Author Topic: The Bucket List Challenge: Whims before Grim  (Read 16022 times)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Re: The Bucket List Challenge: Whims before Grim
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »
A couple of other things I forgot to mention:
  • When working on Chief of Mischief and needing Sims to dislike your sim, but your sim is Incredibly Friendly, use Rude Introduction to prevent starting at high friendship
  • When working on the Grilled Cheese aspiration, your sim has to eat 3 full servings to unlock the aspiration but after that, you can fulfill the "Eat x # Grilled Cheese" by having your sim eat a bite, cancel, eat another bite, cancel, etc. Each time the sim starts to eat, it counts towards the total.

Offline Rinkils

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »
@GlazeyLady @christinal3106 Congratulations, some great min-maxing (not sure if that`s a word) skills on your part.

I thought after completing just three aspirations for both Sims (did LOTP, FOTW and SM, too) I was pretty much done with completable aspirations, and spent the last two days just focusing on whims, while mining other aspirations for easy points (completed the first two tiers of FW, MChef and MMix; also bought kids` stuff for $1000 - things like that).

As for whims, apart from the bear in the woods scenario and cycling through aspirations to hopefully trigger new whims, I also utilized resetting club vibes when I got stuck with emotional whims that I could not / did not want to do. Towards the end, that was the only thing I could do, because both my contestants got fixated on 2 nonemotional whims that were impossible to do due to a bug.

I guess my main downfall was not thinking brave enough in terms of how many aspirations can be done in 5 days. Also, I am still learning a lot about the game, thanks to this forum and the guide mainly.

I just discovered this lately and this was the first challenge I have ever done, but it is a gold mine of fun. So great job everyone and a thank you to the team (sorry for probably butchering English here).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »
I just discovered this lately and this was the first challenge I have ever done, but it is a gold mine of fun. So great job everyone and a thank you to the team (sorry for probably butchering English here).

Your English is awesome. And Rinkils, you really deserve a special round of applause for doing so well in your virgin event. Well done. I am assuming you'll post a score for the current Major and you'll earn a World Ranking since that event counts as two events.

Offline Rinkils

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

Your English is awesome. And Rinkils, you really deserve a special round of applause for doing so well in your virgin event. Well done. I am assuming you'll post a score for the current Major and you'll earn a World Ranking since that event counts as two events.

Thank you very much. There are so many kind people on this forum. ;)
Yes, I am already practicing for the Major, and let me tell you, I do not expect much from myself, as I have never played with businesses other than retail, but I would like to do it for the fun of it, as much as my baby allows me to. I am also looking forward to watching and learning from the stars of the show, so I will follow, even if I could not find the time to participate.

Offline simemie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
Reading through the strategies it looks like I accidentally did something good - my sims lived in tents and the lot was almost exclusively filled with Outdoor Retreat stuff, as if they were camping. They too spawned quite a few whims to buy things (which I then sold straight away), but the only reason I did it this way was because I was too lazy to build a house. Looks like laziness served me well for once :P

Offline Rinkils

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
Reading through the strategies it looks like I accidentally did something good - my sims lived in tents and the lot was almost exclusively filled with Outdoor Retreat stuff, as if they were camping. They too spawned quite a few whims to buy things (which I then sold straight away), but the only reason I did it this way was because I was too lazy to build a house. Looks like laziness served me well for once :P
A better name for laziness to build is parsimony, and should be considered a virtue for performance oriented play. Couple with Loves the outdoors to kill 2 birds with one stone. ;)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
A better name for laziness to build is parsimony, and should be considered a virtue for performance oriented play. Couple with Loves the outdoors to kill 2 birds with one stone. ;)

Absolutely. I miss Nutella. She was unquestionably on par with the best players and a big proponent of the bear in the woods living method and how it impacted "performance oriented play." No walls = less walking = more doing. Whatever doing that may be for a challenge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 12:10:56 AM »
Congrats @GlazeyLady  - getting your club to build you a rocket ship is genius!  And your plan to talk to the Grim Reaper about cheese sandwiches shows a level of commitment that I need to embrace in these challenges.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:02 AM »
Congrats @GlazeyLady  - getting your club to build you a rocket ship is genius!  And your plan to talk to the Grim Reaper about cheese sandwiches shows a level of commitment that I need to embrace in these challenges.

Thank you @SueDenim - I actually got the rocket idea from the 2017 Skills to Pay the Bills Challenge.  I had a club of painters creating art to hang on the wall to boost the lot value, and I had my sim building a rocket, with both painting and rocket science as club activities.  My painters had not been distracted from their painting by anything else, but as soon as I added Rocket Science as a club activity, they were constantly running off to help build the rocket.   And the only way I know to have a conversation with Grim is to kill off a sim; there are lots of ways to do that, but the easiest is swimming in a pool with a wall around it - once you build the wall, you just go on with whatever else you want to do, and it doesn't really take all that long - starving a sim takes much longer and everything else requires more work.  With drowning, you just have to remember not to leave the lot - if you leave the lot, the walled-in swimmer escapes.  But I do find that I can't quite bring myself to kill off the residents - the ones that are always part of a new game.  I had to fill the club with game-generated sims so there was no risk of killing off one of the sims that I "know".  ;)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
Congratulations on winning GlazeyLady!  Great strategy 8).