Author Topic: RTX 2070 still makes sims 4 use only 32mb vram?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline maramsp

• Nooboo
RTX 2070 still makes sims 4 use only 32mb vram?
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »
Hey all,

I was building in the sims 4, and after a couple of hours, the game crashed out of nowhere.
Since then i was trying to read on the internet if the problem that was with the sims 3 about graphic cards, also was present in the sims 4.
I found out that the sims 4 also makes use of a grapicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr.
So ive tried looking for a config file in documents\electronic arts\the sims 4 and found one.
It said that my card, the rtx 2070 (gigabyte windforce 8g in case its nessecary) was found and supported.
But when opening the graphicsrules.sgr, ive found the following:

log "Parsing configuration script"
set ConfigGroup Config
setb textureMemorySizeOK true
if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory       32
    setb textureMemorySizeOK false

This would mean i think my sims 4 is forced to run with 32 mb memory, however i found the performance ingame with everything maxed out, not to be bad.

So ive changed things to

set ConfigGroup Config
if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory       8031
#    setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Does this means now that everything is set with this settings? Or do i need to change something else?

I dont have the time yet to try a long sims 4 session out myself, cause real life is calling out.

So was i right that the sims 4 was forced to run with 32mb vram only with the initial setting? Or did it use all my vram cause i didnt experienced that much of lag while having the sims 4 maxed out at first?

Hopefully someone can clarify this, and for now im gonna lower the AA a bit, to improve performance more, although it should not be needed, cause the rtx2070 should be able to say something like "hold my beer" to the sims 4.

Anyways, ive created this topic in the hope someone could give more info about this, cause i dont wanna experience that much crashes again...

And yes, i do know that i just gotta save as. quite a lot :)

For now, thanks all for thinking aloud with me.

Cheers, Mara

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: RTX 2070 still makes sims 4 use only 32mb vram?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 02:31:11 AM »
It isn't suggested to set the texture memory that high (8031) You might try 2048, like in the example below.

set ConfigGroup Config
if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory       2048

If you care to get a 2nd option on this please ask over AHQ Sims 4 Tech Board. They may be able to answer your questions better and give better details.

AHQ's Sims 4 Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline maramsp

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:40:24 AM »
It isn't suggested to set the texture memory that high (8031) You might try 2048, like in the example below.

set ConfigGroup Config
if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory       2048

If you care to get a 2nd option on this please ask over AHQ Sims 4 Tech Board. They may be able to answer your questions better and give better details.

AHQ's Sims 4 Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

Would it be possible to eleborate on why it isnt suggested to set 8031?

Normally with games its absolutely no problem to give it access to all the vram the gpu has.

So would it be different for the sims 4?

Thanks in advance again :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:37:26 AM »
It's my understanding it's because it wasn't made to see all that memory and could end up hurting the video card. However, I can't seem to verify this information, so it may be best to ask over at AHQ's Sims 4 Tech Help Board for confirmation or more details. :)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline maramsp

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »
have tried now for a few hours with 8031 set in the override config, and it seems to be working quite well.
Havent had a crash yet after 4/5 hours of building... So either im lucky, or having changed this to 8031 have worked :)

anything