Author Topic: Trying to Connect Elevator Shaft to Elevator is driving me crazy!  (Read 6098 times)

Offline NikkeiSimmer

• Llama Wrangler
Trying to connect an elevator shaft to an elevator. 

The thing is I'm trying to build a five-storey condo with suites on a residential lot for a single family unit.  I have four floors planned, including a basement that is all accessible by each family member and one penthouse suite that is confined to the fifth floor.  The problem comes when I'm trying to attach three elevator shafts on top of the express Penthouse elevator which goes from the main floor to the top floor.  They refuse to connect to the 2x2 walls.  I either get an error with "cannot connect through walls" or "must attach to terrain or floor."

Here's the visual of the condo I'm trying to create...with the elevator.  I can't start on the floorplan until I have a properly connected elevator.  It's easy enough if you want to stop on every floor, but if you want an elevator that goes from the main to the penthouse without stopping; you're going to run into problems. 

Can anyone give me a hand here? 

Main floor with the three elevators in view as well as the emergency staircase.  Yeah...I'm building to code in a "game"! :shrug:

Elevator Shaft does not want to snap to walls.

Annoying this is the top ones went in just fine.  The shafts block off the penthouse from the rest of the family.  The reason for this is privacy for the "founder"

This would be how the elevators would look if I had a working shaft.  No elevator doors on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors and a door on the fifth for the express penthouse elevator. 

Since my elevator shafts won't snap into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor allotted areas, how do I get this to work?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
The error message "must attach to terrain or floor" might mean you may need to try putting some flooring down first before placing the elevator?

Every now and again my game won't allow me to place stairs unless I have put flooring down first. I usually put free wood flooring down, place the stairs and then delete the free flooring.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NikkeiSimmer

• Llama Wrangler
Finally got the thing to work by putting the elevator on the outside...(totally gutted the place and rebuilt it from the ground up); used moveobjects on, alt-mousedrag to snap the elevator shafts in place then built the shaft walls around them after...after using metal tiles in the 4x2 spaces needed for elevators.  Evidently carpet (flooring) causes problems. 

anything