Author Topic: Kicking Careers into High Gear  (Read 22087 times)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Re: Kicking Careers into High Gear
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
Congrats Nikitachi!
I did quite a bit of research for this one. I had down names of all the townies along with skill levels and starting careers. I weeded through the list and picked the sims I thought had the most potential. I ended up choosing Anaya Jang, Raj Rasoya, Diego Lobo, Lily Feng, Victor Feng, Brant Hecking, and Justin Delgato. I then made a list of the careers I wanted each one to do.
So I started at the library to get the aspiration points for the vampire aspirations without becoming one. I feel they are quick and easy points to obtain. Then I went and befriended the sims I wanted to move in with adding them to the club I created. I moved into their homes and just moved the sims that they already lived with into the house I was moving out of. I ended in the Delgato house because it was huge. One perk was that since I moved in both of the Feng's all their money came with them so that was a huge plus along with Lobo's since he lived alone. That took about a day and a half.
Then I bought the Connections reward and started a career for my starting sim.  I bought the Connections reward for each sim fairly quickly. Then I bought them Entrepreneurial for the help with promotions. All sims worked solely on skills they would need for their careers and the ones I had lined up for them. I used the club for skilling purposes, the promotion boost reward, and the rally troops perk which enabled my sims to never sleep which helped tremendously. At the end I used the club for painting so they would all paint all the time. That's how I made money to use the wishing well I bought. If I had thought of that sooner I could have used the well much more often.  I used the well for skills at first not knowing how it worked but I abandoned that once I realized and used it solely for career promotions.  Since I had a few unexpected level 10 skills from the wishing well I reevaluated my original career choices for each sim. If the sims were already guaranteed a promotion and going to work in the next few hours I didn't use the wishing well due to risk of being fired or demoted which did happen a few times.
These were my careers:
Anaya Jang = Painter(Master of the Real) level 10, Entertainer(Musician) level 10, Writer(Author) level 9
Raj Rasoya = Culinary(Chef) level 10, Critic(Food Critic) level 10
Diego Lobo = Critic(Art Critic) level 10, Painter(Patron of the Arts) level 10
Lily Feng Business(Management) level 10, Entertainer(Comedian) level 8
Victor Feng Politician(Politician) level 10, Social Media(Public Relations) level 7
Brant Hecking = Athlete(Bodybuilder) level 10, Culinary(Mixologist) level 10
Justin Delgato = Business(Investor) level 10, Secret Agent(Diamond Agent) level 8, Politician(Charity Organizer) level 5
Corbin Wheeler = Tech Guru(eSport Gamer) level 10, Astronaut(Space Ranger) level 6
I did make many mistakes. I didn't look at the scoring system too well so when I was in a hurry I changed Justin's career thinking he would get more points for a level 5 then just advancing to a level 9 which was wrong. I didn't use the wishing well as well as I should have. And I had my sim going to work when I knew the chances of a promotion were slim. Which I should have kept them home and used the well more often. At the end I had Corbin leave work early missing the promotion he was guaranteed so he could use the wishing well which ended up demoting him. He would have been a level 8 otherwise. I didn't use the club for painting until the very end which would have help support more well usage.
That's really all I can think of. I really liked this challenge. I learned a bit I didn't know as I don't work with careers all that often. I also learned a little about the wishing well which I had never used before. However the outcome seems very random.

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Congratulations Nikitachi for you win, and everyone who made it through 8 sims to manage. I once dreamed I had to restart it because I played in normal lifespan, thankfully, it was only a nightmare.

For me, this one was needing a lot of research first to find which sims had hight skill level and carreer.

First "house" was a barren plot of land in oasis spring. Starting sim created a club with "be friendly with everyone" as activity and bought the popular club perk to get it easier to make friends. She then went to enroll Penny Pizzazz, Victor Feng, Anaya Jang, Raj Rasoya, Diego Lobo, Brant Hecking, and Salim Benali. Each sim added to the house helped getting the others, and by the end of sunday, I had my 8 sims.
As soon Diego joined the household, I had them move to his old appartement, so we could have mood related area, lot of computers and such without caring for bills as price stayed the same. Also, work from home tasks for the city living carreers I played before often needed to happen in that part of town.

As I didn't wanted to spoil perks points in buying more place in the club, I created a second one for the more "artistic" roomates.
Both clubs quickly had "rally the troops" "work network" and the charisma perks. then I bought skill boosts depending on skills I needed them to get.
I then had more "mood oriented" clubs as time went on.

I switched a lot between aspirations, to try to get more points for everyone and buy as soon as possible the Entrepreneurial trait, then the connection one.
I used podiums for charisma maxing, as it could be a club task. Programmation was the next skil they all maxed.

I was also very disappointed to realise sims couldn't max both branch of a career, so most of my plans had to change. I usually picked the ones with work days the next day.

In add of the charisma "ask for bonus" and programmation "hack work performance" I used the wishing well. I would have probably done better if I had used it more, but at first I was a bit afraid as I had some bad results. in the end, I was more "not much to loose".

As stated above, I saved and quit when no one was at work or they would come back without promotion. Also, everyone was a young adult but Victor. So, he, among some others, maxed bodybuilder and only died one or two days before the end.

There were only 2 outings during the whole game. One with everyone, to the gym so they all could check the "work out at gym" part of bodybuilder, and one to a museum for Anaya, Diego and Salim, who were working on the painter extraordinary aspiration. They dragged Penny along so she could shout out and get followers. Also, I learned the art center doesn't count as museum for the aspiration (or at least, the larges paintings on first floor don't.)

In add of clubs, I used the coffee pot and teapot to get the right mood.

Penny maxed Social Media TV reality star and Tech Guru start up, and went up to astronaut level 6
Victor maxed Politic national leader, went up to level 6 in business (investor branch) but made too slow progress, so he turned to Tech Guru/Esport he maxed and he was able to get up to level 6 of secret agent.
Anaya took forever to max Painting/Master of the Real then she maxed scientist, she should have gone to mixology, but there were always 3 day between her maxing a career and that one first day of work. I sent her to secret agent, but the well didn't promoted her and she hadn't time to go to work.
Raj Maxed culinary Chef, then Food Critic, and was sent to criminal as it was the last days so level 6 in the Boss career. He was also the one I hated the most as he kept painting when I needed him to do anything else.
Brant maxed sport/bodybuilder, then the politic/charity carreer thanks to hight charisma, incredibly friendly reward and a donation club. he didn't had time for a promotion in his astronaut carreer
Diego maxed Art Critic, and only got to level 8 of social media/public relations.
Latty my sim, maxed Business Management, and was level 7 of her carreer as professional athlete.
Salim was the most unlucky sim. I forgot to buy entrepreunarial at first, so he was promoted slower than the others, and he had the worst luck with hacking performance and the wishing well. He actually got demoted once. I finally realised we were fighting a lost cause so he quitted author at level 9, and went to the painter career, reaching level 6. He was one I had picked more because I liked him than for his skills, and it didn't worked well. At least, his books gave us a nice supply of money to spend on the well.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
Congratulations @Nikitachi!

My strategy was much like @MomOfMany, including moving in many of the same people and ending in the Delgato household.  I also included Victor and Lily Feng, Raj Rasoya and Anaya Jang, but I also included Penny Pizzaz, Baako Jang, and Billie Jang. 

Some of the Sims had high career levels, but didn't have the skills to support that (e.g. Baako is Level 9 Entertainer-Comedian but has no comedy skill, and Penny is Level 8 Internet Personality but has no followers).  In those cases, I had them quit the job immediately and just took the score for that level rather than spend a lot of days getting the skills up for one more promotion; they focused instead on getting Connections and starting a new job.  I also got them all Entrepreneurial, and sometimes Morning Sim and Night Owl - but only if they had significant skilling to do; otherwise I found they had enough time and I saved the points for potions.

I used the wishing well only for career advancement - I haven't really experimented with it to see if this is true, but it seems like I get much better results when the sim already has all the requirements for the next level completed and is in a really good mood - all bars full green.  I got several instant promotions from the well, and it seemed like at least half the time I got the "green" response, which is a guaranteed promotion after the next shift if the tasks are done.  I only got the "orange" response (lowering the performance to poor) three times, and the "smoky" (take care of you in next review period) a few times.  I went to the well as early as possible so that I'd have time for the sim to go back before the next shift if the response was bad.  I only got an "orange" response once when there wasn't time to go back to the well before the next shift, and I had that sim take a vacation day and go back to the well in the middle of the shift. 

Most of the time, my sim went to work with the performance bar already full and the checkmark checked, thanks to the wishing well. 

I used clubs for skilling and Rally the Troops; and tried to slot sims into professions that matched skills they already had.

Overall, this challenge was fun; I didn't have enough time to devote to it to get it finished, but I enjoyed playing it.  I like full, busy houses, but I have to say, this one was really, really busy, so it will be nice to have a simpler, quicker one following it.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
That is my second win here, and again, it only happened because the most powerful players didn't complete the challenge...

Sorry for being slow with my strategy, I've been sick for the past couple of days.
Actually, my strategy is pretty much similar to the one described by MomOfMany.
I also took some time to check all the townies (thanks to the information on this forum, it didn't take long), and chose 7 townies: Anaya Jang, Raj Rasoya, Diego Lobo, Lily Feng, Victor Feng, Penny Pizzazz and Jacques Villareal. The club helped them to stay mostly within the green needs' bars, and learn skills faster. Their money helped to complete most of the Mansion Baron aspiration and some of the Fabulously Wealthy one - that helped all the sims to get 3000 aspiration points and buy Connections (though, for Diego and Raj, I initially bought Creative Visionary because they could carry on for some time with their starting careers. All the others played with the Wishing Well (it helped some of them get an extra promotion), then these sims quit their careers and joined new ones (I did that because most of them needed something like level 10 in a certain skill and they actually had 0, so I decided not to waste time). After that, it was pretty much straightforward - learn necessary skills, go to work, learn level 10 Charisma to "ask for a bonus", and use the Wishing Well when possible. Diego and Raj were our main money-makers by painting, so we could afford the 5,000 gambles for the Wishing well. Also, since Jacques was already Elder at the moment of start, I turned him into a Vampire so he won't die soon. Later he also turned the Fengs because they became Elders when all the others became Adults. Everything else was pretty much basic.

If you need me to write down all the particular careers and branches my sims did, I will. Just ask.
Thank you!

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
That is my second win here, and again, it only happened because the most powerful players didn't complete the challenge...

This is so not true @Nikitachi so please don't put down your incredible win in that way. You have a very well thought out strategy and obviously executed it well. I wouldn't have even thought to turn the elders into vampires to be honest so would have missed the easy points from Jacques. That was ace thinking.

It would be interesting to know what careers you chose for each sim please if you don't mind.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 12:38:57 PM »

This is so not true @Nikitachi so please don't put down your incredible win in that way. You have a very well thought out strategy and obviously executed it well. I wouldn't have even thought to turn the elders into vampires to be honest so would have missed the easy points from Jacques. That was ace thinking.

It would be interesting to know what careers you chose for each sim please if you don't mind.

@Nikitachi I agree with @cyclonenic   I specifically avoided Jacques Villareal because of his age - it never occurred to me to turn him into a vampire.  At this point in the life of the game, a lot is known - so it often is that one or two things that you think of that no one else thinks of that makes the difference. 

Congratulations on a well-deserved win!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
If you need me to write down all the particular careers and branches my sims did, I will. Just ask.
Thank you!

No need to even ask that. We do. ;) If you look at the length of prior champion's write-ups you can get an idea of how much detail some go into.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:51 AM »
Okay, it's here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fxeKQ3fbuoFv9_yp3ONZA0J2QilXyHpMPcI5KbKXWXw/edit?usp=sharing
Nothing special there, and very much alike to the abovementioned solutions of other players :)

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:29 AM »
It's nice to see I was moving in the right direction - just not far enough or fast enough.

I created the initial Sim (Johannes Factotum)  and I too picked up Anaya, Penny, Raj, Victor & Lily, and Diego in that order.  Because when someone moves in with you and sells all their stuff, the money they bring counts as money earned and so the people who joined the commune early ended up most of the way to Fabulously Wealthy on day 1.  They moved into the apartment next to the one Diego abandoned (4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and a really big closet which became a bathroom), so they were also well on their way to Mansion Baron.  They also all joined the club (for skilling and convenient mood alteration - though again, I should have used two or even three clubs instead of one.  I'll learn that lesson one day)  I also added Miko because she seemed like a good idea.

It was really nice not to have to worry about money for a challenge.  Between the money they came in with and the money they made at work, the answer to "Is there enough money for this?" was nearly always "yes."

I made Johannes an author - so that he could write BoLs for people and help restore them when they were at work (I think this was helpful some times). They also did a lot of negotiating for bonuses.  I tried hacking a few times, but it was far more misses than hits and I ended up regretting it a lot more than being happy about it.

It was really interesting to play some careers I'd not yet gotten around to trying.  I tried "Internet Personality" during a test file, and that seems impossible.  Charity Organizer was interesting, but I had to quit as I never got the hang of the work-from-home careers.  Sometimes they seemed to get promoted at the end of the shift, sometimes the next day, sometimes several days after.  I could never figure out what was going on and so I don't think I handled them efficiently as possible.  Without this, I'm not sure when I would get around to trying a lot of these jobs.  I'm glad I had a reason to.

There were very few things as frustrating as having someone almost get promoted and come home with their job performance deep in dark green, but not far enough for the check mark.  It was nerve wracking when that was the beginning of several days off for them.   It was intensely annoying to see them earn the promotion 45 minutes into a 6+ hour shift the next time they went to work.   This happened more than once.    Also frustrating, negotiating a raise and then hacking it away.  (Happened more than once).  And finding out that there's a bug that sometimes brings apartment dwellers home midday if you go into CAS or travel.  And watching Lily and Victor die (after long and fruitful lives and careers) and tanking everyone else's last minute promotions for the final days of the challenge because even with every thing I could think of, they were still too sad for their job performance to go up.

Huge thank you to @oshizu  (who I think put together the resident information!)
And congratulations @Nikitachi !!

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
@SueDenim I like internet personality, with level 10 charisma, you get the "diffuse viral video" that brings usually around 1 million followers, and the "diffuse video game streaming" at Penny's level of the career/video game skill brought 720 000 followers and you can stop the action as soon as it starts as time doesn't change the number of follower brought.
I'm not sure if it's tied to charisma, number of follower or career level, but the "shout out" option brought her a lot of followers too (but in another save, a sim at the start of career and not much charisma only got 15 people). so hopping to several places around town help getting the missing followers quickly.

Also, Victor had his own room (locked to everyone but him) as elder, so he could die without disturbing anyone.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
Also, Victor had his own room (locked to everyone but him) as elder, so he could die without disturbing anyone.

Okay, that deserves a LOL. :)

Offline Kirstie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
Well crap, I forgot to post my score. But I really enjoyed this challenge and I'm having fun reading everyone else's strategies :)

- Kirstie

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
and the "diffuse video game streaming" at Penny's level of the career/video game skill brought 720 000 followers and you can stop the action as soon as it starts as time doesn't change the number of follower brought.

That’s what I did. I’d queue up 7 of those Stream Game actions and dismiss them as quickly as she got started on them. I had the 25 million followers in less than 5 real minutes that way.

This is genius!

@SueDenim, love your sim’s name. Factotum = “Jack of all trades,” does it not? My sim started as a writer so I called her Cristy Agatha Scrivener. I put as much thought into their names as I do anything else. I’d probably do a lot better on the actual challenges if I didn’t spend so much time getting my sim’s names and appearances right, lol.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »
I considered turning the Feng's into vampires but thought it would be against the rules since it extends life. I did read someone else ask if they could move in a vampire and given the green light but I interpreted it as meaning since they were already vampires it was ok. I was going to ask but I didn't have time to wait for an answer as it was already Sunday. I figured better safe than sorry but now I know I should have asked! And I strongly considered Jacques Villareal and even did my practice with him but since he was elder at the start I figured it wouldn't be worth it. I love the idea of locking Victor in a room to die so he didn't disturb anyone else. LOL That would have been extremely helpful. And I wanted Baako as well as Anaya but didn't want to deal with a child and wasn't sure if aging them up was aloud so decided not to bother with it. Now Penny was not even on my radar and I am really wondering why at this point since so many used her but I honestly don't even remember her being listed on my sheet I think I somehow skipped over her completely.

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2018, 03:10:04 AM »
Now Penny was not even on my radar and I am really wondering why at this point since so many used her but I honestly don't even remember her being listed on my sheet I think I somehow skipped over her completely.

Penny is probably the most skilled sim in the game :) lvl 8 job, lvl 8 char, lvl 7 vgaming, lvl 7 cooking, lvl 6 comedy and lvl 5 programming. She would have been great for business, entertainer and tech guru career from the get go.