Author Topic: Babs L'Amour builds a 20x15 house.  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Babs L'Amour builds a 20x15 house.
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
This isn't deserving of a story, but I really like the house and thought I'd share it.

For a while it was a generic, normal small brick house, but inspiration struck and here we are. It was a rags-to-riches type thing. I cheated the money to 0, and there are early pictures of Babs (who I'd never used) fishing in a thunderstorm. I thought she'd get struck by lightning and die on day 1. But she didn't. The weather has certainly made these start-from-nothing attempts more interesting, and more dangerous, and more uncomfortable for the starting sim.

The house. It's a tiny 20x15 lot in Newcrest. This was to test the new gardening mechanics and eventually I signed Babs up for the gardening career. It's a 3 bedroom (all en suite) house. And the bedrooms are a grand 5x7 tiles. One of them is on the first basement level. All bedrooms have fireplaces. The ice skating rink takes up the lowest basement level. The dark-haired girl is Babs' love child with Morty Goth, lately deceased from old age. The red head man is the new +1, and once I fixed his pear shape in CAS, was hoping for a red-haired kid. (No luck.) He was quickly pressed into service as a Mad Scientist pursuing the Nerd Brain aspiration, and we just put the rocket on the deck - removing the glass roof for a short time. Currently there are some plants in a room in the basement, but they're not necessary. One could live with just growing orchids. And maybe carrots and strawberries.

As an aside. Patches Mk.1 got fried by lightning. Babs was romantic with Patches Mk.1 When we replaced him with a new Patches Mk.2 from buy mode, when he came to life he was the same sim with the same romance bar.

I'll add more interior pictures in the fullness of time.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Re: Babs L'Amour builds a 20x15 house.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
Top floor.

Those en suite bathrooms use the City Living fancy toilets that obviate the need for a sink - "use and sanitize". So there's a bath, shower, and toilet in a 3x2 space.

Ground floor:

I deliberately left the build mode grid lines on. Some lurker might think this is an interesting house. It's easy to see the dimensions of everything. And easy to replicate. I think the plant room / greenhouse is interesting... but change the windows there and it would feel very different.

Basement level:

I'm finding the plants to be unnecessary now, and things will change. One of the focus rooms might become a home spa. I like the music room. :) Below this is the ice skating rink.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
Oh, that's a beautifull house, it looks so large despite being on the smaller lot size.

I specialy love the garden with the open windows, and all the small decorations I never think to use.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
Thank you for sharing this house with us. It is truly a wonderful house!
So small, yet still including all the essentials plus elegant to boot!
As always, the dining room is lovely--the color combinations are great: the white and grey tones with the look-at-me floor rug.

I was wondering why you built an ice skating rink on the B2 floor. So you could enjoy it year-round without a loading screen?
I've only played seasons for 10 days so far (LOL) and have only experienced spring and a most horrid summer.
During a toddler playdate at a park I placed on Mid-Town Meadows, however, a skating rink (and food stall) popped up at a no-build lot nearby.
It's that empty area west of Fern Park and south of the picnic/grilling area with 3 monkey bars. I've already placed houses in all the lots in northern Newcrest.
I haven't visited the rink yet. Anyway, I'm curious as to the benefits of an at-home rink.

Also, you mentioned that a garden wasn't necessary "now" in that particular home. (Blasphemy! Lol)
Is it because of the aspirations/careers you've chosen for the sims who live there? You don't need plants for those Scientist serums?
Another great house @Heart Foam !

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
  • Hi I'm Anna its nice to meet you
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
I love the way you did the greenhouse with the Archways and glass roof it looks cool as heck!!
Gallery Id: Soda_Stealer

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
@wa-wa-world Thanks. I reckon it's very cool. Usually the garden there would be outdoors, but it was built because the sims were slipping in the mud and spent half the morning in the bath. There's supposed to be a flower arrangement scented to keep the bees calm on that little table.

@oshizu As for home ice skating... why not! :) It's a really great lot. There's fishing, there's a food stall year-round, there's good harvestable flowers for a florist. And rollerskating / ice skating every season except fall, there's monkey bars for the kids' aspiration. So the home rink is a needless extravagance... because there's not even a loading screen for this family normally. But I've had small homes before, and even so, the B2 level is hardly used. This fills it up so nicely.

Sigh. The scientist career with the current garden situation. That's... much pain. The plants at the lab seem to be useless now because it's impossible to be at the lab when it's time to grow fruit. Getting all the serums now takes much more planning. Even being able to complete the daily tasks takes a lot of planning and foresight.

The plants - specifically the flowers - are unnecessary because Babs has maxed the florist branch and changed careers. We don't have orchids, but I can see that when we get some, that's all that's needed. But even then, as a money making enterprise we have the money tree. And there's no daily requirement now to arrange flowers. So there's all this plant maintenance for no real benefit. Herbalism plants, or veggies might be better at this stage. I don't like having plants in 3 different places, so it'll be neater to not have plants on B1. What I have learned is that the Chemical Analyser is a good way to improve plant levels.

@Tynynounours I had to double check my pictures to see these decorations of which you speak! I'm not a compulsive decorator by any means. But I'm conscious of empty spaces that need breaking up. The bubbles above the sauna makes me laugh. The outside of the house has had some minor tweaks that make a difference. Ivy has moved. Drainpipes have moved.   

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »
Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.
Forgive me for shamelessly pumping you for information because you have so obviously experienced more of Seasons than I have! ;D
By the way, how did you find the Florist career? Any must-have promotion reward objects?
Did I already say that I really love this house?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
Any must-have promotion reward objects?

Nothing at all. The rewards are mostly base game items that aren't even locked. And yet another way to get the "Single Rose". The main gameplay perks are from leveling the skill itself.

Yes, I think you mentioned you liked it. It's not everyone's idea of simming. Here we are on a 20x15 lot paying bills of $20k.

A few more pics from around Winterfest.

So that's quite similar to an earlier pic, but shelves were put up above the TV - the games console doesn't fit below - and it feels less bare.

-- The wall above didn't look quite right before. With the drainpipes oddly framing it. To me this is a big improvement.

And this side of the house, which was already busier, didn't need anything on the walls.

So money making is stupidly easy with flower arranging and gardening. Babs even got a 1k+ fridge as a present from Father Winter. (Otherwise we'd probably still have a Crisponix Adequate and a Yum Cooker.)   

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
Are you suggesting that you built that extravagant house based mostly on the powers of growing flowers and selling floral arrangements?
Wow!

No nooboo with Father Winter? haha

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 04:59:43 AM »
Pretty much. And I wasn't aggressively farming points for the money tree either. Doing a yard sale of masterpiece flower arrangements would've surely made many thousands of simoleons more. That's something I still want to test with the save. Not in a blizzard or thunderstorm. Camden - the red man - didn't bring any simoleons with him because he's part of a family from Umbrage Manor. (With a super attractive rando NPC sister who I couldn't let die and so I made her a vampire.) 

I like the gold colour of the money tree. Just for decoration, I'm thinking of them as an avenue at Windmilles & Wine. I love Comfy Cubby, it's full of charm and very well appointed. But you can't do glorious double volume ceilings for the big chandeliers. You can't do a lot of things that are possible on a 64x64. We both, and every other player, have nice pools at Hound's Head, for example. I tried to have a pool here. But an indoor pool would take up space on B1 and B2 and that's too much. I did place one, and try to arrange rooms, but it wasn't worth it. The skating builds fitness and fun, so gameplay-wise it's comparable, and it doesn't take away space on two levels.

Either Heidi or Edith L'Amour can live up to the name and seduce Father Winter. I haven't had a nooboo with him yet, but it's something most simmers must be thinking of. I've also thought of eventually plopping this house and bunch of sims into the Eugenics II world. Maybe Katherine and Giancarlo can have a son, and he can marry one of these girls. (The one that doesn't get Father Winter.) Sounds like a plan.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Part of the basement level was a bit of a mess. I cleared out many plants that we didn't need, bought many rare seed packets and now the family has orchids and most of the plants Camden needs for his science career all growing in the 4 planters in the greenhouse. So that freed up the space in the basement. It was rough and unfinished.

Across from the sauna is the new massage room. The science and woodworking and school projects happen where the plants used to be. I want to add this picture just for the sake of completion. This part of the house wasn't done properly. This is pretty cool. To me at least. :) And there's a calming waterfall-y noise. And it's such low-effort decorating!

As an aside: in a blizzard, Patches came to life and autonomously used the sauna. I guess he was cold.

In fact, when I threw a birthday party during the same blizzard, 4 of the guests went to the sauna to warm up.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
Really wonderful build!  I love doing up and down on small lots builds but you have created a masterpiece!  I particularly like the kitchen.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Jase~

• Occult
  • Legacy Player
    • Jase's Sims
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
Wow... That's a beautiful house!
I've always struggled getting everything I want into 20x15 lots. Awesome work!

You can read it here from the beginning.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 05:00:12 AM »
Realm of Magic brought me back to this house. This started in Seasons. You may remember a bug at the time, in the big gardening overhaul, that caused wild plants to spread. Where there was one onion plant, there were now 9. That was the case in this save, and that was frustrating. But the spells infurniate and scrubaroo can solve that, as I learned from the many wild trash plants in my Eugenics II save.

So I made Bab's daughter a spellcaster to do the magical cleanup of wild plants. I first thought I'd just try be a spellcaster without a cauldron, but the scientist in the house soon died and a few of the science items were no longer needed. That became the magic room.

The second picture, showing the whole floor, is slightly older. Fewer potions on the shelves. For decorative flavour, those two handmade pots will be for mandrake and valerian.

I had duplicates of some flowers in front, and I ended up changing the entrance to the gardening area. It's no longer through the dining room, sims have to go outside.

So the dining room now has some big windows and curtains, and no door along that wall. So I think this looks better, cleaner, neater, more elegant.

And the stairs to the skating rink (this is just the coolest house) now fit into the corner of the room. Looks better, and now there's room for 4 potted (fake?) trees. Park benches were also changed.

Unrelated to a building thread, but this save also has an alien toddler by abduction. 

Also, use magic to improve poor quality honey. If you want.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Albert12

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 03:44:19 AM »
I love the way you did the greenhouse with the Archways and glass roof it looks cool as heck!!