Author Topic: Roofing a diagonal offset room  (Read 28233 times)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Roofing a diagonal offset room
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
I was messing around with the roofs on a house I'm working on and as a happy accident I discovered something I've been wanting to do. Others might already know this but I haven't seen anything about it unless I overlooked it
But anyway lets say you have a house that you have an offset on like this and want to put a roof on it.

In the Sims 3 this wasn't a problem with the round and octagon roof, just grab one and slap a roof on it. But if your like me in the Sims 4 you end doing one of two things like this. Which is ok but it has that over hang on the diagonal part of the wall.

Now there's is another option. We will be using the Half Hipped Roof and the Diagonal Half Hipped Roof.
First grab the Half Hipped Roof and place it to fit the front wall of the offset. Which in this case is two blocks wide.

Now for the trick. Grab the Diagonal Half Hipped Roof and rotate it so the flat side is facing the front of the room. Like this

Now just move into place on the right side. You can already see where this is going. :)

Do the same thing with the left side of the roof.

Add a little trim work and your done. :)

The only thing is the front wall has to be an even number of blocks wide for it to work. Here's one with the front wall four blocks wide and the roof raised up some.

If you try it with the wall an odd number of blocks wide like three in this example it will let you place the first diagonal piece but when you try to place the second diagonal piece the placement box turns red and if you click you get an error saying Invalid Diagonal Intersection even with Move Objects on cheat.

I hope that I was able to explain it well enough for you to follow along.
Like I said at the start this may be something you may already know but I hadn't seen it done before and I just had to share it. :)
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Re: Roofing a diagonal offset room
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
To give an better idea of how it looks. This is how I used it in my current build. The two side offsets are two wide and it works there but the middle one is three wide so I had to stick with the other way of roofing it.

If anyone figures out a way to do this on an odd number width roof I would love to here it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
I haven't seen this done before.  Nice tip.  Thanks!

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:36:04 PM »
Nice build Grimsoul, those little roofs work really well and set the front off perfectly.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
I haven't seen this done before.  Nice tip.  Thanks!

You welcome, I've received so much help here I always like it when I run across something like this and I'm able to contribute something back to the community here.

Nice build Grimsoul, those little roofs work really well and set the front off perfectly.

I really like how much better it looks like this than with just a standard roof.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »
Oh wow.. this is brilliant @grimsoul Thanks for sharing!
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:33:16 AM »
This is brilliant, what a great tip. Your house looks totally fab too.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lunaura

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:46:19 AM »
This has been bugging me for forever! I love my little bump outs and personally made bay windows, but could never figure out how to roof them, other than with a flat roof that never looked good. Thank you so much!

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 07:45:48 AM »
@lunaura Your welcome. I like these little offsets to a house also just to break it up a little.
Although it's not a perfect solution, like not being able to have the front wall an odd number blocks wide.
And after messing around some more I've noticed if you come out from the house more than one block it doesn't work right either. But still it's better than nothing.
I used this same technique to do the gazebo roof on the Victorian house that I uploaded, which I think turned out alright. The roof was a little odd looking in the center so I had to add the square room on top to hide that, but it gave it a little character. :)
I'm would still love to see them give us octagon and round roofs for doing this. 

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
Thanks, Grimsoul.  I struggle with roofs and this will be a big help!  Love the house too.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline lovrenco

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a few screenshots...

This is how would a roof enclosed in 360 degrees using this tehnique look like:
1.jpg

You can close the gap with a hipped roof diagonal in the middle:
2.jpg

You can also cut this roof in a half with a wall (besides the odd looking floating roof):
3.jpg

This is how a roof, who's base side is diagonal, would look like. Notice how there are no gaps and there is no hipped roof in the middle, it's enclosed fully with half hipped roofs:
4.jpg

Love the site...

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 04:44:24 PM »
@lovrenco  Great tips! I always really struggle with hexagonal roofing but you've made it look so easy!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Look what I finally think I learned how to do with roofing 8)!  I tried to follow the instructions in this post.  I'm really excited about this because I've been trying to figure roofing out for a long time.

anything