Author Topic: Tips, tricks and things that bug me  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
Tips, tricks and things that bug me
« on: December 03, 2019, 03:29:42 AM »
There are a couple of things I've figured out that I haven't seen in guides or videos. Feel free to post yours if you have any.

- If you get to the commons area a little more than an hour before class, you'll get a prompt for "Go to Class Early". Once your sim is at the classroom, all their needs on the left side (Bladder, Hunger, Energy) will fill to 100%. So as long as you keep the others up, you can drag your tired, hungry Sim to class and it will be just fine. It doesn't seem to work on the very first day of the term, but that's a small complaint.

- Both Commons areas are buildable. Not much you can do with Britechester because it's kind of small. In Foxbury, I'll place a couple of Yoga mats so I can practice yoga while waiting for the Vendor to show up. There is also an empty room between the staircases that is just the right size for a bed. You can either make it your secret woo-hoo spot or a place to get some good sleep.

- Food at the cafeterias costs nothing, but they only serve at specific times. So if you get there too early or too late, you are out of luck. Nothing more annoying than the vendor setting out the spread at 6:30, but they won't sell until 7:00.

- If you choose the "Academic" aspiration, keep up your progress. One of the activities is to tutor 5 students. Tutoring a student takes 5 full hours. You don't want to cram that in on the last day.

- I've joined the Brainiacs on several occasions. One of the activity choices is "Study 2 hours". I never get credit for it. Another is to "Attend Class while Focused". That one is hit or miss. Most of the time it works, but not always.

- If you are a habitual gardener (like me), you don't have a lot of good choices. There is one small dorm at Foxbury where you can plant stuff, but you won't be able to take the plants home when you graduate. There is one lot in the Library area that you can move into. It's perfect for gardening, but you won't have much money left  over if you move there. Maybe some enterprising builder will come up with a garden cottage for that lot.

- My sim has acquired a bad habit of walking long distances to talk to other sims  when I haven't prompted that action. There's nothing you can do about it, but it's annoying when you are trying to accomplish something.

- Juice kegs seem awfully hard to tap.

- And what's up with the librarians in Britechester? They seem especially chatty when I'm working on a term paper or trying to finish homework.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
Re: Tips, tricks and things that bug me
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 01:34:54 AM »
Ugh, yes the chatty librarians.  And everyone else for that matter.  Buzz off, I'm BUSY!!!

Vlad keeps showing up as a student!

No, I DON'T want to play ping-pong, I'm working on robotics.  That's why I'm welding like a fiend on the robotics station.  Also on Mixer night, the UBrite students coming over to be obnoxious.  My last student was also a spellcaster, so I took to torching the ping-pong table, and Morphiating the UBrite students if they bugged me.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »
Apparently, one of the fixes today took away that filling your needs if you get to class early thing. I knew it was too good to last.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
Apparently, one of the fixes today took away that filling your needs if you get to class early thing. I knew it was too good to last.

That's such a bummer!  Students (and their Watcher) should be rewarded for arriving at class early!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »

Noooooooooooooooo...
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was an intended mechanic, an assumption that a college student knows enough to go find a restroom or whatever.  Hitting "Really Has to Pee" during your first class, you have another class immediately afterwards... oh good, I guess she found a bathroom between classes.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »
Exactly. And given how it was only bladder / hunger / sleep, it seemed like a deliberate choice.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »
One thing I just noticed today. Taking Notes improves your grade. Actively Listening improves your skill. It now tells you on a mouseover what the actions do. I don't think it was there before, but I'm not 100% sure.

It also seems like the soccer ball gives you the active trait somehow. Everyu time I have it out, it gives me a tense mood for not enough exercise. Pretty sure that's a bug from the new patch as it never happened to me before.

Offline Wench

• Llama Wrangler
    • Living Vicariously Through Sims
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »
If you have the Seasons pack and install Discover University, go to manage worlds nice and early and add a thermostat to each of the dorms. It's annoying and disturbing to be woken in the middle of the night just before your final exam as every single roommate in your dorm has just frozen to death in their sleep. There goes my sims friends list.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Wow, never had anyone freeze to death indoors.  I did have a new roommate arrive in the middle of the night, and just stand outside in Everyday clothes until he froze.  My introduction to him was when I got that startling drum roll and the camera snapped to him keeling over.

Offline Wench

• Llama Wrangler
    • Living Vicariously Through Sims
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
I do often get sims with the feeling cold moodlet while they are indoors with the thermostat switched on and wearing everyday clothes. Some of them just seem to feel the cold more. When it's a university dorm though, you can't do a lot. I took my first sim to university to take a quick peek, I walked into the dorm and one of the sims in the room started talking to me. Then she walked off to the bathroom and froze to death before she'd finished washing her hands. The whole room was full of other sims that were not cold.
When I went back to my main game to play it properly, the sim I took to university decided to stay at the little student house in Britechester (Darkwing?). I'd got almost to the end of my second term without a problem and then there was a cold spell in the middle of the night just before my final exam. I noticed the sim in the next bed go blue and woke my sim up to see if I could wake her and make her put on warm clothing. Just as well I did that as my sim turned blue just as she woke up. I hadn't even had a chance for the cold moodlet to register on my brain at fast speed while my sim slept. Changed clothes for my sim and tried to wake the other sim but couldn't do it before she died. That was when Grimmy turned up and i found out that the two sims in the room upstairs were dead too. Accidental sole survivor of house freezing to death. Now I'm going to make myself build a starting save file that has a thermostat added to the dorms in case I forget. I could just turn off weather affecting sims I guess but it seems silly that it seems to have been overlooked in game.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
Sims being cold inside a dorm and/or freezing to death in a dorm is a bug (click for report)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

anything