Author Topic: How-To: Backup Game Files - Sims 4 (Saved-Games/Houses/Lots and Households)  (Read 133661 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
How-To: Backup Game Files (Saved-Games/Houses/Lots and Households)

How to Backup a Saved Game
Save/Share an Individual Sim/Household
Save/Share a House/Lot
Easiest way to backup my Sims 4 files?
How-To: Remove Flying Llama Items From the Library
Finding/Installing Custom Content Houses/Lots
How-To: Organize the Files in the Tray Folder

After playing Sims 4 for a bit I took a look at the Saves and Tray folders and noted what I found. These notes may be found on other websites. But still wanted to share what notes I put together.

My "tutorials" are below along with links on how to zip/unzip files and folders. So you can save your houses, households, and/or lots each individually without having to share them on the gallery. And zip up your saved games if you want. Zipping the files up is optional. I usually zip up my Sims files to help take up less space on my backup drive.

Please make a backup of the Sims 4 folder. Just in case something happens and you need to refer back to the files. When you have found all is good in-game - saves are there, households, houses and lots are there that you want to use. Then it's safe to delete the backup Sims 4 folder. Unless you're like me, and keep a backup of the Sims 4 folder anyway. *Snicker*

If you need help zipping and unzipping files, please the links below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/zip-unzip-files for Windows 7, 8 and 10
http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/10/how-to-zip-files-in-mac-os-x/ for Mac OS/X

For Mac Users:
Try Keka (free) http://www.kekaosx.com/

Easiest way to backup my Sims 4 files?

One of the easiest ways I've found to backup my Sims 4 gameplay files is to save the whole Sims 4 folder (C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4) to the desktop, flash drive, or a external hard drive. 

Doing it this way saves everything - including the contents of the Saves, Tray, Screenshots, Video and Mods folders, as well as the options.ini file. 

How to zip up the Sims 4 Folder:

1. Navigate to this folder:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\

2. Right-click on the Sims 4 Folder -> Compressed (zipped) folder from the menu.

3.  *Optional* Rename the resulting .zip folder.

4.  Move the resulting .zip file to a backup folder, flash drive or external hard drive.

----------
How to Unzip the Sims 4 Folder:

1. Locate the zipped folder that you want to unzip (extract) files or folders from.
2. Do one of the following:

a.  To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location.
b.  To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
How to Backup a Saved Game
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
How to Backup a Saved Game.

For this example, this tutorial assumes you have used Save As at least once and will be only saving one saved game. Repeat this for each saved game you want to backup.

1. In your Saves folder [ \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves ]
sort by Date Modified. -- For example: 11/18/2015

2. There may be up to 5 files per save. However, what your looking for here is the date/time of the particular save. - These 3 files below were saved on 11/18/2015 at 1:59pm. That's how I knew they were part of my last save.

However the version files may have different date/time stamps depending on how long you've been playing the particular save. What matters most is that they all have the same slot number.

For example:
Slot_00000002.save (Main Save)
Slot_00000002.save.ver0 (Backup 0)
Slot_00000002.save.ver1 (Backup 1)

The files start out saving with a number ( 2-9 as 1 is reserved for the Autosave slot) and then after the numbers are used, the game starts saving with alphabetical letters ( A-F ) then goes to 10 - 19 and 1a - 1f, and so on. Technically, you only need the .save (main save) file - unless you'd like to keep the backup files as well.

The game assigns the next slot when you use Save As. Slot 1 was the autosave file and is no longer used. So the saving system starts with Slot_00000002.save. - The .ver0, .ver1, etc. files are backup saves, created when you do a Save in game.

3. To back this save, you can make a folder with the family name on it, for example and then move the files into it and move the folder to backup media of choice.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Save/Share an Individual Sim/Household:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »
Save/Share an Individual Sim/Household:

For this example, this tutorial assumes you have the sim/household saved to your library.

1. In your tray folder [\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Tray] sort by Date Modified.

2. There will be several files per household. The date and time saved should be the same for each file for the household. The last several letters/numbers of the filename will be mostly the same for each household.

0x00000000!0x0059068c2956001d.householdbinary
0x00000001!0x0059068c2956001d.trayitem
0x00000013!0x0c59068c2956001e.sgi <-- one .sgi file per Sim in household.
0xe242a302!0x0059068c2956001d.hhi
0xe242a303!0x0059068c2956001d.hhi

3. To save or share this Sim/household you may want to create a folder with the household's name on it and move the 5 or more files into it. Then move the folder to backup media of choice.

----
There maybe "extra" sgi files. Not sure exactly why. Unless they are files related to the library itself.

- To See Sim/Household in library:

You may need to select View Content By: Others to see the sim/household, unless you made it. Select All.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Save/Share a House/Lot:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
Save/Share a House/Lot:

For this example, this tutorial assumes you have the house/lot saved to your library.

1. In your tray folder [\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Tray] sort by Date Modified.

Click images to see larger view

2. There are 6 or more files per 1 house. Depending on how many stories the house has. The filename will be mostly the same for each file for the house. The bpi files will have slightly different filenames at the beginning. See below

For example, the house I'm working with has 6 files. - .blueprint, .trayitem and .bpi (4 files of those)

0x00000000!0x09ed068cf9480059.blueprint
0x00000002!0x09ed068cf9480059.bpi
0x00000002!0x09ed068cf9480059.trayitem
0x00000003!0x09ed068cf9480059.bpi
0x00000103!0x09ed068cf9480059.bpi
0x00000203!0x09ed068cf9480059.bpi

3. To save or share this house you may want to create a folder with the house's name for example, and move the 6 or more files into it. Then move the folder to backup media of choice.

----
There maybe "extra" sgi files. Not sure exactly why. Unless they are files related to the library itself.

** Tip **

It may be better to load the house and re-save it so all the house's files are together and have the same date/time stamp. Easier to organize the files this way, and sometimes when it gets built it will have a different date/time stamp.

- See the house/lot in library: [Including custom content houses]

You may need to select View Content By: Others to see the house/lot, unless you made it. Select All. -- Also under the Advanced Menu, click Include Custom Content. This ensures that you can see CC houses/lots downloaded from other websites.

Finding/Installing Custom Content Houses/Lots

When you download homes from other sites, the build files [.blueprint; .bpi (there maybe 4 of these files with different file sizes); and .trayitem] need to go directly into the tray folder, without being in any subfolders.

If there is cc that comes with the home, those cc package files go into the mods folder. Then, tick the box that says "include custom content" which is under the advanced section of the filter in the gallery.
The homes/lots should then appear when you go to your Library section of the gallery.

If using a Mac, you may need to re-compress the files and un-compress the them to the Tray Folder. - To help the game see the files.

How to Install Downloaded Lots
http://www.sims4houses.com/p/how-to-install-downloaded-lots.html

anything