Author Topic: Ways of making money  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Thunderbolt

• Nooboo
Ways of making money
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
I have been playing Sims 4 for over 2 years now, and I realized that the amount of money made by different ways is slightly different on the guide than what I have experienced...
I thought I would share here people can get help on this or share something that I have been missing...
So here goes the list of ways of making money based on the amount of money with also a small consideration of the amount of time it requires invested in it....

The first few ways are basically ways to make insane amount of money. These are ways by which only one sim has to make money the rest of the family as well as the next 1-2 generation can just enjoy.
1. Writing.
One of the easiest and fastest way of earning huge amount of money.
Amount of money 9/10
Time required 10/10
2. Painting
Another one of the fast and easy way of making huge amounts of money. Specially if coupled with the marketable trait.
Amount 9/10
Time 10/10
3. Gardening
As far as the money made is considered this is the best way. The only problem is the time required. Finding plants, grafting, evolving.
Amount 10/10
Time 8/10
4. Retail Store.
Another one of a huge money maker. Plus not bound to any skills.
Amount 8/10
Time 10/10
5. Gaming.
Highly bound to video gaming skill and the gaming career. But if the restrictions are met. A serious money maker.
Amount 8/10
Time 6/10
6. Joining a career
Most basic way of making money. Although some careers pay more than others almost all careers pay more than enough for you to thrive over time.
Amount 7/10
Time 7/10

Next few ways are ways to make money enough to live on. Not extremely rich but quite enough for the sim and the family of the sim.
7. Woodworking
Good money. Fast. But require level 10 for decent money. That too is not at the level of painting or writing.
Amount 6/10
Time 7/10
8. Fishing
At high skill level if you catch the right type of fish. This is a pretty decent way of making money but the number of low value fishes is very high compared to the high value ones which decreases the efficiency of this method.
Amount 6/10
Time 6/10
9. Programming.
Combined use of hacking plus app and game creation can give decent amount of money. But the time required to make an app/game is too high and the amount gain from hacking is too less.
Amount 5/10
Time 5/10
10. Restaurant
Opening a restaurant no doubt is one of the most engrossing and entertaining way. But it doesn't really pay well. Plus considered the amount of investment required it is way below any of the high earners.
Amount 5/10
Time 4/10

Next few ways only make a decent amount of money for one sim if done continuously. It is good for hobby or as side method of making money.

11. Musical instruments
Can earn u some extra cash by licensing songs and by tips.
But certainly not enough.
Amount 4/10
Time 2/10
12. Comedy
Preforming comedy routine can give u some amount of simoleans but not nearly decent.
Amount 3/10
Time 4/10
13. Selling collectibles
If u complete the collection aspiration then it do start to look ok but it's still less. Only benefit being that it's not tied to any skill or any career.
Amount 2/10
Time 5/10

Offline Thunderbolt

• Nooboo
Re: Ways of making money
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
Open to any suggestions regarding anything may have missed or miscalculated...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
Thank you @Thunderbolt. I think you've pretty much nailed it as far as the ordering of the main money-makers. I think I've made a page about that topic but it likely needs an update. The ratings are a nice touch. I have not had an awful lot of time for Sims this year, but this is definitely a topic I need to revisit when I can. Also, I think that writing about stacking some bonuses from rewards to make a super-Sim sounds like a fun article.

Gardening is probably in the right place due to all the set-up, but it's nice that once it is established the master gardener can let someone else do the work of harvesting all that, while others require the constant input of the master. I guess it's unique in that it can fuel a legacy forever but when I think about it, it seems like plants should die of old age eventually like Sims :)

Offline Thunderbolt

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »
Thank you @Carl for the reply.
Yes gardening do have benefits to the family. Specially in Sims 4 where plants seem to be immortal, unlike Sims 3. I once had my plants for 3 generations of normal life span and they were still good.
As for the super-sim, although I usually play generations and refrain from using potion of youth or ambrosia as far as possible. But yes it does sound like a nice idea. I might do that myself and put up the results here.
It will take some time though... as I just got my parenthood dlc 3 days back. And right now I just want toddlers.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
@Thunderbolt

I would move Woodworking up to #3.

At level 7, a sim can take a vacation to Granite Falls and learn the Woodworking Schematic.
With the right trait and Very Focused mood, the sim can then pump out roughly 3 camping mascot sculptures every 2 hours, each worth about $4k. The woodworking table is cheap and the mentor-able Handiness skill can be taught to new generations.
Set up a stereo or speaker nearby to keep the woodworking sim's Fun meter up.

Woodworking is much easier and faster than a Retail Store, and with lower startup costs.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »
Woodworking should definitely be at least #3 The woodworking schematic makes it an instant money-maker with little effort. I'd also drop gardening down since the patch that changed the way the harvestables value over time.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline CuriousSim

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
It's probably good to try painting, before woodworking, since completing the aspiration will add a lot of versatility to what you can make on the woodworking table. Woodworking is then good, for improving your repair & upgrade skills. It goes well with the "Nerd Brain" aspiration. It should be noted that when you make anything at the bar, the empty glass can be sold, at the original price. If the glass can't be sold, it can be recycled in the electronic trash can, for 10 S'bucks. If your dishes spoil, it might be good to grab a serving & throw away each plate individually, in the electronic trash can.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Thunderbolt

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
@CuriousSim yes thanku for reminding that. Mixology can also be used as money making skill with selling of drinks (or empty glasses) via inventory. Some drinks like sunset valley and granny smash can be sold for decent simoleons.
@Playalot  I guess woodworking can be moved little up. But what change in harvestable price is introduced?? Haven't noticed it. Vl go back and check again after updating.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
@Thunderbolt  harvestables used to have a cycle of increasing value either while still on the plant or in a sims personal inventory. You could get blackberries that were worth over 16k easily and so on. Now the value is stationary and does not improve with time or when traveling through a loading screen.

Probably this increasing value was a glitch - at the very least a game exploit much like playing for tips in TS3 but it made gardening hands down the best money maker. Not so much now this exploit has been fixed.

Since this change I've found woodworking to be the most effective way to make large amounts of money quickly. Once your sim is at L7 if they learn the woodworking schematic of the campsites mascot it is easy to make at least 100k in a weekend. Even more with the reward trait marketable. Getting to level 7 of the skill is also pretty easy now with City Living and apartments as all landlords have level 10 in Handiness so by using the lot trait where plumbing and electrical items break over night means that you can 'trap' your landlord into non-stop mentoring which means getting to L7 is a matter of a few days  grind depending on your sims work schedule etc. Sooner of course if your sim doesn't work.

Same really applies to painting skill. Many of the townies now are game generated with level 10 painting skill  mainly so they can be the NPC's that paint in the Arts District of San Myshuno. Once you have identified who this is, again trapping them into non stop mentoring of your sim is pretty easy making it very easy to level up and so start making huge amounts of money. And of course, this again is improved with the reward trait Marketable. 

I guess a lot depends on your play style. I like to play strategically as opposed to telling my sims life stories, and so I am always looking to make the most out of a skill rather than just letting it 'play out'. There are quite a few little game mechanics that you start to notice when you play this way (just read through some of the winning posts of the competitions to see what I mean) that you can use to your advantage when making money or skilling up very quickly to the point where a skill becomes a viable path to riches!

It also depends how quickly you want the money and if it is a short duration of wealth creation or something you want for longevity to support a legacy of dynasty etc. Hats off to you for creating your list, I get struck by indecision over ranked lists like this as normally I want the moolah fast over every other consideration and my sim will live off moodlet solvers while doing that.

*Edited to add: a consideration with making money from licensing songs etc is that if your sim can do this with multiple instruments the money isn't too bad and is quite good for longevity rather than instant wealth.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

anything