Author Topic: Tutorial: Apartment Building  (Read 246618 times)

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
Re: Building apartments?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »

Pam, I believe this is a four-unit apartment complex with four enclosed parking spots, a public laundry, a public game room and a public back yard.  It was designed for use in SV, RV and other worlds where you want apartment living that doesn't look out of place (or tower over the rest of your buildings).

It has one usable unit on the second floor and three 'hidden' units for NPC's.  If you look at the second picture, you can see a door on the left side of the hall for the hidden unit.  This unit is across from the playable unit.  Then there are stairs to the third floor with two more hidden units.

Hosfac, please correct me if I am wrong ;).

Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:26 AM »
Thank you, mtglady!  Does that mean your Sim cannot plant a garden in the back yard or build a pool like you can do in a regular house?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:01 AM »
@Pam: You can, Hosfac mentioned it a few posts back.

Yes you can!  The whole back yard is designated as a public area.  In a public area, you don't own anything (which is why it's so cheap with 3 arcade games, 3 high end washers, 3 high end dryers, a hot tub and a full playground), so you can't alter it at all unless you put the cheat codes in.  Likewise, when you move, you can't take any of that stuff with you, even if you "pack furniture."  But other than that, you can do whatever you want in it.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:38 AM »
He said it is a public backyard and that planting is allowable.  I'm not sure about the pool part, but if it is marked as public then pool building should be allowed.  

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
Thank you, mtglady!  Does that mean your Sim cannot plant a garden in the back yard or build a pool like you can do in a regular house?

Your sim can't alter public areas unless you use "testingCheatsEnabled true" and "restrictBuildBuyInBuildings false."  If there's a sim living in the building in question, however, the cost for any and all upgrades to public areas come out of their household funds, but doesn't add to their "net value" like it would if you added a pool to a regular house. 

But if the back yard is designated a public area, they can plant freely.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »

Yea!  *** running off to download now edit - (running off to download now) ;D.
Asterisk's in front of a comment is often used to express a thought.  I changed it to make you happy Simstar - lol!  Better now?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »
Yea!  *** running off to download now  ;D.

What's with those asterisks? ???
Formerly Simstar3

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
    • This is a link to my studio on the exchange where my builds can be downloaded.
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
Okay I got a little ambitious and started building a huge mansion at 15 Summer Hill court in Sunset Valley (The 60X60 lot in the rich area) and after designing and furnishing the plethora of gust rooms I thought any good mansion should have I thought, "These are starting to look more like luxury suites in a fancy hotel." so then I thought "I might as well make this into an apartment building but I'm having some trouble.

Reading this thread I saw that in build mode you Shift-Click or Shift-Control-Click n a door to a unit to mark it as an NPC door but do so before placing any room markers.

Well, I had already placed public room markers but not the private ones so I deleted the public room markers and then saved a copy of the house to the library and then started a new game and placed the building on the lot in the new game with no markers and if I shift click on a door it just grabs the door and if I Control-Shift-Click on it the options I get are (Lock, Delete it, Reset, Clone, Add the ability to add triggers and activated behaviors)

Tesingcheatsenabled is on
buydebug is on
restrictbuildbuyinbuildings is off

What else do I need to do to be able to set the doors to the other units as NPC doors?

Might the fact that I already furnished these units be a problem? That was before I found out what a waste of time that is. The furnished price for this lot is currently 1.3 million. :)
My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
You mark the doors as NPC after placing markers. You don't get the option unless the door leads to a public area and a hidden area, I believe so at least.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
    • This is a link to my studio on the exchange where my builds can be downloaded.
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
Cool, Thanks I'll try that.

I've kept on working while waiting for a reply and it's at 20 units and counting. lol ...and I'm still not finished with it.

I am however really happy with how the roof came out. It was an awful lot of work but worth it. I so can't wait to finish it and post some screenshots.
My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 06:41:59 AM »
Yup that worked. Thanks again.

I did notice a couple odd things though...

First, When I moved in a couple sims to test they just walked to the front door of the building and stood there for a while and then started wandering around all the public areas until they got tired enough to pass out and then started napping on benches. It was like they had no idea that they even had an apartment to go to until I sent them there manually.

Also, there was no "set as front door" option when clicking on the apartment door. Just lock.

Also, also, everything other sim that was coming or going was triggering the little message flag in the upper right corner saying, "Looks like it's time for me to go no. Bye." What do I care? you weren't visiting my sims. That's just annoying message clutter. I wish it didn't do that.

So, any one have any ideas? Is "Set as front door" not suppose to show up or did I maybe do something wrong?

P.S. I just registered for the gallery so I'll have some screenshots up soon.

My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Offline Primadagoddess

• NPC
Re: Tutorial: Apartment Building
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »
Is there a game pack that you need to add to get the call box?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2015, 05:30:48 PM »
Is there a game pack that you need to add to get the call box?

@Primadagoddess  I think appartments were added with the Late Night expansion pack, so you may need that for the call box, but I'm not 100% sure.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Vleonard517

• NPC
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »
I've done everything listed here and I still can't change the other apartments so that NPC's can move in. The only options I have under shift+click are "object...delete it." I have testingcheatsenabled true active.