Author Topic: 10th Anniversary  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
10th Anniversary
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:43:39 PM »
I'm making this post really late, but it's still barely the day in my part of the world. Today the forum turned 10 years old. It's been a pretty amazing experience to have met so many friends here, many of whom I still talk to on a regular basis. What's especially fantastic is that I know this experience I have had is hardly unique. A lot of people have met others with common interests here and forged friendships, while creating a truly friendly and helpful community around The Sims.

It's kind of funny I ended up stuck working on a thoroughly busted comments system last night, as 10 years ago the reason Pam and I decided we should have a forum is because it was too much to manage and so poorly organized. Sure I like having the ability to share a quick thought on a guide page, but we saw there was more than enough activity to support an entire community and set out to do that. We met some very nice people who kept coming back and quickly found others who could help us manage it all. We met Metro, who was doing diablo 2 challenges on another forum back then and he offered to make some for TS3, which was a big hit. The tournament gradually developed out of these, became a mainstay and has been an annual thing ever since. Things happened so fast that nearly everything this place is known for turned 10 around the same time.

Community members have come and gone but you've nearly always been supportive and friendly to one another.  I guess the expectation that you should treat people kindly attracts decent people.  :)

There are some special things going on right now. The challenge team have made a special 10th anniversary scavenger hunt and associated party.

Because so much of our server stuff was also 10 years old, I've been modernizing it and introduced a news system that lets me quickly post something to the site without going through all the html markup and uploading I'd normally have to do.  I'll still do it old-school for guides, but it's something that helps a lot when you want to make it another 10 years with rapidly expanding responsibilities. The YouTube channel is now over a year old, which is shocking to me. I seem to be getting old enough that I get that same old, "time is flying" thing every person of age seems to experience. I was a young man a few years out of high school when I started making guides, yet now I'm a few short years away from 40.

Seems like I've been reflecting on all of the things that have happened for the past month in anticipation of making some post, thinking I'd have something profound to say. All in all I guess I just feel happy to still be here, despite all the trials that have come up at times. I think I might still be in one because comments still don't work right, but hopefully that is fixed soon! Thanks to everyone who has been on this ride with me, you've made an amazing community and it's definitely great to see it turn 10 years old.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
Re: 10th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 11:55:15 PM »
I'm a bit late but Happy 10th Birthday Forum!

I'm pushing 40 myself (can I claim that at 36?) so I totally get what you're saying!

Not sure what I would have done without this Forum at a time when really bad stuff was happening in my life! The people here (and you are 1 of them Carl) literally saved my life! I won't go into details but let's just say there were times my faith in humanity and the point of living were challenged but usually a visit to my favourite Forum would sort my psyche out!

Here's to the next 10! :cheers:
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
Happy birthday, forum! What a wonderful 10 years it has been, Carl. I hope Pam stops in at some point just to say hi. I really miss her. Where would we be without all of her tireless work? Here's to many more years of Sims fun!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »
Cheers, guys. I've been in some dark places myself and the community and friends helped keep me moving forward. I don't know if it's age, experience, or being tired but I don't take negative things the way I used to and that's a good thing.

I told Pam about the tenth just recently, not sure if she'll pop in. I know she'd want to, but we know how it is trying to use this place on mobile. You gotta be at a PC unless you use something special like our evidently somehow broken tapatalk.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
I really needed a thumbs up button for both your comments :-)

I hope all the "old timers" that are still around the interwebs have a chance to pop in and say HB to the Forum. It would be epic!

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
Tapatalk is sort of working again. I get the odd refresh issue when I try to respond to things but I can at least access the Forum again

Happy 10th Birthday <3

Sent from my SM-A605FN using Tapatalk

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:58:42 AM »

I hope all the "old timers" that are still around the interwebs have a chance to pop in and say HB to the Forum. It would be epic!

What's that sonny m'boy? Stay off my lawn!

Man, this forum is one of the first I joined when I started my journey around the internet. It's been a part of my life for nigh on nine years -- so this isn't just happy birthday to the forum, but happy birthday to us all :)

(well not exactly but you get the sentiment)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 02:49:14 PM »

What's that sonny m'boy? Stay off my lawn!

Man, this forum is one of the first I joined when I started my journey around the internet. It's been a part of my life for nigh on nine years -- so this isn't just happy birthday to the forum, but happy birthday to us all :)

(well not exactly but you get the sentiment)
*shakes walking stick*

I'll show you what's that! Why would I want to be on your pawn? I haven't started a chess game with you?

*grumbles while adjusting hearing aid*

These whipper-snappers nowadays! No respect for their elders!

Hi Seabody!!!

Happy birthday to us all and to all a good ni.... wait... that's not right

Sent from my SM-A605FN using Tapatalk

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 10:42:50 PM »
@Carl sites change but the SMF forum platform never changes. ;) Real happy to be here. I guess I'm an old timer because this site saw me through college and beyond now. But that also doesn't matter much. Shout out to 2019's new members.

I told Pam about the tenth just recently, not sure if she'll pop in. I know she'd want to, but we know how it is trying to use this place on mobile. You gotta be at a PC unless you use something special like our evidently somehow broken tapatalk.

Eh we at least have a better mobile layout than the official forums. Small victories, guys. ;) (Really though, send Pam our best wishes)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded