Author Topic: Building Tutorials  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Building Tutorials
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »
@Twinmum  has created a series of Build Mode Tutorials, encompassing eight pages. Here you'll find introductions to build mode, tutorials for making multi-level homes, basements, counters, and cabinets. Indoor/outdoor pools, roofs, just about every major concept for making a nice home is covered! Additionally, there's a primer to give you ideas on using build mode cheats. It's too much to summarize here, but you'll find all eight published and ready for your building enjoyment. Look to the right on the page to get an index of all the new building guides.

Special shoutout to @Dellena who contributed some really helpful information on how to do some of these things, making the tutorials even better.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think :)

Offline Justwright

• Townie
Re: Building Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
This is wonderful!  I'm guilty of square houses with all the same roof.  I actually want to try to build something interesting now!  Thanks so much.  Great job, Twinmum and Dellena.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »
Wonderful! Just what I need!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »
Oh wow, I thought I'd gotten a good hang on the build tools, but there were some great tips in those guides that I hadn't figured out yet!  I especially love being able to change the eave heights!  This was a great guide!

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »
@Twinmum deserves all the credit.  She did all the heavy lifting on this.  I just proof read and added some minor bits.  I'm glad people are enjoying it though.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 12:54:16 PM »
This is great and well written. I haven't done a lot of building in The Sims 4 so this was helpful for me. Thanks :)

At the start of the guide I did notice that the picture of build mode with everything number and labeled that the roof decorations wasn't numbered. It's the part that looks like a chimney for a fire place. There's only a few items there to place on a roof but they will add to the look of the house or building.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

hazysmith

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
This is very helpful information. All the little tips and tricks will make building easier and more enjoyable. Fantastic job!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
Thanks so much for doing this. Now that you've explained how to do split-levels, I might try making my house!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »
Wow, this was such a good and comprehensive guide.

A question: When you enable the hidden objects, is there a special category for them like in sims 3 or do they appear under their sub category?

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »
These are wonderful! I never would have thought to try things like lofts or dormers, but now I'm really excited to build them. I also didn't really understand what a frieze was until now. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
At the start of the guide I did notice that the picture of build mode with everything number and labeled that the roof decorations wasn't numbered.

oops.. I might have to fix that for when Carl next does some work on the page. Thanks @grimsoul 

A question: When you enable the hidden objects, is there a special category for them like in sims 3 or do they appear under their sub category?

@saltpastillen

They are under the normal sub category eg lighting or decorations, but you can narrow the field down by using the filter items tab that appears on the right hand side above the catalogue items. Expand the filter items tab, select content and then put a check mark next to the debug option. That will then show only the debug items in that category.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Dellena

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »

To see them all, type "debug" in the search box once you've used the cheat and hit enter.  I think that once you've done that, you can use the drop down box to select a certain category, like lighting, to see the lights.  I believe the debug lights show up under the Miscellaneous Lighting category (for example).  If you know the name of the item you're looking for, type that in the search box (i.e. dragonfruit).

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
I'm really pleased to have this on the site. It's helping a lot of people, and Twinmum contacted me to include a little about the half walls. Might have to ask her to do this again in six months or so and maybe do some step by step builds to put it all together. Plus who knows what new features with be added in the meantime. I knew this was a gem, but all the positive feedback makes me very glad I reached out to her about this.

anything