Author Topic: Apocalypse Challenge Builds  (Read 5548 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Apocalypse Challenge Builds
« on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
Some of my friends have been playing the, (shudders in dread), Apocalypse Challenge by Pinstar and bemoaning their houses.  I would like to understand the challenge and it's ramifications and admit I'm too chicken, (at the moment), to give it a shot.  BUT, I figured I could build a bigger, better, cuter AC house or three or four.  Not sure I succeeded.  I did find you almost have to start with ugly and empty in one way or another BUT you CAN build what amounts to a mansion in an 8x8 space by going up and down.  Sooo, I created the more mansion like first, then removed everything I could and still make it usable by the restricted owners.  By using the basic ugly as a starting point and the mini-mansion as a guide, (you have to download both houses), you too can have a rather nice 8x8 apocalypse house.

Remember the limitations are:

Cost: under $19K
Spacing:  any item with a foot print of over 1x1 can NOT be moved until Body Builder is maxed  so you have to realize anything larger than that may be in the middle of an area you don't want it in later on  (tip, you can enlarge the Penguin tv and place it on a 1x1 wood crate "end table" and move the whole thing)
Item Price:  You MUST buy the cheapest of anything you are allowed and the poorest of quality and if I remember correctly, it can't have something that will improve the environmental value.  So no cheap picture with a +1 to help make the room get a nicely decorated mood.  No plus anythings anywhere.
Allowed Items:  Very restricted!!  Nothing fun except a chess table and I believe that is only for skilling.  You can have books and later in the game you can unlock electronic items like the Penguin tv.
Placement:  You may not have ANYTHING outside of the 8x8 area including landscaping!  Nothing on the side of a house even if it is withing the 8x8 area because everything MUST be within walls and a roof.

You are not allowed to travel to community lots at first, however if there is a local park like area within your immediate neighborhood, you can go there for monkey bars, grills, and harvesting fruits and veggies.  Best to plan your build accordingly and make sure there is a fishing source in your neighborhood as well.

Ok, here's what I've come up with so far, all of it a work in progress because I KNOW I can do better.

Name:  Apocalypse 1B
BY: Origin ID Joria
Lot size: 20x15
Bedrooms: 4
Bathrooms: 3  (no showers/tubs allowed!)
Cost: $18,775 gallery price
Hash tags: #Joria #carlsguide #carlsguiderdc #apocalypse
Link:Apocalypse 1B
Not much to show for itself but you can live here if all else is gone.

This is what's left of the basement.  You have to drag it out to the 8x8 grid to make more rooms.  I had to do this because of cost.

First floor, kitchen/ dining/tiny lounge and bathroom

Second floor:  Master bedroom, bathroom, nursery/child's room, chess table in MB.
One double bed, one bassinet, toilet and sink with room to add a shower.

Third floor:  Teen/ya bedrooms, bathroom and an easel. One twin bed.

Bare, eh? 

Now here is what it looks like finished with several things unlocked!

Introducing, Apocalypse 1.

The following are pictures of the completed, decorated (without using any environmental pluses), rooms  after most, if not all unlocks have been achieved. Let's start with the sub-basement which would have to be built under the one you have to extend out.  I had to remove  Science skilling stuff as that career is one not allowed.  (No Get to Work allowed)

Focused area:

Basement after you enlarge it.  Energized, work out area:

First floor:

Second floor:

Third floor:

Now build up one level to add the fourth floor, inspired room.

Totally play tested by young and old and no CC or mods or MOO which is not allowed.
Areas with twin beds can be double beds instead, or even three beds per room.  The roof is for a rocket ship, one of the few things allowed outside.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Apocalypse Challenge Builds
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
This is so fantastic, Joria! I like the way you've put the up/down staircases together against one wall. And way to squeeze in a toilet/sink on the B1 floor!
Especially genius ideas: the 1x1 locker instead of a 1x2 dresser which can't be moved for weeks and weeks. Placing the Penguin TV on a 1x1 create for the same reason.

What I love about having your before/after images is that we can plan where to place stuff, even if we can only buy a little at a time at first.
And I love the use of colors in the bedrooms! MOO can be used once the Criminal/Oracle career is cleared.

Almost makes me want to start over! (almost) You are an angel for doing this!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
This is fantastic! I agree; I feel like starting over just to use it. My fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants house is miserable to live in. I especially love the two versions so there's room to grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
I'm really happy you guys like it!  So I guess I need to post the other one I did?  I'm still trying to figure out ways to make it affordable and cute yet expandable and stay within the restrictions.  Kudos to all who try this challenge!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »
Good job, Joria! I, also, am tempted to start over so I can use it. But, I guess I'll just keep using my ugly house for the moment. I hope to find time to play my AC now that I'm in the new apartment. In between times of putting things away.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:32 AM »
This is really pretty!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »
@Joria

I was just cruising the Gallery and noticed that you've also uploaded an AC starter for the Agave Adobe lot in Oasis Springs?
We AC junkies would deeply appreciate your walking us through that build as well! The Gallery photos don't do your creations justice!
I know, I know, you've just caught up with your Rival Dynasties Challenge and here I am creating another distraction.
*feels bad but not bad enough not to ask for the house tour (hehe)

Also, would you mind if I post a link to this thread in the Apocalypse Challenge Support thread?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
Oh, I know!  I've been so bad about posting the Agave Adobe house.  I think it's because it needed some tweaking, (no place on the roof if I remember right).  I promise I'll post it and do another I've got floating around in my brain as well.  Sure, go ahead and post a link if you want to.

----------
My No Buy Story

anything