Author Topic: Difference between Game Packs and Stuff/Expansion Packs?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Difference between Game Packs and Stuff/Expansion Packs?
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:44:11 AM »
So, despite my past experiences of being unable to play Sims 4 without deaths occurring quickly and being unable to build or properly controlling the sims despite my best efforts, I'm giving it another go. I see that while Sims 4 has Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs like Sims 3, it also has Game Packs. I'm guessing that Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs are similar in function to Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs from Sims 3.

1 Is that correct (that Sims 4 stuff packs are similar to Sims 3 stuff packs and Sims 4 expansion packs are similar to Sims 3 expansion packs)?

2 What are Game Packs and how are they different to Stuff/Expansion Packs?

3 Are Game Packs the Sims 4 version of the Sims 3 Store, with its premium content, sets and store worlds or something totally different?

4 Does Sims 4 have something similar to the Sims 3 Store and something like Sim Points?

Many thanks - Dek

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Re: Difference between Game Packs and Stuff/Expansion Packs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:11:46 AM »
A brief reply:

1. Yes
2. GPs usually have too much content to be called a SP, but not nearly enough to be called an EP
3. GPs tend to come with more new gameplay features than Sims 3 store worlds, and are also more than just a few new interactive objects
4. No
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:31:31 AM »
Thanks Nindingo.

The controls seem easier now than when Sims 4 first came out. I am playing the tutorial, so it could be that, but have they done some kind of overhaul of the controls?

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:12:09 AM »
Not that I'm aware of. But they have added a first-person view mode.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Going to work
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »
Thanks again Nindigo.

A different problem now. My sim has a job and I need to send him to work. The tutorial is saying I need to send him to work during the hour before he is due to start. I've been trying to, but I don't seem to see a 'go to work' option. I've been clicking on the ground around the house, I've looked at the career tab, I've been talking to his housemate, I've even tried clicking on the road to see if an option go to work comes up. How do I get my sim to go to work?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
He should just go to work automatically when it's time, all Sims do. If he doesn't clicking on the little envelope icon in the interface should open up the career panel and you should be able to send him to work by clicking the button in the top left hand corner there. (Looks like a Sim sitting behind a desk).

If you are struggling learning how to play the game, Deligracy made a couple of tutorials for people just getting started, I'm sure if you do a search for Sims 4 tutorials on Youtube, they should turn up.

But honestly, just explore the userface and click on everything in the game, best way to learn, lol.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »
Ah, the Sims 4 is different when it comes to work. Sims don't leave until the exact hour when their work schedule begin. There is no carpool either. They just disappear to wherever their workplace is at (in another dimension). You can't even see it. Unless it's one of the jobs where you follow the Sim. But even then, outside work hours, you can't actually go there. I was confused big time about this when I started to play Sims 4 as well.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
Oh I see ... the instructions given in the Sims 4 Tutorial seemed to suggest that in the hour before your work started you had to click on the sim or on the ground or something to tell them to go to work. But the moment that work started, off Fluffin McFluffin was whisked for his career.

Because I'm doing the tutorial, most of the user interface is greyed out and 'disabled by the tutorial', but normally I would be learning through clicking everything (I think that's how my sims probably kept on dying previously in Sims 4). But I managed to raise writing skill and was successful in planting seeds that the Fluffmeister was given.

Thanks for your help Nindigo and Rainbow Dash

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
Have you switched to using the Sims 3 Camera mode? I only use that mode as it is much easier to manage imo.
Options Menu>Game Options>Game Camera>The Sims 3 Camera: (check box).  You may not be able to access these options in the tutorial mode.

My take on the Game Packs, often they represent more value for money (kinda) than the expansion packs, they are narrower in content and more focused around that one central theme. Many do come with a new world.

As for a Store no, but there are some really neat fan made "stuff pack" CC out there that adds small amounts of game play as well as decorative items.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »
@Deklitch If you are having trouble building but want to give it a shot, The SimSupply has a playlist of some good building tutorials over on Youtube. Or you could just be lazy like me and download from the gallery, lol.  (I'm terrible at building). :P

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 02:55:12 AM »
Thank you Rainbow Dash. I'll check that out.

anything