Author Topic: How to make copies manually? *Solved*  (Read 7543 times)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
How to make copies manually? *Solved*
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »
I hadn't realized that there were two different ways to make copies of a crafted item; manually and by crafting.  What Nutella has written on a page in the challenges shows that there are.  She writes that these both apply:

"Making copies manually (via crafting) -- Ok to do."
And
"Clicking on the item and choose the "Create Copy" interaction -- NOT OK."

So clearly, these are two different things.  Could someone please explain  how to make copies manually, and how this is different from create copy?  Does this just mean to craft another item of the same type, which may have a different look and value, or is there another way?

Offline officialghosts

• Occult
Re: How to make copies manually?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »
I believe she's just referring to crafting another item of the same type. I can't think of any other way of copying that wasn't also referenced on the page you mentioned.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
I'm hazarding a guess that this is to do with painting.  You could randomly paint the same painting more than once.  However, once you've painted something and click on it, there's an option to Create Copy.  I think this is what's being talked about.

Offline officialghosts

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Yes, I believe ClayMask was asking if there was a way to create copies other than 'Create Copy' or just randomly crafting it again; as far as I know there is not.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
I believe she's just referring to crafting another item of the same type. I can't think of any other way of copying that wasn't also referenced on the page you mentioned.
I think you might be right, but I'll still keep checking this topic to see if anyone comes up with anything.

I'm hazarding a guess that this is to do with painting.  You could randomly paint the same painting more than once.  However, once you've painted something and click on it, there's an option to Create Copy.  I think this is what's being talked about.
Thanks for your input.  Create copy is what is being talked about as not allowed in this example, but what I'm wondering about was whether there was something different here that was talked about as being allowed.  She said the create copy command was not allowed, but making copies manually by crafting was, so there is a difference between the two.

Edit: It was also specified that create copy was instant, whereas create copy manually by crafting took time.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
I actually think this refers to the business itself.  You can restock at the retail location after the store is closed.

Dellena

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
Since you have no control over what painting a sim will paint except for size and style, you're bound to have duplicates of the same painting created which is out of your control and takes the same amount of time each time regardless.

I think she's pretty clear on what isn't allowed:

"Clicking on the item and choose the "Create Copy" interaction -- NOT OK."

What she could possibly change for what is allowed could be phrased as:

"Making dublicates manually (via crafting) -- Ok to do."

Since the dublicates aren't really copies.  A copy is something you make from an original example (hence the Create Copy interaction on an existing painting).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
... you're bound to have duplicates of the same painting created which is out of your control and takes the same amount of time each time regardless.

I'm probably off topic here, but creating a same painting does not necessarily take the same amount of time.
You can spend anything between 35 minutes and 2 hours on identical looking paintings.

Offline dodi90

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »
Tix, I think what @Dellena  meant is all painting took the same amount of time to complete regardless of the result. Of course it didn't mean that in 2 sim hour, you can create two identical paintings in a row since it was based on chance. Since I'm guessing that this topic is about a challenge which revolve putting paintings on the wall on a house, there is literally no difference in time spent to make 15 paintings with 3 of them are the same ones accidentally to 15 completely unique paintings. Since the key here is you don't shortened the time spent to make this 15 paintings, that is why Dellena said it was no difference.

Btw the number of 15 is just purely random on my part. I just use it as comparison.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
Re: How to make copies manually? *Solved*
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  Nutella clarified to me that what she meant when she said creating copies manually via crafting was simply crafting the item again.

Since this turned out not really to be a Get to Work issue, I'm moving it to the miscellaneous help board.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
So cloning an item is also like "create a copy"?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
So cloning an item is also like "create a copy"?
Yes, for this reason cloning items also isn't allowed.