Author Topic: What do you do when your out of ideas and lack inspiration?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
What do you do when your out of ideas and lack inspiration?
« on: October 17, 2020, 07:07:59 AM »
Right now that is where I am with the Sims. I have been playing since The Sims 1. I have never gotten board in all that time. The Sims has always been a way to escape, my number 1 distraction. Always a new pack to explore and master, a new story to tell, a new build to mess up, or a new fantasy to create. But lately I have been well bored. So I want to be inspired again. So I thought I would ask what you are working on. What are you building? What sim are you creating? What goals do you have in your current game? What story are you telling? Or are you just bored like me? Thank you.

Offline flotsette

• Nooboo
Re: What do you do when your out of ideas and lack inspiration?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
Hey scoed! I have only been playing less than 2 years, so I don't have the wealth of experience you do in the game, and I'm still exploring all the packs. But I wanted to mention that I am a fan of Dr. Gluon on Twitch & YouTube, and he recently invented a Hotel Challenge. It's kind of based off the old Asylum Challenge idea, but making it more like the old TV show Fawlty Towers, where John Cleese ran a third-rate hotel. It looked so fun I had to play it myself, and you might like it too. 

The idea is you play only one sim in a full household -- the hotel manager, who has to cook and make drinks for the hotel guests, as well as repairing and cleaning everything, doing laundry, and making any side income. You get paid based on the needs bars of the other 7 sims in the household, who are the hotel guests. The better they are doing, the more money you make. Catch: there is only one bathroom!  The original idea was to complete several aspirations while doing all that other stuff too, but I made my own goal of fixing up the hotel so it's actually nice.

You can make your own hotel, but I used the one Dr. Gluon made, and ended up renovating it so it's super nice now. I've also been downloading guests made by the community (find both in the gallery at #gluonguests)  Dr. Gluon used the lot traits Cursed, Haunted and Creepy Crawlies which makes it really challenging. There's also a spreadsheet on the Discord which helps you calculate the money you make each day.

The entire LP is on YouTube and if you watch an episode you'll get the idea!!

Hotel LP RULES: Full household, 1 manager and 7 guests, but you only control the manager. Only one bathroom is allowed for the whole hotel. Only you cook the meals for the guests. No maids/butlers. Every 2 days a guest leaves and a new one arrives. SCHEDULE: 8-9 AM Breakfast / 3-5 PM Serve 3 bar drinks / 6 pm Dinner. Every day at midnight check the need bars of the guests and get money based on the color: Green (40), Yellow (20), Orange (0), Red (-40).If a Guest Dies you Lose $1000.  Submit a sim to be a guest in Doc's hotel using the hashtag #gluonguests #hotelchallenge

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
@flotsette Thanks, I will check it out.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »
<Ahem> the Challenge team offers short and long challenges in the Challenge section. Just saying.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:50:16 PM »
Personally, I do not enjoy unstructured game play. Whenever I start a game with the intent to "play casually," I abandon that save after a few sim weeks.
My favorite way of playing is mult-generational challenges and I also love building.

So, I love the forum's dynasty challenges. Some of them require moving and building homes in different lots, which I really enjoy.
Each of them requires different strategies for approaching The Sims 4, which revitalizes my interest in the game.
I've also done two Pinstar Legacy challenges as well as the Wonder Child and Apocalypse challenges.

My current project?
I'm currently taking a simming break as I wait until November, when the Challenge Team will unveil a new dynasty challenge.

Hope you find a way to revive your love for Sims 4.  Maybe you just need a break now?  We all do now and then.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:46:16 PM »
I stop playing Sims 4 and return to playing Sims 3. :) With all its problems, I still prefer it to Sims 4 overall.

Offline Franki

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 01:45:12 AM »
I go play other stuff until that frustrates me enough to want to return to Sims, I just came back this week from a few months of just not playing.

My current goal is to finally get my Straud/Masters multi-generational household under control and back down to the final two to then branch off again, before the new pack comes out which after the livestream has got me interested in moving the family from their longstanding position in Brindleton Bay to starting from scratch in Mt Komorebi. Seriously, though give me a fun new death and I'm pretty happy, I do get way too excited sometimes over killing sims.
Straud/Masters - Tangled and defying untangling attempts

I Aten't Dead - Granny Weatherwax

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
Just take some time away from Sims. Don't fear the oddness or emptiness of not playing. Allow yourself to experience the lack of an immediate escape - don't worry, you'll survive :) Personally, I listen to music and find videos on YouTube to watch about some interesting subject. Then, all of a sudden and all on its own, the inspiration returns one day. I believe that our minds must be allowed to be bored and recharge sometimes. It's not a dangerous thing, just slightly uncomfortable in the beginning. Good luck!
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

anything