Author Topic: Always Time for Tea Last Post 10/15 Team please send to the graveyard  (Read 10111 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
It's always time for tea with me and it's somewhat of an obsession as my collection of teas would show.  I will try to work in some tea knowledge and meanwhile, while writing will be enjoying a.............

A Perfect Cup of Tea, Introduction

Darjeeling heaved a contented sigh as she slowly sipped her cup of Dark Queen tea.  She was reluctant to try this one, it was rather expensive after all, but, since she had a sample, she figured, "why not?"  After all, it's very easy to throw out a cup of tea.  She had carefully brewed this one, wanting to give it the best chance of being delicious that she could.  The water was nice and hot, but not boiling.  Fresh spring water, not tap water, and no chemicals in it.  Clear and sweet as she had hoped the tea would be.  One did not boil the water for this tea.  Most people did not understand you do not boil water for every type of tea, but you DO "hot the pot" ahead of time, every time.  She even managed to quell her impatience and waited a full five, agonizing minutes before she took her first sip.  No milk, no sugar, no lemon.  Fair trial of a perfect cup before you add anything. Aaaaaahhhh, perfection!  Somehow she will have to afford to buy more because this one is outstanding.  As she sipped all her cares and woes just slipped away as if they never were there in the first place.  She snuggled down in her chair, remembering.  It was so long ago....
   Everything had been wonderful up to that one dreadful day.  Her Mom and Dad were almost the perfect parents and Darjeeling was allowed to learn and explore and become the person she wanted to be with their loving guidance and, yes, a bit of discipline too.  They had lived in the most amazing spot in the world on a large coffee plantation.  Coffee was the heart and soul of the family.  The wonderful aroma of coffee roasting and brewing was every where.  The climate in Union Cove in the land of San Simla,  was perfectly suited for coffee, and it certainly suited them.  Then, almost as if it all happened at once, the bottom fell out.  A virus attacked the coffee plants and they withered and died leaving the horrible stench of decay, as well as the smell and pain of defeat.  Her family had invested every simoleon they had in the plantation.  Bit by bit all the precious pieces and equipment was sold but it was not enough.  People were let go, including Darjeelings' ahma. They were facing bankruptcy.  All was not quite lost.  They still had the land, at least temporarily, and what was good growing soil and climate for coffee it turns out was even more perfect for tea!  She remembered listening to them as they excitedly spoke of the varieties they could grow and what it would take in people, plants and equipment to turn it all around.  Sure, it would take time, but they had all the time in the world, didn't they?  The excitement was palpable as they steamed off down the road to their bank to try and acquire the loan it would take to make it all work.  They never got there. 
    Darjeeling took another sip of her tea.  It really was amazing.  It almost was taking some of the pain away and almost, but not quite, putting her in a meditative state.  Her mind flew back to that day.  She remembered exactly how she looked, one of the last things her ahma had done for her before she too left that day, was comb out her hair and put on her prettiest sari.  She had a lot of hair, and it seemed her ahma combed even more slowly, as if she never wanted to leave.  But, the family was waiting and a ride into town with them was just the ticket.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Darjeeling: Enough, Ahma! I hate to see you go but I know you'll be back.  You've got to be able to come back, right?  Mom and Dad will get the loan and then you can come back here to work again.

Ahma:  Yes, lovely one.  Good Lord of all willing I will come back.  Now, one last hug and kiss and I'm off.

Darjeeling:  Oh, Ahma, I miss you already!

But she never came back.  None of them did.  Darjeeling closed her eyes against the pain and whispered a prayer for them all.  Perhaps another cup before the memories were too much.  After all, there's always time for tea.

EDITOR'S NOTES:
 Before we get back to Darjeeling's memories and where she's at now, a little history about tea.  Sri Lanka, (aka San Simla for my story), was once quite a producer of coffee along with cinnamon. In the 1830s, Europe suffered an economic crisis that affected the cinnamon plantation in Ceylon, so farmers decided to turn to planting coffee.  Nevertheless, this enterprise was not successful either, as coffee plantations were destroyed by a fungal disease called hemileia vastatrix, also known as coffee leaf disease, so farmers then opted for the production and cultivation of tea.  So my little family suffered because of this as well.
  Seeds from the tea plant Camellia Sinensis were first brought to the island in 1824. The British brought seeds from China to Ceylon and planted them in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya, with no commercial purposes in mind at first.  Now Ceylon, as it once was known, now Sri Lanka, is one of the countries producing some of the finest tea.  Aren't I glad those seeds were brought in?

What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
How to Brew Requirements
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
  It Begins

Founder:
          Darjeeling Anew

Traits:               Loves the Outdoors, Music Lover, Family Oriented and 
                        Collector from aspiration

Lot:                  Rippling Flats, Newcrest

Spouse:            Paka A Uha  (Merman)

Requirements:

1. Unique Career:         Gardener Floral Arranging Branch level 7

2. Unique Skill:

3.  10,000 Satisfaction Points  Done

4.  10,000 Simoleons              Done

5.  10 Good Friends

1. Eva Cappriciola
      2. Jade Rosa
      3. Jasmine Guerra
      4. Akshara Ramesh
      5. Candy Behr
      6. Paolo Rocca
      7. Darling Walsh
      8.McKenna Redman (gardener)
      9. Nalani Mahii Ai  Mermaid
     10. Ukopanipo Hekekla  Merman

6.  10 Freelance Gigs/Odd Jobs

1. Clean up trash in Solani   Failed

7. 10 Parties

1. Wedding  gold star
      2. Birthday  gold star
      3. Dinner Party  gold star

8.  10 Whims (emotions)

1. Happy             Call someone
      2. Inspired          Propose crazy scheme
      3. Confident        Tell unbelievable story
      4. Flirty               Kiss someone
      5. Energized        Do sit ups
      6. Embarrassed   Tell self-deprecating joke
      7. Focused          Observe the sky with telescope

9. 10 Community Lots (2hrs)

1. Hi-jinks Festival (Arts quarter, San Mishuno)
      2. San Mishuno Meadows Park
      3. Romance Festival
      4.  Spice Festival
      5.  Flea Market
      6.  Hermit's House
      7.  Oasis Springs Park
      8.  Sky Fitness San Mishuno gym
      9.  Harbor Quarters gym
     10. Narwhal Arms

10. 10 Item Museum Collection:

Generation Two:
  Assam Anew, Heir  and JonTom Anew, Twin sons!

Traits:
Heir toddler trait Independent  Twin toddler trait Angelic
 Both boys aged up with Happy Toddler  Assam chose Whiz Kid and Jon Tom chose Artistic Prodigy
Heir child trait: Cheerful

Lot:     Oasis Springs
Spouse:

Requirements:

1. Unique Career:
 2. Unique Skill:
 3.  /10,000 Satisfaction Points
 4.  /10,000 Simoleons
 5.  /10 Good Friends
 6.  /10 Freelance Gigs/Odd Jobs
 7.  /10 Parties
 8.  10 Whims (emotions)

1. Energized   Play with dolls `           completed as toddler
    2. Sad            Cry                             completed as toddler
    3. Angry         Smash doll house         completed as toddler

9.  /10 Community Lots (2hrs)

1. Oasis Park

Generation Three:

Traits:
Lot:
Spouse:
Requirements:

1. Unique Career:
 2. Unique Skill:
 4.  /10,000 Simoleons
 5.  /10 Good Friends
 7.  /10 Parties
 8.  /10 Whims (emotions)

Generation Four:

Traits:
Lot:
Spouse:
Requirements:

1. Unique Career:
 2. Unique Skill:
 4.  /10,000 Simoleons
 5.  /10 Good Friends
 7.  /10 Parties
 8.  /10 Whims (emotions)

----------
My No Buy Story

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Chapter Links
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
Reserved

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Plotting and Planning
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
Founder:  Home lot Newcrest
               Unique Career: Gardening Flower Arranging   
               Unique Skill:  Flower Arranging

Heir 1:     Home lot: Oasis Springs
               Unique Career: Scientist
               Unique Skill: either Handiness or Rocket Science

Heir 2:    Home lot: Strangerville
              Unique Career:  Military  Covert Ops
              Unique Skill:  Veterinary

Heir 3:   Home lot:  Magnolia Promenade
             Unique Career:  Culinary  Chef Branch
             Unique Skill:  Baking

Heir 4:   Home lot:  Windenberg
             Unique Career:  Culinary Mixologist
             Unique Skill:  Singing

Heir 5:   Home lot:  Willow Creek
             Unique Career:  Gardening Botanist
             Unique Skill:  Wellness

Heir 6:   Home lot:  San Mishuno Old Salt House
             Unique Career: Critic Food Branch
             Unique Skill:  Gourmet Cooking

Heir 7:   Home lot: Brindelton Bay
             Unique Career: Critic Arts Branch
             Unique Skill: Violin

Heir 8.   Home lot: Solani
             Unique Career: Conservationist Biologist
             Unique Skill:  Guitar

Heir 9:   To be announced in case I get and love Making Magic.  Otherwise, Del Sol Valley, Actor career, Acting Skill.

Wish me luck. Most all other skills are shared ones since so many of them are needed for so many careers.  Plans are open for change as needed.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Re: Always Time for Tea
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 04:56:53 AM »
Tea! Rooibos tea, in the future?! I'm told that some branch of my family in the UK were tea importers By Appointment to the royals in the 19th century. He says while drinking coffee.

I think Darjeeling is the best name for a tea sim.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
Definitely rooibos in the future.  Would you believe it is one of the few teas I have not tried?  Just ordered some from Harney & Sons where I buy pretty much all my tea.  I'm glad you liked her name!  All my heirs will have tea oriented names, including some of the Chinese names that are so beautiful in meaning, or so fierce!  Your ancestors are flipping over in their graves!  Coffee, indeed! lol  (I like coffee as well.) *Reaches for her Royal Doulton cup of Valentine's Blend*

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Wow, Joria, that is one long wall of text!

Looking forward to your founder's adventures and accomplishments! :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Darjeeling is stunning (and one of my favorite teas). I can't wait to see which world you start with. Good luck!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
Thanks you two!  Yeah, oshizu, it's a wall of text but then it's at least not umpteen screenies as I usually do. After all, it IS a story, right?  Don't worry, it will balance out, (sort of).  I was trying to "find my voice" and I think I have.
  Darjeeling is an awesome tea, and I have a lot to say about it later.  Can't say it's my favorite because there are so many yummy ones.  Did you know that one of the components of tea, particularly darjeeling, is L-theanine which works in your brain to A. combat the jitteriness you could get from caffeine which all black tea has, and B. and this is important, causes you to relax and yet be totally focused?  Who knew tea was so healthful? I really want to get busy with her but haven't placed her yet because I really want to play in Newcrest but need the answers from the team re:placing buildings there.  I'm tempted to do a "trial run" with placed buildings but if the answer is no that would be time wasted.  *reaches for Valentine's Blend tea, it's got rosebuds in it!"

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
I should drink more tea. I've been a coffee drinker for most of my life, but I have this weird thing that affects how food tastes (long and boring story!) and I've since lost my taste for coffee. I'm a bit of a plebe when it comes to tea, though. My absolute favorites are Earl Gray and English Breakfast tea. I just love the bergamot in Earl Gray. Jasmine tea is a favorite, too. Tea has all sorts of healthy antioxidants, but I didn't know Darjeeling had such great benefits.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm tempted to do a "trial run" with placed buildings but if the answer is no that would be time wasted.  *reaches for Valentine's Blend tea, it's got rosebuds in it!"

I already have several false starts under my belt. Not "exit without saving," but starting new games because I couldn't decide how Erwin should spend the first few days.
Personally, I think that as long as you "start a new game" for your official save, trial runs are fair play.

I echo reggikko's curiosity about where your lovely founder will start out. Just a wild guess that it won't be Strangerville, LOL!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »
I should drink more tea. I've been a coffee drinker for most of my life, but I have this weird thing that affects how food tastes (long and boring story!) and I've since lost my taste for coffee. I'm a bit of a plebe when it comes to tea, though. My absolute favorites are Earl Gray and English Breakfast tea. I just love the bergamot in Earl Gray. Jasmine tea is a favorite, too. Tea has all sorts of healthy antioxidants, but I didn't know Darjeeling had such great benefits.

Me too!  If I could only drink one tea it would be Earl Grey.  Did you know there are lots of varieties of Earl Grey even a white tea one?  They are all slightly different but they still have that wonderful bergamot smell.  I love Jasmine tea too.  Hmmm, come to think of it, haven't met a tea I don't like yet.......wait, yes I have.  I don't like chai!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
I'm tempted to do a "trial run" with placed buildings but if the answer is no that would be time wasted.  *reaches for Valentine's Blend tea, it's got rosebuds in it!"

I already have several false starts under my belt. Not "exit without saving," but starting new games because I couldn't decide how Erwin should spend the first few days.
Personally, I think that as long as you "start a new game" for your official save, trial runs are fair play.

I echo reggikko's curiosity about where your lovely founder will start out. Just a wild guess that it won't be Strangerville, LOL!

You're right!!  Too hot and dry, not to mention the craziness.  Perfect place is the biggest lot in Solani but that's a no-no so am contemplating whether I should go there anyway.  Certainly is lovely enough and I do love playing there.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »

You're right!!  Too hot and dry, not to mention the craziness.  Perfect place is the biggest lot in Solani but that's a no-no so am contemplating whether I should go there anyway.  Certainly is lovely enough and I do love playing there.

Yes, Strangerville is hot and dry, but it’s also sunny most of the time. The craziness is very easily ignored. :)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: Always Time for Tea update 9/4
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »
Chapter 1:  A New Start

Yes, I remember it well.  What a day that was!  My "darling" uncle, who by some terrible quirk of the gods, had become my "guardian".  He had total control of what should have been a decent, if stringent at the moment, inheritance.  There was all that land, the beautiful home, and possibly the chance of doing what my parents had dreamed of doing on that fateful day.  Somehow he managed to take it all and left me with the choice of marrying his odious new wife's son from a previous marriage, joining a convent, or moving out.  I opted for out.  He agreed to make sure I had adequate clothing, (having taken all my lovely saris!), and a ticket to a place called Newcrest.  Fortunately, he did not have ALL my money as my parents had wisely set aside a little sum in my "dowry" that no one, even the most greedy, grasping, person could touch. A perfect description of Uncle Cicero! It would have become mine on my majority, or the unlikely prospect of their joint deaths.  Unfortunately, it was the latter that gave me just what I needed to start over  Apparently they had known Cicero all too well, because true to form, he got it all.  Well, almost.
  So he dolled me up, as he called it.  Like a "doll" I was dressed for travel in my ancient ancestresses clothing!  She was quite the Victorian fashion plate, but somehow I didn't think it would do, and it certainly saved him the expense of having someone come and "haul all that old junk" away!
  I arrived full of both anticipation and trepidation.  It was wonderful!  A nice big piece of land surrounded by distant houses and with a gorgeous vista of fountain, waterfall, and trees.  Not many people.  It would seem mine would be the only home in town!

It was exhilarating! Oh, would Uncle be upset if he knew how lovely it was!  And, it was all mine.  A perfect, untouched piece of ground to start over with.  I could almost imagine the gardens now!
   First to get out of this black nightmare of a dress and hat.  Grandmother, forgive me, but I think your time has past.  And while I can honor you by wearing the black, it was time for a change!

Much better, but still not de rigueur.  Ah well, nothing to be done, and at least I looked less pathetic.  The ensemble was quite pretty really, but made me wonder what people were wearing in this part of the Simiverse.  I urgently needed the facilities and since there was no loo handy, I made my way to the park next door.  What a relief!  At least I wouldn't embarrass myself.  Living on an empty lot left a lot to be desired, but with limited funds I knew I'd have to be wise and at least having a restroom close by took care of one problem!

As I left the rest room I noticed there was a kiosk close by in the park.  Ah hah!  Food and maybe a cup of tea?  The female vendor looked at me strangely and asked if I was an actress in costume.  Oops.  Gauging by her clothing I knew I had a lot of shopping to do!  We chatted for a bit and lo and behold, after a quaint social convenience called "Cloud gazing", we became very good friends!  Eva Cappriciola was my first real friend in Newcrest.
   Eva clued me in on a lot things, like, having a club for more friends, and where to find things I might need.  Apparently this land had many fruits and herbs ready for harvesting and planting in my first garden.  I was in heaven and thanked  my wonderful parents who were looking down on me and smiling.  I knew I could make this work!

Just what I need right now is a cup of my Earl Grey premium blend.   The smell of bergamot is wafting up now, calling me to reach for the cup.  This time with some milk, no sugar for me, the way  "Americans" drink it, unlike the "British" who prefer lemon and sugar. (That's a generalization.  My British step-mum drank it with milk, in the cup first if you please, and sugar.) Mmmmmm, Earl Grey hot hits the spot every time no matter how you drink it or whether it is Earl Grey or Lady Earl Grey, which has blue cornflower blossoms blended in as well as orange and lemon,  or any of the other varieties, like London Fog, black tea, oolong, bergamot oil, lavender and vanilla, or Paris, Black tea, oolong tea, black currant flavor, vanilla flavor, bergamot oil, caramel, or even Red Earl Grey which is rooibos blended with bergamot.  No matter what, it is a base of black tea, often Assam or milder, Ceylon, but it must have the bergamot!
   Bergamot, one of the key ingredients and where most of the fragrance rises from the tea, is a citrus fruit the best of which comes from Calabria, Italy, known for it's spicy Calabrian chilies on pizza!  The fruit is similar to the Meyer Lemon.  The flavor is very floral, you could imagine it as a cologne!, very citrus-y with a hint of grapefruit. 
   No one knows for sure how the blend came to be, but one thing is certain,  it was named after the second Earl Grey, now known around the world for the delightful beverage he gave his name to rather than the passing of the Great Reform Act of 1832 and the abolition of slavery in the British Empire in 1833. I raise my cup to you!

----------
My No Buy Story

anything