Author Topic: 2018 Handiness World Championships  (Read 36437 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: 2018 Handiness World Championships
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »
Well, shoot. A player has brought to the team's attention one thing about cyclonenic's strategy and that was that she counted all the various Instant Upgrades for having Nerd Brain. The multiplier counts as long as the name of the upgrade is different -- even one word. Either she or someone else asked about this, and I cannot remember specifically what I said. I did not pursue that myself, so was a bit in the dark. I think I gave the green light because I was thinking something was instantly upgraded not realizing the actual name of the upgrade was always "instant upgrade." Pfft. Crap. :( Not sure what to do at this point. Did anyone else pursue Nerd Brain and count all the instant upgrades? And cyclonenic -- you do NOT need to apologize or anything like that. This falls on me.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
@Metropolis Man It's only a game, not worth the hassle. Just DNF me.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »
This is not my choice, but in my humble opinion if cyclonenic asked, and it was approved, then I don't think that they should be disqualified.  However, I can see how that could be considered all of the same upgrade.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »
This is not my choice, but in my humble opinion if cyclonenic asked, and it was approved, then I don't think that they should be disqualified.  However, I can see how that could be considered all of the same upgrade.

I agree, for whatever that's worth.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks to the top players for sharing their strategies, especially @cyclonenic    Extremely well played, cyclonenic!

I giggled at the comment by @christinal3106 about all the paperwork she did, and remain very impressed by her cleverness and commitment!

Also very impressive is that we had 50 participants in this challenge. What a glorious day for the tournament! May it continue for the rest of the year!

I also agree with christina and reggikko about not disqualifying cyclonenic. 
But perhaps the second-place winner could be boosted to a tie status for having performed all the upgrades individually?  Just a humble suggestion.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »

I agree, for whatever that's worth.

I considered Nerd Brain/Instant Upgrade but didn't pursue it (my choice) and didn't pm the team about it (also my choice).  I wouldn't want to see cyclonenic or anyone else DNF'd over it. 

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
Yeah, cyclonenic -- you will not be DQ'd. As I said...this falls on me. I am so sorry everyone. cyclonenic -- there's a really high likelihood you would have won anyway. Think about it -- if you had not pursued Nerd Brain for the Instant Upgrade bonus, then that would have saved a lot of time that you would have just sunk into making more mascots which would have impacted your Household Funds. One score would have gone down a bit, but the other score would have been greater unquestionably. But, it's water over the dam at this point.

Everyone -- this was a great event. cyclonenic....please please please do not feel bad about anything. You won. It was a great event. We all need to celebrate the large 50-player field. That's a biggie and it makes me hopeful for this year.

;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
Oh, thank goodness. And this is a perfect example of why it's great to high a very high caliber player on the team. Lena just messaged me (and Glazeylady who originally wanted the clarification)...

So when you approved the use of instant upgrade i saw it like this.
Yes you would use instant upgrade multiple times, and yes that the same name, but if you afterwards click on the object it will tell you the different named upgrades so thats why i would have said yes to go with it too.
I just didnt think that it was worth the hassle, but Nic proved me wrong there.

/Lena

Whew *wipes the sweat from his brow and ups the dosage of his memory pills* Lol.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
Wow, congrats to @cyclonenic !  And to all of our big winners ^^

For what it is worth, I tried for Nerd Brain in a practice run, but because I did worse than my initial run, I decided not to go for it (logic was my bane on that one XD).  But when I did it, I counted all the upgrades it did as separate ones (as long as the names were different) just as Lena mentioned.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
@cyclonenic  Congrats on your win, you deserve it after how much effort you put in. :)

Like most people here, I also thought about maxing Nerd Brain but decided it wasn't worth the effort. I bought the cheapest lot in Windenburg and instead of building a house, set up a bunch of woodworking tables, as my Sim had the LTO trait. (Along with Insider, Quick Learner and Genius). I also formed a woodworking club, using Rally the Troops and the Handiness and focus boosts to my advantage, I used potions to take care of Thor's hygiene and fun needs. I used the Leader of the Pack and Fortune aspirations to get satisfaction. One of my club members was Caleb Vatore, to stop Vlad from drinking from my Sim, Vlad did break into my empty lot and upon seeing Caleb decided to flirt with my Sim instead. *Facepalm* I took Thor to Granite Falls to  learn how to make the Mascot and also made him rummage in trash cans around the world for a day to get upgrade parts. I waited until he hit level 10 in handiness to do any upgrades so he would do them faster.

I didn't get to practice a lot for this challenge and I'm not used to doing handiness so I made some mistakes. Looking back on it, I realized I wasted too much time having Thor scavenge for parts in bins that could have been used to craft more objects. I also forgot about the Climbing Wall and Talking Toilet and decided the Rocket Ship was too much effort and too expensive.

This was not my favourite challenge (I never want to see another camping mascot as long as I live), but I learned some neat things I hope to use in the future. :)

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
Looking back on it, I realized I wasted too much time having Thor scavenge for parts in bins that could have been used to craft more objects.

How dare ye mortal make the son of Odin perform such lowly and vile behaviors!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »
Posted by: Metropolis Man
« on: Today at 06:52:01 PM » Insert Quote
Quote from: Rainbow Dash on Today at 06:43:35 PM
Looking back on it, I realized I wasted too much time having Thor scavenge for parts in bins that could have been used to craft more objects.

How dare ye mortal make the son of Odin perform such lowly and vile behaviors!

Technically Thor was a mortal in this challenge as life extensions weren't allowed, besides don't you know that the Watcher is a god (At least in the Sims eyes anyway), so I think the roles were reversed.  :P Besides, the Son of Odin has gotta do what he's gotta do to get the job done.

Besides it can't be any worse than getting bit by Caleb.  :P Yeah that happened, I forgot that Vatore's don't take care of their plasma needs on their own. *Sigh* Vampires! *Facepalms* (Although it was funny watching Vlad break into an empty lot, lol).

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
@Rainbow Dash

I don't know if the game mechanics have changed last year but when I did a rotational gameplay challenge, one of my bloodline consisted of vampires.
They all had lots of plasmafruit in their personal inventories. When they (as non-played vampires) would come to dine at my other non-vampire household's restaurant, they would occasionally stand up and politely stick a straw into a plasmafruit and sate their thirst.
Doesn't it still work that way? (Well, in the handiness challenge, you weren't controlling Caleb so that's a moot question, isn't it?  Lol).
I'm leaving this post anyway. o.O

Offline IronicBeauty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
Having done a few test runs (after the challenge was already racking up super high scores) I figured having a sim max NB was the only way to achieve a high upgrade multiplier. I was able to complete it by the first Friday on my scoring file just using the observatory and woodworking table for logic and handiness. I never even considered using clubs as I rarely play with them, but man, if I had I wonder how much higher my score would've been.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
I made my sim an alien for the simply fact that a vampire bite my practice sim. LOL I don't know if vampires can bite aliens or not but they didn't in my next practice so I stuck with it. I didn't even think to do Nerd Brain but I did pick it for start just for the learning boost. I chose loves the outdoors, loner, and genius. First thing I did was went to the library and read to 30% of level 3 in handiness then switched my aspiration to the vampire ones and studied on the computer and leveled to 3 in vampire lore. Once finished at the library I sent my sim home and bought a toilet, sink, fridge, computer, and the upgrade-able item I wasn't able to find around the towns. Switched the aspiration to Leader of the Pack and created a club just adding randoms. I worked on upgrading everything I could on my lot until I completed the 12 hours in a club gathering by then I was past level 7 in handiness so I went to Granite Falls for the schematics. Then I started visiting for upgrades I went to the Bro house, Rasoya house, Lobo house, and then places around the towns that had all the items I needed. If I couldn't go to a house for upgrades or ran low on money for the parts I would just make some mascots and go when I could so I was easily maxed in handiness when I was ready to focus on mascots and I literally just sat there and queued up as many make mascots as I could. When my sim was almost finished with the last one the mascot would disappear from the bench even though she was still working on it and I would queue up a bunch more drinking moodlet solvers when I needed them so needs weren't a worry. That's pretty much it that I can think of. I had to play on normal speed the whole time because my game got all glitching if I fast forwarded which was one of the hardest parts for me.