House 11 I knew I didn't have enough room in value to get the Tiberium out so I just moved right away. House 12 had to lose value in order to move to house 13.  Then house 13 I believe I put out some gem dust and it turned to Tiberium then I moved. In house 14 I had a bit of room for value increase so I set out a couple Tiberium and waited till the next day and packed it up and moved. In house 15 I didn't have value room so I just move right away. At house 16 I decided I would just move to house 17 and get that value up as high as I could.  In house 17 I put out all the Tiberium I had and let to get large. Then just before 11:45PM on Week 2 Day 7 I packed everything up and called to move to get my value. I was only in house 17 for about 2 days. Most of the large Tiberium I sold and didn't hold onto which I now know was a mistake. At house 17 I just kept all Tiberium out until I needed to get my value. I made mistakes but I learned from them.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2014, 03:53:28 AM »
MomofMany, I don't get how you got the value to increase in the houses, we where not allowed to let things behind when we left the lot, as far as I knew staying in a house would decrease the value.

If I read your post right, the value would increase overnight if you had gems on the ground? But should that not decrease as soon as you put it in your inventory?

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2014, 04:52:12 AM »
I noticed a strange increase in property value using tiberium also. I couldn't see any on the ground anywhere, so I dragged the hammer across the 'empty' area. Nothing sold, but when I went back to the move screen again, the price was correct.

@Metro - the total value of all the houses in SSV, occupied houses included, is just over 3.8 million. Someone would have to be incredibly lucky to have managed enough families to move away to get that questionable high score.

In my test run I was hoping if I aged up enough people in the first week to elder, that they'd die in time. No one died. Not even Buster. And he's the oldest sim in SSV. Then I noted in the settings that the elder age span was more than 2 weeks anyway, so gave up any hope of that happening, and just stuck with doing a moving day starting just after midnight on the final day, so only the cheapest house lost any value.