Author Topic: HowTo: Change the Default Browser in Windows 10  (Read 3857 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
HowTo: Change the Default Browser in Windows 10
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
When you install or upgrade to Windows 10, Edge becomes the default browser and can cause some problems in forums and such.

Here's how to change your default browser in Windows 10.

1. Navigate to Settings. You can get there from the Start menu.
2. Select System.
3. Click Default apps in the left pane.
4. Click Microsoft Edge under the "Web browser" heading. ...
5. Select the new browser (ex: Chrome) in the menu that pops up.

:Note: If you have problems with emoticons or posting in the forum, try a different browser to see if that helps. It seems like it may be a problem with the way Edge shows (?) stuff. I'm not entirely sure. As I don't use the Edge browser.

----------
Reference Link:

Here's how to set your default browser in Windows 10 (With Photos)
http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-how-to-set-your-default-browser-in-windows-10/

Download Firefox Browser - Windows 64-bit version - Mac version
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Download Google Chrome Browser
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Re: HowTo: Change the Default Browser in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Thanks @Mrs. Flynn,

I learned that when you upgrade to Windows 10 Edge, it won't allow you to transfer your favorites from Internet Explorer over.  You basically lose them.

You can follow the directions to transfer them to another browser (I think it works, will find out later on) and it is supposed to do that without a problems. 
You would think that with MS creating both IE and Edge that there would be no problem in the transferring.  Or that they would fix it immediately.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
@ Mrs. Flynn,
Tried what you noted.  Problem I am having is it isn't listing in "web browser" any selections other than Internet Explorer, Edge or go to store. 

I will probably go to Firefox web site and see if I can download it from there.  Frustrating, seems one thing after another.  Since I had over 100 favorites I hate to lose them.  Granted, I hardly ever used over half of them, it is just that I had them if I wanted them.  Most were from college, still, they were mine !  :) 

clicking on the emoticons didn't bring up the icon, but using the keystrokes did.  Confusing

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
Hi, Janna.

The Favorites for Internet Explorer are usually stored in your profile folder (default is C:\Users\<username>\Favorites). You can check there to see if your IE bookmarks are still there. Also, you can still open Internet Explorer by clicking on Search on the taskbar and typing Internet Explorer. You can open that and see if the Favorites are still there as well.

Also, if you do install Firefox and the IE Favorites are still on the system, you can import them into Firefox during the installation.

Hope this helps. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

anything